Dual Nationality How does it work? (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I have a question for anyone with dual nationality.

I have finally decided to apply for Maltese citizenship through my Mother and Grandmother being born in Malta.

This then entitles me to a Maltese passport alongside my British passport but removes the need to do the 90 days rules for myself and my Wife who will be travelling on a British passport when travelling together. I have Never considered this before to be honest and don't necessarily want to go for more than 90 days. It just means if I did 90 days I don't have to wait another 90 before returning. We also found out that this can only be done whilst my mother is still alive and this has only become relevant in the last few years for obvious reasons.

Looking forward I am just wondering how this will work at passport control? Anyone with experience of this? Extra documents required to be carried?

I will hand over my Maltese passport along with my wife's British passport. Will they no longer stamp the passports or just stamp the British passport?

At 91 days on return to UK for example do they then require proof of marriage?

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Is your question whether your wife can stay over 90 days because you can?

Otherwise: just make sure you come out of a country on the same passport you entered. No need to show both.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
To reiterate.
ALWAYS use the same passport on exit and entry.
NEVER mix and match

Take your marriage cert with you.
As your wife is travelling with a EU citizen she is permitted to stay inside the EU as long as you are (Typically 180 days)
(Although not in Malta, where you have automatic right of residency, and she does not)

Not sure on the stamping the UK passport bit, even if they do, with the Marriage Cert it should be explainable re the 'overstay' problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
You leave the UK on your British passport, enter and leave Malta on your Maltese passport and re-enter the UK on your British passport.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

I have finally decided to apply for Maltese citizenship through my Mother and Grandmother being born in Malta.

This then entitles me to a Maltese passport alongside my British passport but removes the need to do the 90 days rules for myself and my Wife who will be travelling on a British passport when travelling together. I have Never considered this before to be honest and don't necessarily want to go for more than 90 days. It just means if I did 90 days I don't have to wait another 90 before returning. We also found out that this can only be done whilst my mother is still alive and this has only become relevant in the last few years for obvious reasons.

Looking forward I am just wondering how this will work at passport control? Anyone with experience of this? Extra documents required to be carried?

I will hand over my Maltese passport along with my wife's British passport. Will they no longer stamp the passports or just stamp the British passport?

At 91 days on return to UK for example do they then require proof of marriage?
You leave and enter the UK with the British passport, leave and enter the EU with the EU one and simply ignore any 90 day considerations altogether. Simple.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp

Mrs B has both British and Irish passports, when we travel to the EU the Brit passport stays at home in a drawer. At passport control both passports (1British 1Irish) are handed over, both are scanned. The B one is stamped, the I is not. We don’t carry other documentation. (The grey hair and stress lines make it obvious we are married) We haven’t yet tested the 90 day rule.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Is your question whether your wife can stay over 90 days because you can?

Otherwise: just make sure you come out of a country on the same passport you entered. No need to show both.
Yes I do believe this is the case.
To reiterate.
ALWAYS use the same passport on exit and entry.
NEVER mix and match

Take your marriage cert with you.
As your wife is travelling with a EU citizen she is permitted to stay inside the EU as long as you are (Typically 180 days)
(Although not in Malta, where you have automatic right of residency, and she does not)

Not sure on the stamping the UK passport bit, even if they do, with the Marriage Cert it should be explainable re the 'overstay' problem.
Thanks. I did think the marriage certificate would be something to carry
Mrs B has both British and Irish passports, when we travel to the EU the Brit passport stays at home in a drawer. At passport control both passports (1British 1Irish) are handed over, both are scanned. The B one is stamped, the I is not. We don’t carry other documentation. (The grey hair and stress lines make it obvious we are married) We haven’t yet tested the 90 day rule.
Thanks.

I have the grey hair and stress lines to prove the marriage certificate is not fake:LOL: But will take it anyway.

This is the same scenario for us then although we will be testing the 90 days rule.
More along the lines of 2 months out in Europe. Home for a month. Then Europe again for 2 months. Works better for us.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp

Thanks.

