Dog travel harness (1 Viewer)

Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
Hello everyone, apologies if this has been asked before (Newbie here). We can pick up our van (first ever!) next weekend and I am researching the safest harnesses for our dogs. I have my eye on The Ezy dog brand as it has been crash tested. Does anyone have any experience of them, and will they work in a MH with the dogs on the floor when travelling? The van has six seatbelts. Any advice appreciated, thank you

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't use harnesses at all, our elderly dog usually lays either in her bed under the table or between the cab seats and our 2 smaller ones often share a dog bed pushed up against the cab centre console/drop down locker or snuggle next to the elderly one. Funnily enough I've been sorting through some of my holiday photos today and found this one which shows the little darlings nicely snoozing whilst we travelled!

snuggle dogs in camper.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
Thanks for replying Minxy - gorgeous photo! Our two have yet to set paw into any van, I'm just wanting to keep them secure, just in case. Plus, at almost £100 per harness, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a less expensive option!

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for replying Minxy - gorgeous photo! Our two have yet to set paw into any van, I'm just wanting to keep them secure, just in case. Plus, at almost £100 per harness, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a less expensive option!
£100 per harness.....rip off!
The Duchess bought one for our pooch thing,but she is currently using the hair dryer so not in communication with HQ. That is,the Duchess is using the hair dryer,not the dog. And she’s using it on herself,not the dog.
Ah,the Duchess has now returned,looking,may I say, particularly beautiful and well groomed.....I’ll ask her the question........

Are you still with me?:giggle:
Apparently,the dog has a normal walking harness,plus we have a double- ended leash,one end to the harness and the other end to a metal bar under the seat box. Her bed is between the two front seats,so she is secure and legal. :giggle::giggle:

Don’t know what it cost,but a lot less than a hundred smackers.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We got our dog's harness from Dogs Trust (when we rescued him).
From memory it was around £10-12. Still going strong after 10 years.
Seat belt attachment was extra but only around £5-6.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
Thank you Gellyneck and Podney, you have saved me money xx

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
£100 per harness.....rip off!
The Duchess bought one for our pooch thing,but she is currently using the hair dryer so not in communication with HQ. That is,the Duchess is using the hair dryer,not the dog. And she’s using it on herself,not the dog.
Ah,the Duchess has now returned,looking,may I say, particularly beautiful and well groomed.....I’ll ask her the question........

Are you still with me?:giggle:
Apparently,the dog has a normal walking harness,plus we have a double- ended leash,one end to the harness and the other end to a metal bar under the seat box. Her bed is between the two front seats,so she is secure and legal. :giggle::giggle:

Don’t know what it cost,but a lot less than a hundred smackers.
Are you SURE it wasn't the dog that was having it's hair done?

dogs & curlers.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Are you SURE it wasn't the dog that was having it's hair done?

View attachment 402040
Well,it could have been...it’s a poncey poodle. Now 15 years old and not too sprightly,her fur/hair/wool whatever it is,doesn’t grow much now...................................
.................come to think of it,a bit like mine!:LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We use a standard walking harness with a lead around the table leg and she in her bed just behind us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
From all of your replies, I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about their travel. Thank you everyone xx

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a look at Clix harnesses. You can find them on Amazon for around £15. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
That's so good, Terry may one day join us and the dogs on an adventure, although living in a confined space with a litter tray might not be much fun...

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have tried and used a huge number of harnesses over the years, from chain store bought to custom made. We now use Julius K9 harnesses, the same as search and rescue dogs use. They come in several sizes from about £20. These are the only ones that our dogs have not eventually broken

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
Thank you, I'm checking all options. They have Y shaped walking harnesses already so i might just go with a seat belt extension clip

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We use these harnesses with connector for travelling as they have a good padded panel for the chest, however they don't like walking in them
Amazon product ASIN B075WNTS4W
We use these for walking as they're easy to put on, no messing around with putting front legs into them, padded and easy to get off again
Amazon product ASIN B003XWXU6I
We have a dog bed for each, one on the dinette for Harry (Schnoodle) and one on the floor in front of the dinette seat for Poppy (Border Terrier), with harnesses fixed via connectors to seat belt. They used to travel in the same large bed on the dinette seat but the one in the corner got squashed as the other shuffled over, didn't matter which was in the corner and it happened every time.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you do use a harness please ensure it is one meant for travel and NOT just a walking harness - travel harnesses have a padded front chest vertical section and wider straps, rather than just narrow straps, so if there is a sudden 'stop' the dog's chest doesn't get badly bruised or worse.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
I think the harness is quite important, but more important is where you clip it to. Put simply, if you brake hard can the poor dog can go flying off ? Think in 3D, how could that restraining belt go, forwards, sideways, up?

Seat belt clips don't always work, depending on the location of the seat vs clip etc

Use a half decent regular harness, Julius K9, Ancol Extreme or Cosy Dog for others, depends on dog shape/size too). Then ensure the mutt can move about enough to get comfy, but if the brakes go on, he/she is restrained.

Often that needs a higher anchor point than the seat belt clip. I have it sorted in the car, seat belt clip and lead clipped round headrest to the harness. Together they mean even in the worst braking he can't go too far, but can still sit up and look about, or flop, snore and fart.

In the van I'm struggling a bit, we have a side bench/bed with lap belts, so no headrest. So far I use a seat belt clip to the harness, and pull the bed so he can't fall off! Only issue is he doesn't like being that far back, he likes to be able to see out the front windscreen!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... he can't go too far, but can still sit up and look about, or flop, snore and fart.
sounds like my hubby! :ROFLMAO:

Only issue is he doesn't like being that far back, he likes to be able to see out the front windscreen!
Let him drive ... simples! :giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
I'm fancying the purple harness/seatbelt clip option!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
Teri - I'm not sure what size your dog is...ours are retrievers and will sleep/travel at floor level. I'm hoping that I can clip the device into the seatbelt fittings and keep them safe and comfortable

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impsfan
Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
Minxy Girl - thank you. I won't use their normal walking harnesses now you've explained the difference x

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back