Draining Clean Water (1 Viewer)

joe777

Free Member
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 15
Hi all,
Sadly my father passed away last week and has left us with a 2006 Fiat Ducato 15 JTD MWB, UK model.
He told us with it getting colder, the clean water would need draining away so it doesn't freeze in the pipes.
He said it was drained from under the fake floor in the wardrobe, but i can't see anyway of doing that (image below)
As you can probably guess me and my family know absolutely nothing about motorhomes but figured i'd try my luck here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

20211123_134653.jpg

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
You could try lifting that yellow lever into upright position and that should drain the boiler.

OP
OP
J

joe777

Free Member
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 15
You could try lifting that yellow lever into upright position and that should drain the boiler.
That was quick! Sounds like that'd be a start, but i presume there's a main tank somewhere too that feeds the boiler?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
yes freshwater tank somewhere and tap or plug in base of tank.
Have a look somewhere near where your fresh water filler is .

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Sorry to learn of your loss.

The little yellow lever on the right, flick that vertical will allow the boiler to drain.

Open all the taps in the vehicle, and leave them open - if the mixer type open them so they are in mid position.

You need to find the cold water storage tank and also drain that. There may be a blue drain cock underneath the vehicle.

If you can turn the power on, once everything is drained, run the water pump for about 30 seconds to push any remaining water out. Also try and flush the toilet to push water out of any valve or pump on that.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Also check whether your toilet flush is from the main tank or separate. Eldiss tend to have a separate flush.

Welcome to the lifestyle too.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you can't find a drain tap for the tank you could lift the yellow lever to turn on the pump....you will hear the pump pulsing....if it doesn't start try opening a tap.
The lever is between pump and boiler so will eventually empty the fresh water tank and boiler.
When water stops flowing under the van the tank and boiler will be empty.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
If you can't find a drain tap for the tank you could lift the yellow lever to turn on the pump....you will hear the pump pulsing....if it doesn't start try opening a tap.
The lever is between pump and boiler so will eventually empty the fresh water tank and boiler.
When water stops flowing under the van the tank and boiler will be empty.
If the pump does not run when doing the above, it and the 12v power might need turning on at the control panel. Control panels differ, so if you are not sure, post a pic and somebody will help.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
good idea once you think its all drained is to remove the shower head and blow down the hose
Taps for the shower should be set as others have suggested and left on in the mid-position (if mixer), also put the showerhead on the floor of the shower.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Drain the waste tank also you don't want to have that freeze up either (y)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Another thing when you've sorted out the water is the batteries. There are two batteries, a starter battery for the vehicle electrics, and a leisure battery for the habitation electrics. They need to be kept charged, to avoid deterioration.

There's several ways to do this. Does it have solar panels on the roof? can the sun shine on them for some part of the day? If so that will probably be all you need.

If no solar panels, can you plug it into the mains? Either permanently or once a week for several hours? That will probably charge the batteries, provided you have the switches set correctly. Look for a display panel, which might show the voltages of the two batteries.

If the batteries are 13.0V or more, then they are being charged. If 12.0 to 12.9 V then that's normal. If below 12.0V, charging is required ASAP to avoid deterioration.

If you post a photo of the display panel, someone will recognise it and explain it.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As you can probably guess me and my family know absolutely nothing about motorhomes but figured i'd try my luck here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
To start from the basics- the big tank with the 'Truma' label is the water heater, powered by gas from a gas cylinder. On the left you can see the cold water inlet (blue pipe) and the hot water outlet (red pipe). There will be a control on the wall somewhere, probably labelled 'Truma'.

The big aluminium box is the room heater, again powered by gas. There's a fan on the back of it, and beige ducts to distribute the warm air around the motorhome.

That tap with a yellow lever is the automatic frost protection valve. If the temperature falls below about 4 or 5 degrees, it opens automatically to dump the contents of the water heater on the ground under the motorhome. Saves expensive damage if the water freezes.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
To start from the basics- the big tank with the 'Truma' label is the water heater, powered by gas from a gas cylinder. On the left you can see the cold water inlet (blue pipe) and the hot water outlet (red pipe). There will be a control on the wall somewhere, probably labelled 'Truma'.

The big aluminium box is the room heater, again powered by gas. There's a fan on the back of it, and beige ducts to distribute the warm air around the motorhome.

That tap with a yellow lever is the automatic frost protection valve. If the temperature falls below about 4 or 5 degrees, it opens automatically to dump the contents of the water heater on the ground under the motorhome. Saves expensive damage if the water freezes.
the tap with the yellow lever is the pressure relief valve which can be used to drain the heater i cant see a frost valve in thatpicture

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back