Driving a motorhome with the gas on! (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair has hit the nail on the head. Section 96(3)(c) allows the use of a gas fired fridge and heater while a vehicle is in motion. So I am afraid the original complaint is wrong.
I wasn't sure about the fridge with a naked flame at the back but thought water heater being inside the vehicle would pass.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Good points

Here are the links to research:
Hmm there is a bit of reading there.. just had a quick look...
They defiantly say that a cylinder that is vented poses less risk of rupture, but as I said above still can.
Trouble is in a fire situation there are so many variables not least been able to get close enough to apply useful cooling.
Again from memory the worst case sinario would be a heat source impinging on any part of the container that was above the liquid level of the contents of a cylinder... if that was the case you didn't have a lot of time as the container would be weakened very quickly without cooling been available..
Andy...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes it will.

But it takes quite a long time, to get hot enough to vent so no blind panic to do a 4 min mile.

And of course venting does not automatically mean fire.

If there's nothing to ignite it then the gas will just disperse harmlessly into the atmosphere.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Might have to take mine back then............................................. as without it when driving I would get cold.
fire1.jpg

Nice.................................................................................................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I DO however, turn of our fridge whilst topping up the re-fillable gas bottles, because I suspect that if the fridge fired up whilst I'm dis-connecting the filler hose, I may just get a rather large bang !!!!! Because the fridge is sited above the re-fill point.
Mitch.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No more dangerous than when you get out with your lit fag and mobile phone in hand :D

The mobile phone thing is an urban myth anyway.

As a point of trivia, in America a few years ago more women than men were involved in petrol station fire incidents, and the reason was how Americans behave at petrol stations. Because of fear of armed crime they stick the nozzle in the filler pipe, lock it open, then get back in the car for security, waiting for it to click off automatically. Problem was their clothes rubbing against the car upholstery generated a static charge which occasionally sparked a fire, as the charge grounded through the car body when they put the filler cap back in. Because more women got back into the car than men, thus getting more charged up with static, more women had fire incidents.

Not a lot of people know that.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
And of course venting does not automatically mean fire.

If there's nothing to ignite it then the gas will just disperse harmlessly into the atmosphere.

As long as it vents into the open air
In a closed area (Gas Box) there is a chance (not saying definitely) a chance that it will explode without an ignition source (see https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/compressed/compress.html )

But which ever way you look at it we are all carrying around a dangerous Flammable substance and we need to be careful

I could have said we are all carrying two potential bombs in our gas lockers so be careful out there folks

:oops:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As long as it vents into the open air
In a closed area (Gas Box) there is a chance (not saying definitely) a chance that it will explode without an ignition source (see https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/compressed/compress.html )

But which ever way you look at it we are all carrying around a dangerous Flammable substance and we need to be careful

I could have said we are all carrying two potential bombs in our gas lockers so be careful out there folks

:oops:

If the gas locker on your motorhome is enclosed rather than adequately vented then that's a very serious issue. I suggest returning it to the dealer immediately (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What I have not seen stressed, is that Propane (in fact virtually any `ane) is composed of gasses that are HEAVIER than Air. And will collect at the Lowest point, and is why there are (or should be) vents in the floor of the Caravan or Motorhome, and Gas locker and which makes Drains an issue!. To be honest, I have driven more often with the gas ON than off. The combustion of any gas, requires it be within the right zone, too much oxygen or too little and combustion will not take place. As for "venting", If you remember they left the Iraq Oil fields burning for long enough until they could be capped.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As I'm sure most people know, in a fire closed gas bottles are effectively bombs. As the bottles get hotter and hotter the pressure inside the bottle increases and increases until eventually BOOM.

Most know that doesn't happen, well its not supposed to with modern bottles. Hollywood loves them, but rareley do they go "boom" I think myth busters shot the hell out of some to try and get them to explode but they refused.

This video shows bottles can explode but it looks like these bottles were not of a safe kind. :Eeek:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
but it looks like these bottles were not of a safe kind.
LOL.... I think the video demonstrates that when directly involved in a fire there is no such thing as a safe kind..:LOL:
andy

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

This video shows bottles can explode but it looks like these bottles were not of a safe kind. :Eeek:

The silver car near it managed to avoid all the bottles. :LOL: I bet it needed a respray.
I wasn't sure about the fridge with a naked flame at the back but thought water heater being inside the vehicle would pass.

Martin
But the water heater is sealed from the inside & gets it air for combustion from outside where it also vents.So I would think that the flame would be classed as outside ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The silver car near it managed to avoid all the bottles. :LOL: I bet it needed a respray.

