Do's and don'ts when using and A-Frame (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Will be getting an A-frame for UK use. Not interested the argument, trailer vs A-frame. Trailer doesn't work for me. Decision made.

But advice from A-frame users on A-frame usage and problems. Anything you should do or more important shouldn't do? Can you turn to sharp etc?

Many thanks all

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The car will follow a tighter line around a bend than a trailer will. Allow more space.
Press brake pedal a few times to discharge the servo.
Handbrake off and in neutral. Obvious but easy to forget.

Get a blank key cut so you don’t have the actual starting key in the ignition.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If you need the key in the ignition to free up the steering lock make sure it's in the correct position and not allowing a drain on the battery. I always put the steering on near full lock before moving off and watch the steering straighten up in the rear view camera when we move off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I would go for a light version- without a jockey wheel as it makes everything so much easier. Also an inertia braking system which is the expensive part of the kit. There is a debate about a rear sign that says either ‘car in tow’ or ‘on-tow’. Make sure your insurance company knows you are towing. The blank key is a good idea as you are not covered if somebody jumps in an steels the car. Enjoy, we now make do with electric bikes ourselves.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Our A frame is from TAF. No jockey wheel but still heavy enough. They provided us a pair of triangles on a strap to put on the rear window. That makes it a trailer. No need for tow car or other signs.
Ours was from Smart Tow, some years ago (9) now so not sure if still in business (and a bit of a strange crowd). However aluminium box section. Very light and folded up into a carry bag to fit into the boot of our VW Up.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
On our Aygo the “tv screen” for the radio, reversing camera, satnav etc. Comes on at the first detent on the ignition, even when using the “blank” (ie. no electrical i.d. Gubbins inside it) key. I haven’t found a way to switch it off yet......

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted a jockey wheel to my a frame , it allows moving of car without frame being elevated also helps hitching up either by driving up to tow ball or reversing motorhome onto a frame.
One other advantage is that in the unlikely event of a frame separating from tow ball it would not drop and potentially dig into road surface allowing braking system to stop car effectively.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fit a pair of sprung number plate holders on the back of the towcar and it makes changing the number plate a 5 second job

push number plate up against the springs, lift out at bottom then replace with the tow vehicle plate. Just don't forget to change it back before using the car on the road by itself

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Instead of a jockey wheel, I have a cord with a loop one end to go over the hitch and a hook the opposite end ... lift A-frame vertical and hook on to rear edge of bonnet.
Don't turn too tightly as it can put a lot of side stress on the car front wheels & tyres.

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On our Aygo the “tv screen” for the radio, reversing camera, satnav etc. Comes on at the first detent on the ignition, even when using the “blank” (ie. no electrical i.d. Gubbins inside it) key. I haven’t found a way to switch it off yet......
You press the off button ?
I have an Aygo and that works on mine ?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
fit a pair of sprung number plate holders on the back of the towcar and it makes changing the number plate
Add a pair of triangles to the sides and jobs a goodun
Black part is part of an old numberplate

20210425_235406-1.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
There're 2 main types of A frame. One with just overrun brakes just like a caravan or some with a full electronic braking system. The full electronic versions come very expensive in my view around £2k. An overrun brake system as supplied by Armitage is probably just about £500. Why pay £2k over the odds for a little car which you will never see back again. I bought a second hand Armitage overrun A frame for a Citroen C1 and converted the car myself so I am only out of pocket by less than £500 after buying number plates, electric cable, plugs and sockets etc. That I can afford to lose if and when I have to sell the car and can't find a motorhomer to buy it!

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Might not be possible now , but decision in our house (at show) went i dont like the price £1000 THATS better, ok pick it up and put it the boot. She decided on the smart tow system. I never think about what i can sell it for my intention is buy the right one and use it untill its dead.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
fit a pair of sprung number plate holders on the back of the towcar and it makes changing the number plate a 5 second job

push number plate up against the springs, lift out at bottom then replace with the tow vehicle plate. Just don't forget to change it back before using the car on the road by itself
Just make sure you remember to remove it when you get to your destination! Last week near York I asked Kathryn where the number plate was when we were fixing to head for home, it had been on the car for 8 days!! Oops!!

Cheers!