I have the grey hair and stress lines to prove the marriage certificate is not fake:LOL: But will take it anyway.

This is the same scenario for us then although we will be testing the 90 days rule.
More along the lines of 2 months out in Europe. Home for a month. Then Europe again for 2 months. Works better for us.
That’s the same for us. We don’t spend too long in any one spell but there can be multiple trips. We’re in Spain at the moment then on a tour to Greece in April. I think we’ll be a little over the limit when we return in June.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I sometimes mix and match and never had a problem , UK or Austrian passport , leave UK on Austrian go to EU come back in with UK ,, recently left UK on Austrian went to Thailand ,on Austrian and back into UK on Austrian ,, my Daughter has Triple nationality ,,Thai, UK , Austria but the Thai pasport is almost useless ... I also have trump card in a Seamans Book ,,very useful can make all sorts of problems go away and prioritise border crossings under international law.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

It might get be worthwhile then that in addition to your marriage certificate you keep copies of any ferry bookings or other travel tickets in your joint names to provide evidence for your wife that you were travelling together. A bit belt and braces I know, but better be prepared for any eventuality than be delayed by an officious border guard later on.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
It might get be worthwhile then that in addition to your marriage certificate you keep copies of any ferry bookings or other travel tickets in your joint names to provide evidence for your wife that you were travelling together. A bit belt and braces I know, but better be prepared for any eventuality than be delayed by an officious border guard later on
Good idea.

We only travel together anyway. But will keep ferry bookings as well. It can only help (y)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Think it's been said but out and into UK on British
Into and out of Europe on Maltese.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Each European country has its own rules (not Schengen) about how long European citizens can stay without registering as resident.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Each European country has its own rules (not Schengen) about how long European citizens can stay without registering as resident.
I do believe so. But it is not enforced because there are no borders. Theoretically The Germans we have seen spending 4 months in Spain should not stay that long they only have 90 days. The same as us. They have confirmed this to us but nobody checks.
But 89 days in France followed by 89 days in Spain sounds ok with me

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I sometimes mix and match and never had a problem , UK or Austrian passport , leave UK on Austrian go to EU come back in with UK ,, recently left UK on Austrian went to Thailand ,on Austrian and back into UK on Austrian ,, my Daughter has Triple nationality ,,Thai, UK , Austria but the Thai pasport is almost useless ... I also have trump card in a Seamans Book ,,very useful can make all sorts of problems go away and prioritise border crossings under international law.
I would very strongly NOT to mix and match passports on a trip.

I was travelling with a work colleague with a Canadian and UK passport

The previous year he had gone from Canada to the USA on the Canadian passport.
Then gone from the USA to the UK on the UK passport.

We arrived from the UK at JFK in new York.
He used the Canadian Passport for entry as US and Canadians had an express lane.

They were going to charge him with illegal entry and overstaying.
Very luckily he had been on a trip to Singapore and had the stamps to prove it.
so was able to prove he had not been in the USA for more than 3 weeks, but they contacted both Singapore and UK immigration authorities.

Lets just say I was in the hotel bar before he even left the airport!

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I've done the same and never been an issue. Irish and UK passports.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
my Daughter has Triple nationality ,,Thai, UK , Austria
Yes I have an acquaintance who has 3 ,UK ,Irish & Polish. Uses them as in on 1,out on 2 back on 3, out on 2 etc;etc.
As she says the better for confusion
& is perfectly legal

He used the Canadian Passport for entry as US and Canadians had an express lane.

so was able to prove he had not been in the USA for more than 3 weeks, but they contacted both Singapore and UK immigration authorities.

Yes but they have a rule that you have to arrive on one & leave on the same .If you have dual or better including US the US one has to be used in/out

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
We had a Greek customer officer kick up a fuss about my wife overstaying a year before, ( 8 months in Europe ) we did only fly in for a week in kefalonia so he made a point going through old stamps, I did have to jump in, show marriage certificate and explained the rules to him, he didn’t like me explaining it to him but with other people overhearing the conversation , he soon waved us through🤷🏻‍♂️👍

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
My wife of 27 years is Thai she cant get a UK passport due to her not being able to stay the requisite 2 years in UK rule for citizenship , due to her Thai business commitments , I have the money to get her UK citizenship.

