Driving from Split to Dubrovnik (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
This year I think we'll be driving to Split to pick up where we left off last year and carry on to Dubrovnik.
I know this means driving through Bosnia but our insurance company says they can't insure us. we've also heard of people getting a ferry.
i can't find out much about the ferry; where it goes from and where to etc.
I know Brexit might complicate things but putting that aside for the moment we need some advice please on whats best.
Thanks.
Steph

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This year I think we'll be driving to Split to pick up where we left off last year and carry on to Dubrovnik.
I know this means driving through Bosnia but our insurance company says they can't insure us. we've also heard of people getting a ferry.
i can't find out much about the ferry; where it goes from and where to etc.
I know Brexit might complicate things but putting that aside for the moment we need some advice please on whats best.
Thanks.
Steph
That was the same situation for us in 2016 Steph, so we turned round when we got to Split, however, I have since heard that some insurance firms (certainly Comfort) are issuing Green Cards, at a cost on a weekly or monthly basis.
I have also been informed that you can purchase third party insurance the the border, but not sure how accurate that is.

You might find more info Here.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
That was the same situation for us in 2016 Steph, so we turned round when we got to Split, however, I have since heard that some insurance firms (certainly Comfort) are issuing Green Cards, at a cost on a weekly or monthly basis.
I have also been informed that you can purchase third party insurance the the border, but not sure how accurate that is.
Yes you can purchase at border but as you rightly say it is only third party and I wonder how well regulated it is. When I looked at a friend's pabperwhork 3 years ago their was no English translation. Ferry is safest I believe.

You might find more info Here.

Good luck,

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
This is what we did last year, and on the way back we took the chance and drove the 9 miles through Bosnia...:eek:

It was quick and easy but ten minutes of a little worry of 50k Motorhome not being insured....:whistle:

20190225_124836.jpg

:eek: :LOL: (y) Bob.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This is what we did last year, and on the way back we took the chance and drove the 9 miles through Bosnia...:eek:

It was quick and easy but ten minutes of a little worry of 50k Motorhome not being insured....:whistle:
When I speak with others Gary, that's how most folks appear to do it, ie, on a wing and a prayer. :LOL:

Cheers,

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

I did have sunglasses on so no one recognised me....:D2

When I speak with others Gary, that's how most folks appear to do it, ie, on a wing and a prayer. :LOL:

Cheers,

I did think afterwards that there could have been a police car waiting half way along pulling in tourists and issuing fines.....
Would be a good money spinner..:LOL:

I’m a “how lucky do you feel punk” kinda guy while on holiday :D

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Ploce to trpanj ferry, it’s not expensive and not worth the riski of driving through Bosnia, it only takes a shunt up the rear and it will cost you a fortune.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We took the chance both ways. A lovely stretch of 9 miles with beautiful coastlines to take your mind off not being insured!

We weren’t too impressed with Dubrovnik though - really expensive non ACSI campsite and although walking the walls was OK the rest of it was just shops and cafes - we wouldn’t bother to drive that far again.

On the other hand, a trip to Split must include Froggy Land - Dubrovnik has nothing to touch that! ;)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We did the same as Just Smiffy, ferry on the way down, risk it on the way back.

I felt safer on the way back, the peninsular roads are very narrow and some trucks coming the other way were well over. The edge of the road is a half metre ditch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back