Does anyone have a word burning stove in a Campervan (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer s650
ive been looking at portable mod burning stoves for Campervan, has anyone got one and if so is the flue safe travelling, I can see this may be a better method than emptying my energy via power banks, for winter.
Carina

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Hi we have spoken to several people that fancy a log burner it’s not something we would want ourselves
The comments I have heard problem storing wood that’s seasoned as forest wood has a lot of sap in it and over time is a fire hazard
It’s dusty and fummy
Is a fire hazard if it set fire to your camper you are very unlikely to be insured and if you then set light to another van
With all the problems with them most don’t have one but those that do are in older vans and self builds living the dream

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
I have a log burner in the truck. It’s small, 4kw, but more than enough for a small space. The only downside of a small log burner is that’s it’s tricky to keep it going all night unless you use very well seasoned oak and know what you are doing. I grew up in old houses with open fires so probably a bit biased but wouldn’t be without it.

It draws well so I rarely have smoke in the truck and it was declared to my insurer who didn’t raise any objections.

IMG_1080.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The thought of a wood burning heater is lovely, but, there is no way I would have one in a van.
A smallish space with a log burner I think would be too hot and once burning you can’t exactly turn it down or off!
Storing and carting a load of wood about and the weight of the stove-payload.
The attendant mess, dust, smoke, ash.
As already said, anti-social.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
My main worry would be carbon monoxide poisoning. My cousin’s husband died of this (gas fire, fishing boat) leaving her with 2 young kids.
This article explains how to reduce the risk

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
They were very trendy in the #vanlife scene a few years ago. They've all but disappeared at the campervan festival I went to this year.

They do warm the van, but they're hard work and difficult to keep safe. They don't heat water. They aren't very practical for cooking on. And you need quite a big bunker of wood to compete with a single gas cylinder. I'd take a cheap Chinese diesel heater.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Also consider that once a fire is lit, you probably don't want to move the van. And if you're wild camping and trying to be low profile, having a smoking van is going to attract more attention.

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
My son and his partner did a van conversion (Iveco Daily) a few years back and a wood burner was part of the spec.
Its very small, sits on a couple of large paving slabs and vents up through the roof, all you can see from the outside is about 300mm of black flue
Apparently it’s very efficient, heating the interior in all weathers, the drawback is that fuel needs to be chopped very small
It suits them and their lifestyle, they wouldn’t be without it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CarinaHymer
Jul 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer s650
I have a log burner in the truck. It’s small, 4kw, but more than enough for a small space. The only downside of a small log burner is that’s it’s tricky to keep it going all night unless you use very well seasoned oak and know what you are doing. I grew up in old houses with open fires so probably a bit biased but wouldn’t be without it.

It draws well so I rarely have smoke in the truck and it was declared to my insurer who didn’t raise any objections.

View attachment 824292
Im inspired, Thank you Carina

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Word burners? do they run on dictionaries?

Another positive to a wood burner is you can burn any solid toilet waste. Poo in a bag and pop it in the stove when it is good and hot. Wood burners in enclosed spaces are dangerous and require a huge amount of effort to keep running safely

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I found with wood burners you get as much heat from sourcing and preparing the fuel as you do from burning it :)
Agreed
I spent around 4 hours yesterday felling a couple of dead trees and logging them.
Back ache and soaking wet with sweat.
Today, backache and cramps.
Next time I'll take a chair and portable TV into the woods and set fire to the tree in situ !

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Sold
ive been looking at portable mod burning stoves for Campervan, has anyone got one and if so is the flue safe travelling, I can see this may be a better method than emptying my energy via power banks, for winter.
Carina
Forget heating from a Power Bank.... totally impractical ..

Propane or diesel is best for heating when off grid

Consider that 1kg of propane can give around 13.6 kWh of energy,

therefore a 6kg bottle has 81.8 kWh !

Lithium-Ion Battery 12V – 100Ah – 1.28kWh

almost 64 battery charges = ONE 6kg bottle of Propane.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CarinaHymer
Jul 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer s650
Forget heating from a Power Bank.... totally impractical ..

Propane or diesel is best for heating when off grid

Consider that 1kg of propane can give around 13.6 kWh of energy,

therefore a 6kg bottle has 81.8 kWh !

Lithium-Ion Battery 12V – 100Ah – 1.28kWh

almost 64 battery charges = ONE 6kg bottle of Propane.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2020
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
From watching (too many!! 😂) YouTube van-lifers, the only ones who seemed practically pleased with a log burner were a Finnish couple (I think) and a Canadian guy ‘Foresty Forest’ who live in the colder climates and have easily accessible wood - Foresty Forest has a self build AWD van and has a chainsaw in his van. Think he has a diesel heater as back up 😁

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back