Dog travel harness (1 Viewer)

Jun 4, 2020
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Roller team 707
Exp
First timer
Hello everyone, apologies if this has been asked before (Newbie here). We can pick up our van (first ever!) next weekend and I am researching the safest harnesses for our dogs. I have my eye on The Ezy dog brand as it has been crash tested. Does anyone have any experience of them, and will they work in a MH with the dogs on the floor when travelling? The van has six seatbelts. Any advice appreciated, thank you

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
We will be collecting our first MH soon, and we have 2 small dogs which I’m hoping to tether safely using the right equipment for the job.

Does anyone have any tips for securing 2 dogs, both inside whilst travelling, and around the van outside once pitched? My thinking is that if they’re both tethered to the van each with their own harness & line, within a few minutes they’ll be all tangled up and won’t be able to move 😆

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My ‘terrorist’ usually only wears a harness when being restrained in my car and I always have a ‘cosy dogs’ one - nice and soft and made locally. I use a head rest restraint attachment (similar to seatbelt idea) which has a stretchy length, which I think is a more comfortable option. When in the MH I have to admit he isn’t restrained often as he likes to languish on his sheepskin on the fixed bed at the back of my van - spoilt or what!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use the Julius K9 harnesses, they are substantial, not like some of the walking harnesses that are just like straps. They come in many sizes and seem to last for ever.

Upvote 0

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Just a heads up to those travelling with dogs, it’s an offence not to have your dog restrained whilst the vehicle is moving!

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states: “When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly.”

Further info available via RAC website(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Answer from the police.

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states:

"When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars."
This is not a legal requirement that is set out in legislation, and so failure to comply with this rule will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted. However, please note that failure to comply with such sections of the Highway Code may still be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts to establish liability.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
My ‘terrorist’ usually only wears a harness when being restrained in my car and I always have a ‘cosy dogs’ one - nice and soft and made locally. I use a head rest restraint attachment (similar to seatbelt idea) which has a stretchy length, which I think is a more comfortable option. When in the MH I have to admit he isn’t restrained often as he likes to languish on his sheepskin on the fixed bed at the back of my van - spoilt or what!!!

😂
That sounds like our dogs too, they’d just chill wherever they like but I just wouldn’t want them being injured if we had to stop suddenly. The roads are so unpredictable...

Upvote 0

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Answer from the police.

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states:

This is not a legal requirement that is set out in legislation, and so failure to comply with this rule will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted. However, please note that failure to comply with such sections of the Highway Code may still be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts to establish liability.
Thank you for posting and always better to get informative information straight from the horse’s mouth(y)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as explained to me by a very experienced traffic officer. If you have a loose dog distracting the driver, it can easily be used to prove a charge of driving without due care and attention, or after a serious accident dangerous driving

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
We got our dog's harness from Dogs Trust (when we rescued him).
From memory it was around £10-12. Still going strong after 10 years.
Seat belt attachment was extra but only around £5-6.
Ditto...
Sadly harness outlived Claude..
Might make another visit to dogs trust ..when ready..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back