Rally Chat Dogs in "season" (1 Viewer)

Sep 13, 2020
Somewhere surrounded by sea
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Looking to book rallies in advance but how do you overcome the problem of your dog "coming into season" please?

Our 9 month old pup is having her first season and would like to consider doing the Retro Festival in August but that could/should be the time of her next "season"

So how do you Funsters overcome these problems and book your future ventures please?

Getting rid of the dog or leaving her behind is NOT an option!! ;)

Ta for all advice/replies

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i personally wouldn't worry too much as long as you keep her with you, at these sort of events dogs have to be kept on a lead anyway so she shouldn't get into any trouble..
plus of course their seasons aren't every six months to the day, they all vary so you might be worrying unnecessarily..

just book your retrofestival and enjoy it, its a great break away..

Dec 7, 2009
Shropshire & Algarve
Funster No
MH
LP
Exp
2 yrs
We’ve always managed having female with us wherever we went, care needed and I even tried “panty pads” . Only one incident in Spain when we stopped for fuel. Dog in season didn’t get out but two scruffy Lotharios who were lurking round bins must have got her scent and followed us up the road for nearly a mile! It’s not the bitch whose the problem it’s the male dogs who are opportunists.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I've seen off lead dogs at many events/on many sites where the instructions are that dogs must be on leads (including at the Newbury Retrofest last year) so however much you try to keep your bitch away from them, you may find yourself in a difficult situation. Also, if that does happen, you could find your bitch in very deep water quicker than you can say 'knife'. That is from the experience of my ex housemate whose bitch was caught by another dog in seconds and once they were joined it was too late. Her dog had five unplanned puppies as a result.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 30, 2021
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Escape 664
Exp
Since 2015
Remember vets are a business and will promote various procedures to help your dog.
I would not recommend spaying it does change their coat and bodymass better to keep as nature intended however when seasons occur be vigilant most seasons last three weeks the last week is when the bitch can fall

OP
OP
Wightman
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
Remember vets are a business and will promote various procedures to help your dog.
I would not recommend spaying it does change their coat and body mass better to keep as nature intended however when seasons occur be vigilant most seasons last three weeks the last week is when the bitch can fall
Thanks Ponner

Yes know what you mean about vets - our fox red labrador was advised to be spayed every time she went to the vets, but it never happened and I doubt we will with this as we intend to breed from her 🤗

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Re Retro: Don't worry about it, just keep her on a lead and with you all the time. I doubt you'll see any other dogs off the lead at Retro I regularly take a bitch in season on the beach where there are lots of other dogs, they play as normal, some extra sniffing might ocurr, but as long as you are there nothing will happen. A walking stick might come in handy, but I doubt it.

Vet's will give you 101 reasons to spay a bitch some are valid but IMO most of them relate to the payments on the sportscar.

Try and find a breed group for your dog, a forum or facebook group, some breeds might be more prone to cancers like mammary cancers and spaying might be beneficial. If you decide to go for spaying book an appointment for a time bang in the middle of two seasons. See you at Retro.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
images
get one off these

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We managed Jess's seasons - she occasionally wore some tricky knickers - kids pants with a hole cut out for her tail (Paw Patrol pants😉). Our boy was always very interested even though he has had the snip. The pants acted as a 'barrier' and gave Jess some peace when they were together.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would not recommend spaying it does change their coat and bodymass better to keep as nature intended however when seasons occur be vigilant most seasons last three weeks the last week is when the bitch can fall
We always have our dogs spayed, one had a terrible first season and was very distressed so it was a no-brainer to have her done asap.

As for changing their physique, unless you have a show dog, in which case you wouldn't spay anyway, why would it matter? Our spayed dogs have lived to ripe old ages without the risk of cancers etc that can be suffered by non-spayed bitches.

My hubby's step-dad's wife's son (think about it!) had a bitch who he refused to have spayed, eventually he had to have her put down due to pyometra way too young and the poor thing really suffered.

OP
OP
Wightman
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
We managed Jess's seasons - she occasionally wore some tricky knickers - kids pants with a hole cut out for her tail (Paw Patrol pants😉). Our boy was always very interested even though he has had the snip. The pants acted as a 'barrier' and gave Jess some peace when they were together.
We had three labs (mum and two pups) and when we put pants on one of the pups it made her poo!!

OP
OP
Wightman
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
We always have our dogs spayed, one had a terrible first season and was very distressed so it was a no-brainer to have her done asap.

As for changing their physique, unless you have a show dog, in which case you wouldn't spay anyway, why would it matter? Our spayed dogs have lived to ripe old ages without the risk of cancers etc that can be suffered by non-spayed bitches.

My hubby's step-dad's wife's son (think about it!) had a bitch who he refused to have spayed, eventually he had to have her put down due to pyometra way too young and the poor thing really suffered.
This is the dilemma we are faced, we had some very bad luck when we purchased a half sister to the one we have who passed away at 8 months - vet said poisoned!!? - so trawling the net/Drakeshead Labrador sites this half-sister from another breeder became available so it was a no-brainer after the tragedy. We've purchase her as pet/gun dog but also to breed and hopefully get some fox red from the litter. After that we may consider spaying option.