But the water heater is sealed from the inside & gets it air for combustion from outside where it also vents.So I would think that the flame would be classed as outside ?
Indeed, and you could be right but it doesn't matter to me anyway as I never run things on the move, but I do leave the gas bottles turned on and as far as I know that is still OK.

Martin

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
"if there is anything left of the house it's a fire, not an explosion"
I laughed out loud at that one. Totally true but beautifully expressed.

OK fine. If it's a bottle with a pressure relief valve it will vent.

So it's going to vent either way open or closed.

I was always told better out than in, so I am all for early venting :p

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Mr Camber says that the practice is "totally illegal"
Simple way to deal with people like that ...
Ask them which law(s) are being broken. Then crack open a beer and enjoy the whispering silence (y)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Why doesn't he go back to looking at his neighbors and calling the council to complain about them and forget what others do witht their gas.
He probably manages to do that as well phoning the police because someone's parked near his house even though he doesn't have a car himself.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Somewhat strange that Mr Gas Chamber started a thread, and not one comment or response to any posting,I guess that means he's too tight fisted to contribute subs to MHF but is quite generous in his observations and would like to police and supervise us all in our way of life.!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Somewhat strange that Mr Gas Chamber started a thread, and not one comment or response to any posting,I guess that means he's too tight fisted to contribute subs to MHF but is quite generous in his observations and would like to police and supervise us all in our way of life.!
I would be if he had indeed created the original post BUT it was Jim passing on the wise words of a certain G Camber.

Martin

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It was Jim who created the original post, and whilst I might disagree with the way that it was phrased, I have mixed views about the issue of leaving the gas on whilst travelling.

As previously stated, I don't, but that's because my fridge works fine on battery, and I can wait 10 minutes or so for hot water to wash up when I arrive at my destination and wait for the kettle to boil. Our collision shut off on our one year old M/H doesn't have a visible reset button, and the manufacturers mandate that gas must always be off whilst travelling. I find it a bit mean that they didn't fit a user resettable collision shut off valve, but having a three way fridge and diesel heating, it's not a problem for us.

On top of all that I am a boater, I have seen far too many burned out boats on the river in the past and heard too many horror stories, so I am probably being hyper cautious. Boats have bilges, M/H don't

One of our best friends is head of the regional fire and rescue service, worked his way up from the bottom, and he tells me that the manual is right (in our case), "turn off all gas whilst travelling". He also tells me that a correctly installed modern fridge should automatically shut off gas whilst the engine is running, but unless gas were required for a suitably approved heater, and a visible collision shut off were fitted, and provided you weren't on a ferry, rail or pickup truck, then one should turn the gas off as a matter of routine whilst travelling. When I asked him if that was official policy, my friend looked at me and simply said "that is what is officially recorded on the fire report, so one can assume that may be a determining factor as to how or if the insurers settle any claims".

I don't go a great deal on this nanny culture of 'elf and safety, but taking prudent steps to avoid any unnecessary risk seems only sensible

Last edited:

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I've never been really happy with the fridge's performance powered from the alternator, does it run better (cooler) on gas?
I always turn my gas off at the regulator when on the move as I also thought it was illegal.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
96.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), this regulation applies to every motor vehicle and trailer.

(2) Paragraphs (3) and (4) do not apply to a vehicle constructed or adapted for the conveyance of goods under controlled temperatures.

(3) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, in any vehicle to which this paragraph applies, while the vehicle is in motion on a road, any gas-fired appliance except—

(a)a gas-fired appliance which is fitted to engineering plant while the plant is being used for the purposes of the engineering operations for which it was designed;

(b)a gas-fired appliance which is permanently attached to a bus, provided that any appliance for heating or cooling the interior of the bus for the comfort of the driver and any passengers does not expose a naked flame on the outside of the appliance; or

(c)in any other vehicle, a refrigerating appliance or an appliance which does not expose a naked flame on the outside of the appliance and which is permanently attached to the vehicle and designed for the purpose of heating any part of the interior of the vehicle for the comfort of the driver and any passengers.

I suspect that "does not expose a naked flame on the outside of the appliance" would cover most modern Heating appliances.? (Modern) R-V Refrigerators, "Normally" run on 12V on the road anyway. And have a time delay before firing up sufficient to allow refuelling (unless you have 200Gall tanks!). Which implies that the legality is not in question, just whether the individual is comfortable with the Cylinder/Tank valves open.

As always "You pays your money"______?

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
It’s all perfectly safe and legal I believe if you have a SecuMotion or similar regulator.

85660599-BD15-44B4-A285-5E9E2B0A1D79.jpeg

Providing it works.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
I saw a car and caravan roll over on the a34 years ago, every body stopped to help . One truck driver found the calor bottle hissing away in the ditch with regulator and hose still connected......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back