Does a British disabled badge work in France or spain (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610
Exp
10 years
I have a British disabled badge does it work in France or Spain. If it doesn’t what do I need to do to get requisite documentation
thanks

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have a British disabled badge does it work in France or Spain. If it doesn’t what do I need to do to get requisite documentation
thanks

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
I have been looking around and this is the best info that i can find.

So the answer is maybe, but for some countries you have to print out an associated notice.
My suggestion if you cannot find out localy, is use it where there are dedicated parking spaces, but try and avoid the parking on double lines situation unless you can stay with the vehicle.

They are not accepted in the states, but all the national parks we went to were happy to issue us a pass on presentation of one (in our case a french one) so we could get to the disabled parking areas that were often a lot closer to points of interest that the normal parking.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
FYI.
My wife’s works in Cyprus.
I think within reason it will be fine in most European countries if you are parked reasonably.

But I am sure that the OP wants to know if it is legal or not so he can either park with confidence or at least know that they might get a parking fine if they are unlucky enough to get a jobsworth.

From the list I posted earlier, it looks like France and Spain is down to local authorities regulations, and not a definate right.

I would suggest the OP contact the tourist information for the areas in advance, and ask what the local regs are.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I used mine in France last year over about a 6 week period and I'm currently in Portugal doing the same having travelled through Spain. No problems so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Our gov are too soft and obliging.
I can gaurantee you that the Disabled Parking - four places - at our local Supermarket are usually empty, except in the summer when they will be occupied by UK registered cars with UK 'Disabled' badges.

The vast majority of French people, including my neighbor who would qualify for one under the strict regulations that exist in France for obtaining a Disabled Badge, consider it not to be a 'Badge of Shame' but something that belittles them in the eyes' of others; bearing in mind we are talking small towns were everyone knows every one else. Therefore, as a matter of Pride they would rather walk an additional 10m or so then been seen as special.

Robert

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
The Answer is yes you can use your blue badge in France and Spain
And this is explained where, uk government website says.

I can gaurantee you that the Disabled Parking - four places - at our local Supermarket are usually empty, except in the summer when they will be occupied by UK registered cars with UK 'Disabled' badges.

The vast majority of French people, including my neighbor who would qualify for one under the strict regulations that exist in France for obtaining a Disabled Badge, consider it not to be a 'Badge of Shame' but something that belittles them in the eyes' of others; bearing in mind we are talking small towns were everyone knows every one else. Therefore, as a matter of Pride they would rather walk an additional 10m or so then been seen as special.

Robert
Disabled parking, in supermarkets shopping centers etc are governed by whoever is responsible at the comercial center.

But on public highways it is controled by the police.
Here in Hérault i haven't particularly noticed a lack of use by disabled people, but like everywhere quite a lot of misuse by able bodied people.

But at least, unlike the UK, you dont get lines of family with children spaces, right in front of the entrance and disabled 1 or 2 rows back.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
And this is explained where, uk government website says.

Disabled parking, in supermarkets shopping centers etc are governed by whoever is responsible at the comercial center.

But on public highways it is controled by the police.
Here in Hérault i haven't particularly noticed a lack of use by disabled people, but like everywhere quite a lot of misuse by able bodied people.

But at least, unlike the UK, you dont get lines of family with children spaces, right in front of the entrance and disabled 1 or 2 rows back.
Sorry it seamed to have included half a previous reply as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

matsue

Free Member
May 7, 2021
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680G
Exp
Since 1980
My suggestion if you cannot find out localy, is use it where there are dedicated parking spaces, but try and avoid the parking on double lines situation unless you can stay with the vehicle.

They are not accepted in the states, but all the national parks we went to were happy to issue us a pass on presentation of one (in our case a french one) so we could get to the disabled parking areas that were often a lot closer to points of interest that the normal parking.
I know the question was about France and Spain but the additional information about "the states" if that means the United States. is inaccurate. In the state of Florida, for example, it used to be the case that if you had a Blue Badge you could apply by post or in person for a visitors temporary handicap tag using your Blue Badge as evidence. However the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles has confirmed that anybody who has a Blue Badge which displays the international symbol of disability, namely the wheelchair symbol, is entitled to use their Blue Badge in Florida and no longer has to apply for a temporary tag. See their website) Good news since it means less hassle and a $15 dollar issue saving.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
s

Agreed, but here in Mansle the 'Disabled' Bays' are used akin to '10 Minute Parking' as they are usually empty, they jump out grab a sandwich and are off. The Gendarmes do patrol the Supermarket Car Park - their Barracks are behind it - but like all things here in France they are very practical when it comes to interpreting the application of the law.