Thanks for your reply/advice

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Our dog Rosie started her first season at the Bridlington Rally last year. To be honest we found it easier being away, than at home, as Rosie always on lead and not in favourite fields at home where she knows other dogs and would expect to be let off lead to play. It was also easier to manage keeping clean, inside van, pants go on, outside taken off. In our house she can roam everywhere and come and go but the confines of the van meant we could always catch her at the door. We didn’t have any unwanted doggy attention but maybe we were lucky. Going on 8 months later we are still waiting for the second season!
C3EA5B5A-316F-43D3-85FF-F8A9D6A1D3BE.jpeg

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Having had more ( probably) dogs than most - half of which were bitches, I would take no notice of the doom masters saying you must spay bitches. I only had 2 spayed. One on the advice of the vets at 7 months before she came in season. Never again. She was incontinent for the remainder of her life. The other after suffering a pyometra. Provided you watch your bitch carefully and get them to a Vet when showing symptoms the bitch doesn't have to be lost. Mine got infections after a season so it wasn't unexpected. That was at 3yrs and she lived to 14yrs. A great age for a Rottweiler.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have just had my dog neutered for two reasons. He was humping everything in sight and I did not want him to be stolen to be put to stud. I was told once while out with him "Take care that dog is very nickable!" he is a Patterdale Terrier. As for certain comments that Vets do it just for the money, excuse the pun but that is a load of bollocks.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
To give some idea of the comparative medical risks to bitches spayed to unspayed
20-25 percent of unspayed bitches will get a pyometra by the age of 10 (0 percent for spayed)
25 percent of unspayed bitches will get mammary tumours by the age of 10 (around 8% for spayed, less than 1% if spayed before first season)
Spayed bitches are twice as likely to develop urinary incontinence in later life (9% vs 4% approx)
And yes, I'd have been far better off if we'd never spayed a bitch and we'd had all the extra work from the mammary tumours and pyometras - perhaps by a factor of 10. ;)
(and that's without considering all the false pregnancies we'd have had to treat) (and all the "morning after" injections we'd have to give when bitches in season got caught)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy G600G
Exp
Since 2015
We went to Cornwall from Cumbria a few weeks ago for a family funeral. We hadn't left our 18 month old Golden Retriever bitch (working type) before and had no intention of leaving her with anyone so the plan was to go in the motorhome. She came into season just over a week before we were due to go. We took a number of washable bathroom type rugs to put on the motorhome floor (carpet removed). Any spots on the floor were wiped up with disinfecting wipes and we made sure she could not get on to any of the seats. All walks outside were on the lead in places where we might meet other dog walkers. We took our time travelling so were away for a week. It was a bit more hassle than normal but on return home we both agreed that it had gone quite well. We would not choose to go away with a bitch in season but if it happened again when it would be difficult to change our plans we would cope.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have just had my dog neutered for two reasons. He was humping everything in sight and I did not want him to be stolen to be put to stud. I was told once while out with him "Take care that dog is very nickable!" he is a Patterdale Terrier. As for certain comments that Vets do it just for the money, excuse the pun but that is a load of bollocks.
Unfortunately our Minky, female JR/Chi cross, humps and humps, she did it both before and since being spayed ... she's a bit confused but her favourite hump toy, an elephant glove puppet, doesn't seem to be too bothered as it always has a smile on its face! :giggle:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Unfortunately our Minky, female JR/Chi cross, humps and humps, she did it both before and since being spayed ... she's a bit confused but her favourite hump toy, an elephant glove puppet, doesn't seem to be too bothered as it always has a smile on its face! :giggle:
yes but my boy went the whole way and I was sick of cleaning up after him if you catch my drift :ROFLMAO: so far two weeks after his op his has stopped shagging everything, well the cushions are hidden in a cupboard for now. But he has definitely calmed down. The Vet said he might still get the urge and have a change of personality but so far so good he is still a funny puppy and very affectionate but not in that way!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
To give some idea of the comparative medical risks to bitches spayed to unspayed
20-25 percent of unspayed bitches will get a pyometra by the age of 10 (0 percent for spayed)
25 percent of unspayed bitches will get mammary tumours by the age of 10 (around 8% for spayed, less than 1% if spayed before first season)
Spayed bitches are twice as likely to develop urinary incontinence in later life (9% vs 4% approx)
And yes, I'd have been far better off if we'd never spayed a bitch and we'd had all the extra work from the mammary tumours and pyometras - perhaps by a factor of 10. ;)
(and that's without considering all the false pregnancies we'd have had to treat) (and all the "morning after" injections we'd have to give when bitches in season got caught)
How dare you spoil a good thread by introducing facts :LOL:
Incidentally we have had many bitches (including present one) spayed before first season with no adverse effects and they have lived long lives.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back