Don't set the sat nav while you're tired. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I recently typed in the coordinates into my sat nav for the following days destination just before I went to bed. In the morning off I went trundling along 200 miles when I was diverted down a dirt track in the middle of nowhere and my satnav proudly announced " you have arrived". No I haven't.
I checked the coordinates and I had put 1 digit in incorrectly......D'oh!
I had driven 20 miles beyond where I wanted to be......ouch.
Similar stories anyone?

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
I think there was a report in one of the national newspapers some years ago about someone typing the coordinates in for a trip from somewhere Manchester way and they were offered a great route to Cornwall
Manchester - Holyhead -Dublin-Cork - Roscoff - St Malo - Plymouth- Destination. Estimated time of journey-3 days 🤪🤪🤪

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You can’t beat town and street name for me, you might have to find your location on the street but for me much less hassle than coordinates

As we say, it’s different not wrong 👍🙂

Never did get why so many people constantly request coordinates on here

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
You can’t beat town and street name for me, you might have to find your location on the street but for me much less hassle than coordinates

As we say, it’s different not wrong 👍🙂

Never did get why so many people constantly request coordinates on here
I find co-ordinates much better than post codes when out in the sticks.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I wonder if what 3 words can be pinged over to a Garmin Camper Sat Nav, don't know yet as I haven't tried, but it would be great if it could.
LES

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Postcodes are useless in France for example as one code seems to cover a vast area. Useful only in UK and Netherlands.
Coordinates are brilliant if you get it right, what3words even better if your sat navigation will accept them, mine won't.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think there was a report in one of the national newspapers some years ago about someone typing the coordinates in for a trip from somewhere Manchester way and they were offered a great route to Cornwall
Manchester - Holyhead -Dublin-Cork - Roscoff - St Malo - Plymouth- Destination. Estimated time of journey-3 days 🤪🤪🤪

They probably had it set to shortest route - only had to drive Man-Holyhead, Dublin-Cork and over the Tamar bridge from Plymouth :LOL:

They forgot 'No Ferries'

[Edit - I left out Roscoff- St Malo]

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Did a course once in Sussex, one person was late and arrived mid afternoon.

It was a contracted course in a hotel. They had gone to the course providers HQ in York instead. :-(

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Happened once to us in France.
Manic typed in Village name, for an Aire, and we ended up in a village of that name but not the one we wanted!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
My village is next to Portsmouth on the Lancashire West Yorks boundary needless to say there have been many foreign lorry drivers struggling to find the port. One guy a Polish lad broke down and crying when we told him he was 200miles away.

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I hear that there's many a driver travel to the wrong Newport at one time or another.

Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
I discovered there is another Southend on the end of the Mull of Kintyre when I was presented with a very strange route out of Essex.

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our first moho in 2012. On our very first trip I set our aire using GPS Co-ordinates. We were going to the Futurescope aire. We ended up 50 odd miles away in the back end of nowhere! Penny kept on saying this was wrong - but I insisted “Jane” the Sat Nav voice must be right. Turned out I used the wrong former! Family have never forgotten.
Ironicallly just got the latest Tom Tom and it is f*********g brilliant!

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
it can take that long to get there via the M6 and M5.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My village is next to Portsmouth on the Lancashire West Yorks boundary needless to say there have been many foreign lorry drivers struggling to find the port. One guy a Polish lad broke down and crying when we told him he was 200miles away.
Just to add to the confusion, I see that there is a "Roebuck" pub. There is also one a little way out of Portsmouth near the CAMC site used by channel crossers as well.

As for 'what 3 words', I don't think any commercial satnavs accept them. Can't go wrong with Lat/Long so long as you don't transpose numbers etc.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I don’t know if it’s an apocryphal story or true but it was reported that someone jumped in a cab In London and asked the driver to take them to Stamford Bridge. A few hours later they arrived at Stamford Bridge in East Yorkshire instead of watching a football game in the capital.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back