Dog safety (1 Viewer)

LynneC

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
About to buy a used
Good morning,
Well we finally got our little second-hand motorhome and are excitedly heading off this weekend. We are trying to decide the best way for our 6yr old border collie Skip to travel. There are only two seatbelts in the vehicle. Skip does have a cage that he used as a pup. He has a harness and has a doggie seat belt, though I guess this is redundant without a third seat belt in the vehicle. What do you all do with your four legged friends in a two berth similar to ours?

Many thanks Lynne x

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We're in the fortunate position of having a seatbelt point for our Welshie.
Some Funsters do use a cage though.

pssssssssst you'll need to be changing MH: under your avatar!;):giggle:(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We only have a pup so we found that we could wedge her fabric travel crate behind the raised driver’s seat and the first cupboard. We removed the ducato seat base trim which is un-necessarily bulgy. If your dog doesn’t need a crate and normally travels calmly then maybe you could attach a D-ring securely somewhere for a harness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We connect our dog’s harness to the fixed table leg.

OP
OP
L

LynneC

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
About to buy a used
We're in the fortunate position of having a seatbelt point for our Welshie.
Some Funsters do use a cage though.

pssssssssst you'll need to be changing MH: under your avatar!;):giggle:(y)
now then you will have to bear with me on the 'avator' business? not really sure I completely understand or know what to do about this at present 🤣👀🤷‍♂️

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
now then you will have to bear with me on the 'avator' business? not really sure I completely understand or know what to do about this at present 🤣👀🤷‍♂️
click your name under the avatar, click Your Account and scroll down to Experience and enter whatever you like:Smile:.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There was a recent thread about dog travel and the supposed safety of harnesses etc, might be worth looking for it as it gives a lot of info.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
rightio I shall give it ago...
Naw, naw, naw! Get your priorities in the right order, wine loaded into van, off on hols and on return recover from hangover, then fix it!;):giggle:

OP
OP
L

LynneC

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
About to buy a used
There was a recent thread about dog travel and the supposed safety of harnesses etc, might be worth looking for it as it gives a lot of info.
Thanks so much for this. Will have a good read I am sure it will be very helpful v

OP
OP
L

LynneC

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
About to buy a used
Naw, naw, naw! Get your priorities in the right order, wine loaded into van, off on hols and on return recover from hangover, then fix it!;):giggle:
Lol. I am actually working this morning and have got myself so excited with chatting with you guys.
Must get back to work
Must get back to work
Must get back to...oh I will just check that new message......erk lol x

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You could always let him travel in style.

1621414133669.png

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted a secure mounting eye near hab door, when travelling we connect lead from this to harness, when parked up with door open use it with either one or two leads, works well.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Much depends on how he is already used to travelling. Our Westie was cage-trained from birth and kicks up a fuss if he isn't locked into his cage, in the van or car. As long as he gets regular breaks (which happily coincide with my needs too!) he is perfectly happy. The cage fits neatly in the aisle behind the front seats so he always can see and hear us.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In our previous van, there were only the two front seats. We had our cat on the floor in a cage for a few trips. He hated it. I assume it's probably pretty noisy and he can't see what's going on. He complained less when we put the cage on our bed at the back. But it wasn't easy to see what he was up to. When I was taking him to the vets (in the van, no car), I tended to do it without my wife, so the cat gets to have his cage on the passenger seat. He was perfectly happy there.

The new motorhome has a front lounge with seats. I've not decided yet whether to put the cage on the seats (anchored with a seatbelt), try the cage on the floor again, or maybe use a body harness clipped into a seatbelt with enough slack to let him jump between the floor and the seats... as long as he doesn't get himself in trouble!

OP
OP
L

LynneC

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
About to buy a used
Good morning,
Well we finally got our little second-hand motorhome and are excitedly heading off this weekend. We are trying to decide the best way for our 6yr old border collie Skip to travel. There are only two seatbelts in the vehicle. Skip does have a cage that he used as a pup. He has a harness and has a doggie seat belt, though I guess this is redundant without a third seat belt in the vehicle. What do you all do with your four legged friends in a two berth similar to ours?

Many thanks Lynne x
IMG-20210523-WA0003.jpeg

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
After a lot of hunting and advice from our dog trainers, found the Kurgo harness is probably the best. Key feature is it has metal fasteners, not plastic most others have which could break when strained in an accident.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back