Free Member
Mar 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey autograph
Exp
I'm a newbie
Whats the best way to secure our dog when traveling in France? He's a small Cavalier King Charles. I know he can't travel on my knee, can I just secure him via his harness in his bed? Or does he need to be in a pet carrier. How strict are they?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours travel in harnesses secured to seatbelts. You don't have to use a carrier, they just have to be secured i.e. not loose to move around the vehicle. How you achieve that is up to you.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
We use the fabric type carrier available from pets at home.
The good thing about those is they fold flat so very easily stored.
It's excellent and our little dog likes it as it has mesh on all sides so she doesn't "feel" enclosed in it.

image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I use the table leg on an Autosleeper Symbol, works a treat. Sold it now so going to have to think of something else:

Blue%20in%20van_zpsait2zpgl.jpg

Brian

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
So is it compulsory for them to be secure?
Not sure of the legalities.
But from a safety point of view.... both for you and the dog.... it makes sense to have the dog restrained.
Something tells me it is compulsory in France to keep an animal "restrained" in transit.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Don't know about compulsory for pets to be secure but would you want a potential missile flying into the cab in an accident or even sharp braking? Our cavvy sits in her bed behind the cab in a harness secured by a thick lead to a table leg.

Edit: A harness rather than a collar which could strangle her.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Thanks I was just wondering if any fines would be issued in places like France ;)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
even a small dog weighs as much as a brick and will kill you flying through the air if unrestrained, let alone him/herself. your vehicle would then be out of control putting other road users at risk. It is just not worth it a harness chained down will allow a certain freedom of movement without being dangerous to man nor pet.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
[QUOTin motor ="Mr Ed, post: 1363050, member: 14705"]Where?[/QUOTE]
Dogs in motorhomes 2012

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I used to travel with a Collie and a Terrier and each had their own indoor kennel suitable for their size. Each kennel was securely fixed with straps to prevent any movement. I found this arrangement useful when the door was open for any reason as well, the dogs were completely secure and yet had full freedom of movement to curl up, etc.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My dog has a harness which is attached to an extended seat belt that clips in the buckle in the normal way. About 4 ft long.
Gives security to stop him dashing out when we open hab. door as well.

Dave F

Free Member
Mar 14, 2015
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca 2001
Exp
You don't legally have to restrain your dog in the UK, but it is advised, and if you don't and a claim is brought against you for damages caused by your dog who wasn't restrained you will be liable.

Rule 57 in the Highway Code covers this: https://www.gov.uk/rules-about-animals-47-to-58/other-animals-56-to-58

As it doesn't include the words "MUST" its not the Law just guidance. - "although failure to comply with the other rules of The Highway Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ā€˜should/should notā€™ or ā€˜do/do notā€™."

Weights of vehicles and of dogs also need to be considered - A King Charles Spaniel in a double decker bus is not much of a risk - The vehicle is only going to stop quickly if it hits something considerably heavier than itself, and a small weight won't have much momentum so wont cause much damage anyway. But a Rottweiler in a small camper van - Different matter entirely...

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The wording of the French law is something like " you're dog must not be able to become a missile" I've never heard of anyone, British or French, being challenged in France about a dog/dogs in a vehicle.

The soft sided collapsible crates are brilliant, I used them for my cats when in the motorhome. Cheaper on Ebay.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our two dogs travel between the front seats, it's unlikely they will become "missiles as they are just behind the bulkhead / dash.
We did think of restraining them, but you need a harness and something substantial to secure it to. We don't have anything we could use. A dog secured by a lead connected to its collar will likely be "hung" in the event of a collision or at best suffer serious trauma to it neck.

A harness is safer, but may not stop the dog becoming injured, it's main purpose is to stop the dog flying about and becoming the aforementioned missile.

We just drive safely and keep our fingers crossed. It's worked for me for over 40 years!

Allan

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
One of the key reasons we got a motorhome with sufficient seatbelt points.
Dog travels in his harness and "plugged into" one of these.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Meg has a harness connected to a rear seat belt socket, which allows her freedom to travel either on the L shaped settee behind the passenger seat where she has a good view, or in her bed on the floor adjacent. We cover the settee with non slip mats and a cover made from an old sheet so she doesn't slide on the leather. She seems very happy with this arrangement and will quite happily travel all day, with toilet breaks of course, my need is greater than hers.

Patty

Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper executive
Exp
Since 2009
My two always travel in a cage for their safety and ours. In Germany they have to be restrained as on the spot fines can be given.
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back