So for 27 years we get10 years visitor visas for UK she can stay 6months at a time and also we get he Schengen visa from Austria , its a pain in the bum ..

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do believe so. But it is not enforced because there are no borders. Theoretically The Germans we have seen spending 4 months in Spain should not stay that long they only have 90 days. The same as us. They have confirmed this to us but nobody checks.

Any EU Citizen can stay as long as they want in another EU State but the should register their stay after 90 days.

Nobody checks.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Any EU Citizen can stay as long as they want in another EU State but the should register their stay after 90 days.

Nobody checks.
That's what I mean't
I believe it's mean't as if your in European Union use the Maltese passport outside of Europe use UK passport it's to do with the passport you travel on is the High commission/goverment you go to if you have an issue.
I could not say travel to USA on the Maltese passport have a problem and then contact the British high commission to sort the problem. (although I would :LOL:)

I think that is what is mean't and what I have seen somewhere.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The one negative thing I’ve found with multiple passports is that they all need renewing at some point and it ain‘t a free process🤔 I’ve tried to spread mine out to lessen the burden.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Because you're using the passport of the jurisdiction.

You're leaving and entering the UK as a British citizen, with the rights and obligations of a citizen.

And you're entering and leaving the EU as an EU citizen, with associated rights.
Do you mean as I said previously Europe and Rest of world
The one negative thing I’ve found with multiple passports is that they all need renewing at some point and it ain‘t a free process🤔 I’ve tried to spread mine out to lessen the burden.
Every 10 years means I'll probably only get one Maltese passport for extended travel. in 10 years time will see how I'm doing :LOL:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Yes but they have a rule that you have to arrive on one & leave on the same .If you have dual or better including US the US one has to be used in/out

gus-lopez

The USA rule is another one.
The Americans believe their passport "Trumps" all others.
Despite the fact that that the USA is 28th on the global list.
Pre-Brexit the UK passport was considerably higher, but it's still higher above the USA at 18th.

My sister in law holds a US and UK passport (Born in the USA to US parents, but lives in the UK, married to a UK/German citizen)
She normally travels under the UK passport (including to the USA) as it has higher ranking.
However she got pulled at US immigration on last entry and asked why she was travelling on a "third class" document when she had a full US passport.

They would not accept entry on the UK passport and insisted on using the USA one.
And told her not to be "an unpatriotic silly girl" next time (she is late 40's)

Thankfully they were flying into New York.
Imagine they had landed in the mid-west!
She would have done for Treason!

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
gus-lopez

The USA rule is another one.
The Americans believe their passport "Trumps" all others.
Despite the fact that that the USA is 28th on the global list.
Pre-Brexit the UK passport was considerably higher, but it's still higher above the USA at 18th.

My sister in law holds a US and UK passport (Born in the USA to US parents, but lives in the UK, married to a UK/German citizen)
She normally travels under the UK passport (including to the USA) as it has higher ranking.
However she got pulled at US immigration on last entry and asked why she was travelling on a "third class" document when she had a full US passport.

They would not accept entry on the UK passport and insisted on using the USA one.
And told her not to be "an unpatriotic silly girl" next time (she is late 40's)

Thankfully they were flying into New York.
Imagine they had landed in the mid-west!
She would have done for Treason!
Some countries forbid their citizens from entering or leaving their country on a foreign passport.

And, of course, some countries don't allow dual nationality at all.

So all sorts of permutations.

But it's a good rule to enter and leave a country whose citizenship you have with their passport.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Thanks.

No need to take the marriage certificate, you both have the same name and address even though you may have a Maltese passport what you are doing is common practise don't worry about it, they know your NI number as well. When you renew your British passport send a copy of the maltese one all they will do is check the name is exactly the same in both, they won't ask you for a copy of your Maltese one but if you dont send a copy it will deny the issuing of the new British one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back