Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I am currently on a site in Spain which has a high proportion of long termers some of which are driving on plated UK vehicles that never seem to return to the UK . This week i have been offered from 2 different sources mot,s without returning home for 200 and 300 euros , and they will be valid on the Dvla website by the end of the week. I have also come across this on other sites over here .
It doesn,t seem fair that most people are paying out a fortune in returning home to legalise their vehicles while others are flouting the rules. Is this black market common abroad ?
I would just like to state that my vehicles are UK tested

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Do you get a proper vehicle test or is it just a price to pay some dodgy guy in Spain who has an even dodgier mate in UK who has access to MOT testers login on DVLA? Or do they just do it all from Spain?
I realise you probably didn’t grill them as you weren’t interested.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Do you get a proper vehicle test or is it just a price to pay some dodgy guy in Spain who has an even dodgier mate in UK who has access to MOT testers login on DVLA? Or do they just do it all from Spain?
I realise you probably didn’t grill them as you weren’t interested.

Yes I think the op is saying is that a UK mot is supplied from the UK with full correct details on it & added to the system. No you aren't actually getting the vehicle tested.
I had someone here who had not been to UK for 5 years . Vehicle sported an mot & ,at the time, 2014 up to date , tax disc.:xangry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
then Any insurance cover is invalidated surely?but they must have a fix for that as well?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
then Any insurance cover is invalidated surely?but they must have a fix for that as well?
Well we guess the fix is, who’s going to know? If DVLA database looks correct insurance not going to delve. It will only come to light if there is a criminal investigation into the MOT tester who is issuing the verification. All testers are registered and have a special number don’t they?

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
When I was a much younger man, I had an old mini, my first car,,,,

Never had a chance of passing an mot,, car cost me £80 ,,,

Went to the local pub, bought an mot for £10,,,

Two weeks later, got stopped and had to produce!!!

At the end of the week I went to the station with all documents,,, no problem! ( or so I thought)

Another two weeks went by, and on a lazy Sunday afternoon I had a knock on my door,, as I proceeded to open the door a dozen or so policemen came bowling in!!!

Handcuffed me, searched the house,, looking for a load of stolen mots !!

Wife went mental at me,, kicked and punched me as I was handcuffed, much to the policemens delight,,, they did very little to stop her!!!

We had just had our daughter, and I think she was hormonal!! Lol.

Got arrested, went to court, fined £ 175

Never again did I not have a genuine mot!!!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bloke from work retired to Portugal, I don't know the exact details but you're not allowed to keep a British reg vehicle over there permanently ? Anyhoo, he thought he was being clever and got an "mot off a friend" when he flew back here every summer, then taxed and insured the car. Not sure how he was found out, but he ended up getting a fine of around €6000. There was mention of not having traceable ferry/tunnel tickets for that car to prove it had returned to Blighty.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry There's another thread running just noe regarding UK registered vehicles only being allowed in Spain for a maximum of 183 days in any 12 months.
So I was just asking how these vehicles are getting around that.

My vans having it's mot done tomorrow a month early to give me a 13 month mot as I'd intended on travelling for 12 months in Spain and Portugal ...and I only just read about this 183 day rule.

I'm just curious how these vehicles aren't being found out especially if some have been there for years

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think these people just keep their heads down and hope they don’t have an incident involving the authorities?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Some vehicles are just parked up on sites and left there, there is a RV parked behind us at La Manga which has GB plates but has not moved for at least 5 years.
Surely that site owner is breaking some law then allowing that to be there if the Spanish law states it should be re registered

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry There's another thread running just noe regarding UK registered vehicles only being allowed in Spain for a maximum of 183 days in any 12 months.

My vans having it's mot done tomorrow a month early to give me a 13 month mot as I'd intended on travelling for 12 months in Spain and Portugal ...and I only just read about this 183 day rule.

I'm just curious how these vehicles aren't being found out especially if some have been there for years
Unless you get noticed; i.e in a mainly Brit area, or have an incident etc; the chances are quite remote.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
THERE was a program on the tv one night this guy a news paper reporter had a MOT IN LONDON his car never got to the mot station he just give the reg and vin number paid £100 got a mot ,this how it was done a car on the ramps passed all the test all they done was enter the details of the bent car full mot then the reporter tuned up with the car on the back of a lorry ready to scrap ray xx lol still lol any one for a bent MOT :xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’ve been reliably informed if you keep your head down and avoid highly populated Brit areas it’s unlikely you’ll get pulled.
Don’t know if it works as have no intention of trying not worth the stress

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It would be particularly useful if the vehicles concerned were reported rather than discussed on here. People willing to break the law by supplying false MoTs won't be above doing the same in more damaging scenarios. I have no sympathy for anyone caught up in this.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The amount of MOT stations and testers, its a racing certainty that a few will be bent. Brothers a tester, wouldn't even pass mine with a missing rear door handle until they had sourced one, took about two weeks before he signed it off. Not being nasty, just him, straight as a die, plenty like him.

Deleted User

How would they know, no border controls on land borders.

I know it would theoretically be possible to investigate accommodation etc but I suspect the Spanish Guardia/Policia have more pressing priorities, even if they have been in Spain for a few years.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007

I'm sure that ruling is just for ex pats living in Spain..........

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
One of the RV owners had his on a site permanently sited for years, I suppose he just treated it like a static home.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
think the scam kneads reporting thay are just playing with someones life or even a full family wiped out if something gose wrong with the vehicle,
i know that a MOT is only as good as the time you have it done but thers so much dangerus thing that can be piked up at MOT.
bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The MOT in Spain is totally illegal and the garage that is producing the documents for them in the UK needs to be shut down as they are risking people's lives doing this, even if the car is actually tested the garage itself will not be regulated by the UK authorities to ensure they are doing things correctly.

Not having a genuine MOT will invalidate insurance and the owner/driver of the vehicle will be subject to fine and/or jail depending on why it was found, eg after an accident when the insurers try to confirm that the owners had brought it back to the UK for testing - if you can't produce ferry or tunnel tickets confirming that the vehicle crossed or these details cannot be corroborated by the relevant company, you will be in very, very deep doo-doo!

I have NO sympathy for anyone who gets caught with an illegal MOT (nor those who don't have tax or insurance) it's not just money/hassle they're saving they are risking other people's lives not to mention their own.

I met a couple on an aire last year and they had a toad behind their MH which hadn't been back to UK for a couple of years or so and they were more than happy to tell me that they got it done in Spain, when I mentioned that it wasn't a valid MOT they knew it wasn't but weren't interested as it suited them to do it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I met a couple on an aire last year and they had a toad behind their MH which hadn't been back to UK for a couple of years or so and they were more than happy to tell me that they got it done in Spain, when I mentioned that it wasn't a valid MOT they knew it wasn't but weren't interested as it suited them to do it.

But isn't that proof that the law is an ass...............as far as I know the MOT in Spain is more rigorous than in the UK..

.........if the vehicle is safe in Spain.. where it is......

doesn't it make more sense that the vehicle is actually tested and legal in Spain rather than the country of origin?

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Going back to the UK to get an MOT every 12 months can be a pain in the arse.

No one in their right mind would want to drive a vehicle that was dangerous.

Typical failure of UK and EU governments that you can't have reciprocal agreements where you can get get tested abroad. Is the German, Spanish or French equivalent of our MOT not good enough?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back