Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

We are looking to purchase a drive away awning for our VW T5. I think we have decided on the Outwell California. Has anyone got one of these?

Any other advice/experience welcome. It is a lot to invest in so would like to get it right first time if at all possible (y)

It is definitely needed for the extra space and the 1 or 2 bedrooms it will offer.

Thank you

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, it looks great but maybe a tad big for some of the pitches that we have been on, you may have to go on the grass especially at the CC and CCC sites, as we tend to stick with hard standings as we prefer them, if you are ok with grass pitches then it is fine when we had a VWcamper we used a smaller awning as packing everything away was a tight fit we have just bought an inflatable one .

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
We were looking at the inflatable ones, which one did you get? How do you go on if it gets punctured?

I think we will be sticking to the big sites as with 3 kids we need all the facilities!!

Everything is a tight fit with us lot, I was telling the girls last night how they are going to be limited.... especially on the shoe front!!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Size of pitch is a very valid point. We had a Kyham Driveaway awning for a couple of years - so big you could almost park the van inside it !
Even on supersize pitches it was a squeeze, other size pitches were simply too small (for a T4 and awning)
So yes, it's certainly worth planning and measuring before purchase...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Yes it is a valid point, I'm going to check out some of the pitch sizes at some of the site's we want to go to!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Brodie, great name by the way I have a son named Brodie. We had a few VW T5 California's over the years but have now moved away from the pop top. We had a couple of different awnings but preferred the rear door version for a few reasons. It was quick to erect light and compact to carry and you could leave it stand alone and still use it as a side door day awning. Size and weight are important with a pop top. Good luck with your search.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a movelite XLF drive away awning ttat we haven't used for ages and won't use again.
If you're interested you could have it for £60 (subject to me finding it and checking it over first)

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, Brodie with regard to the inflatable awning we have a Kampa Midi air ,its easy to repair as and when just like a bike puncture repair kit ,it also has a removable groundsheet which should come in handy,:) and it only takes 10 minutes to erect.I have just bought the bedroom tent in case we have visitors :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back