Russ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There're 2 main types of A frame. One with just overrun brakes just like a caravan or some with a full electronic braking system. The full electronic versions come very expensive in my view around £2k. An overrun brake system as supplied by Armitage is probably just about £500. Why pay £2k over the odds for a little car which you will never see back again. I bought a second hand Armitage overrun A frame for a Citroen C1 and converted the car myself so I am only out of pocket by less than £500 after buying number plates, electric cable, plugs and sockets etc. That I can afford to lose if and when I have to sell the car and can't find a motorhomer to buy it!
You would do well to remember the more expensive A framed cars command a much higher sale price and have a larger 2nd hand buyer market due to the lighter weight if nothing else, losses will easily match your suggested unsaleable Inertia system,
Might not be possible now , but decision in our house (at show) went i dont like the price £1000 THATS better, ok pick it up and put it the boot. She decided on the smart tow system. I never think about what i can sell it for my intention is buy the right one and use it untill its dead.
Good move why put up with an inferior product, get your use out of it and sell for a better price to a bigger market see reply above.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Check that the towcar you buy doesn't have things that still work without ignition. My suzuki alto brake lights worked without ignition on so everytime you stopped the lights stayed on on the car and drained the battery. I intended ti fit a battery isolator on the car for while towing but the battery terminals were so small on that car i couldn't get one to fit it.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted a jockey wheel to my a frame , it allows moving of car without frame being elevated also helps hitching up either by driving up to tow ball or reversing motorhome onto a frame.
One other advantage is that in the unlikely event of a frame separating from tow ball it would not drop and potentially dig into road surface allowing braking system to stop car effectively.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On our Peugeot 107 , we have key without transponder and you put key in and turn on fully and then back off and as long as you don’t take key out, everything is off and steering lock is off.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
You would do well to remember the more expensive A framed cars command a much higher sale price and have a larger 2nd hand buyer market due to the lighter weight if nothing else, losses will easily match your suggested unsaleable Inertia system,

Good move why put up with an inferior product, get your use out of it and sell for a better price to a bigger market see reply above.
Having towed caravans and boats using the overrun system since my youth I’m happy with what I’ve got and no doubt there will still be people around with the same view when I’ve finished with it!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I make a list of to do,s when coupling up. Otherwise I usually forget to do something.
Phil
I have a sequence and double check every connection etc when complete. I refuse help of any kind from others when setting up as the only time I got help I missed the setting up sequence on the RVi Brake unit and ended with extremely hot discs after a couple of miles, could have been nasty.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
That is why trailers have to have skid plates to prevent that happening.
Seems to me if that were to happen you would be well buggered anyhow!
Also with a jockey as well as the additional weight and storage room it has been known for the jockey wheel to come loose and drag along the road - well it was when my father used to tow a caravan no doubt more engineering used now. The A frame we had folded up into a bag no bigger than 600 x 300mm, was aluminium square tube and therefore very light.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Our A frame is from TAF. No jockey wheel but still heavy enough. They provided us a pair of triangles on a strap to put on the rear window. That makes it a trailer. No need for tow car or other signs.
We replaced our hernia inducing Car-A-Tow with a much lighter TAF one, it is a nicely engineered bit of kit. It is not the longest A frame so take care on tight manoeuvres like U turns, the car can end up very close to the back of the motorhome.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having towed caravans and boats using the overrun system since my youth I’m happy with what I’ve got and no doubt there will still be people around with the same view when I’ve finished with it!
I would agree with your comments if you were using Caravan/ trailor inertia hitches but you not are you, the all important legally required ability to revers is not fitted is it?
If it were i would be with you 100%.
Having owned, fitted and built all manner of A frames i do know which is the better system.
Despite you missing the entire reason for my comments to you post that being, the fully electric versions will loose more money than the overun type.
I still believe your prophesy to be wrong and if any action from the powers to be should happen it will be firmly aimed at the DIY and overrun systems
heralding their earlier demise.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I would agree with your comments if you were using Caravan/ trailor inertia hitches but you not are you, the all important legally required ability to revers is not fitted is it?
If it were i would be with you 100%.
Having owned, fitted and built all manner of A frames i do know which is the better system.
Despite you missing the entire reason for my comments to you post that being, the fully electric versions will loose more money than the overun type.
I still believe your prophesy to be wrong and if any action from the powers to be should happen it will be firmly aimed at the DIY and overrun systems
heralding their earlier demise.
You obviously know far more about it than me but you are reading more into my post than was intended. I was loath to part with a £2k premium to try out towing a car. Maybe I’ll become a convert to the all singing all dancing versions in due course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back