Maybe one reason perhaps why our 'Disabled Bays' are so little used, Mansle has the highest Death Rate in the Charente Department, we are home to five 'Senior Residences' which probably motivates local people to keep fit by walking.........................

Robert

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Got a shock in Germany when holidaying on the Mosel with my disabled wife. You have to buy a parking ticket as well as have a disabled badge to use the disabled parking spot! Was 10 years ago tho 😐

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
They are not excepted here in Spain, 🤔 apparently you have to jump through hoops and it takes two years in Spain to get one. 😮😁 Bob.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
They are not accepted here in Spain, 🤔 apparently you have to jump through hoops .......
That's very unfair. I couldn't do that and I don't have a physical disability.
( oo.gif Sorry).

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Got a shock in Germany when holidaying on the Mosel with my disabled wife. You have to buy a parking ticket as well as have a disabled badge to use the disabled parking spot! Was 10 years ago tho 😐
Not always, the overwhelming majority are free but some are going for the Australian model of providing a suitable space but you pay like everyone else, all in the name of equality.
That being said, haven't had to pay for a wheely space in 15 years in Germany, which will probably change next week nowI have said it 😀

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Cornwall have introduced a scheme where only locals registered with them get any discount or free parking. So if a visitor to the county you pay full price irrespective of a blue badge.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Surely even for you UK residents just visiting any Super Market you must wonder why all these 'Disabled Parking Places' are required! We have had experience of visiting UK and going out with a seriouly 'Disabled' MiL with a Blue Badge and failed to find a parking place in the 'so called' Disabled Parking Bays'. We have had to park as near as possible in the Public parking area and watched the Car Park entrance blocked by cars' queing up waiting for a free space to become vacant. Then watched people sprinting for the entrance.

It is no wonder the UK 'Blue Badge'is held in such little regard in mainland europe where it has already been posted that it is not that easy to obtain, nor do people seem to aspire to obtaining one.

Please enlighten me,

Robert

Also been verbally abused for daring to pull out of an ordinary Parking Place as no Disabled Place was vacant in order to try to get a MiL out of her wheel chair into the car, French registered which I suppose didn't help.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Surely even for you UK residents just visiting any Super Market you must wonder why all these 'Disabled Parking Places' are required! We have had experience of visiting UK and going out with a seriouly 'Disabled' MiL with a Blue Badge and failed to find a parking place in the 'so called' Disabled Parking Bays'. We have had to park as near as possible in the Public parking area and watched the Car Park entrance blocked by cars' queing up waiting for a free space to become vacant. Then watched people sprinting for the entrance.

It is no wonder the UK 'Blue Badge'is held in such little regard in mainland europe where it has already been posted that it is not that easy to obtain, nor do people seem to aspire to obtaining one.

Please enlighten me,

Robert

Also been verbally abused for daring to pull out of an ordinary Parking Place as no Disabled Place was vacant in order to try to get a MiL out of her wheel chair into the car, French registered which I suppose didn't help.
Believe me I would much prefer not to need a blue badge. It may help me with parking but it does nothing to help the on going difficulties I experience having fractured my lower spine.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They are not excepted here in Spain, 🤔 apparently you have to jump through hoops and it takes two years in Spain to get one. 😮😁 Bob.
Yes quite true & amazingly it is far ,far easier to get a disability pension than it is to get a blue badge.
Just returned from Spain. Whilst parked in a disabled bay in Santander my badge was inspected by the local police and they said all was okay and no need to pay.
they obviously either don't know the new rules or can't be bothered if there is no problem.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Just returned from Spain. Whilst parked in a disabled bay in Santander my badge was inspected by the local police and they said all was okay and no need to pay.
I think within reason if you are parked in a designated disabled bay, its only going to be the jobs worth that cause any problems, but if you tried a restricted zone like double yellow lines or equivalent then you may get into more trouble.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Believe me I would much prefer not to need a blue badge. It may help me with parking but it does nothing to help the the on going difficulties I experience having fractured my lower spine.
I absolutely accept that there are people, you, my late 'MiL' and anybody else who is medically proven to be in need of a 'Blue Badge' should be able to claim one and gain the exemptions provided. No dispute, my problem is all the people who don't qualify for one but who are either issued them, or use them fraudently. When my wife handed her Mothers' Blue Badge into the Council Office they were aghast as virtually no one surrenders them. Tells you something about fraudalent use.

I'm in my mid 70's and lucky enough to be able rely on my own two legs for the time being, but who knows what the future may bring.

Robert

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back