Do you have a Tracker? If so read this! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Background:

We have a Smartrack tracker installed, it was a requirement in order for us to get insurance due to the value of our MH, and we took out a lifetime subscription for the monitoring. The 'kit' is only warranted for 3 years so we've taken out a renewal warranty which covers parts & labour at a cost of £99 for 3 years, this covers us for any work necessary in the UK. It does NOT however cover any warranty work if it goes wrong abroad so we would be responsible for fixing it ourselves then with no recourse to the warranty but as they don't seem to go wrong that often it doesn't appear to be a major issue.

The BIG elephant in the room is that, as it is a stipulated requirement for our having motorhome insurance, if it wasn't functioning it would void part of our policy so we would NOT be covered for theft of our motorhome.

This begs the question of how many others have the same insurance stipulation but are oblivious to the fact that not having a working tracker could mean they won't get a pay out if it is nicked and never recovered.

Also how many of you actually check your tracker is working?

eddievanbitz - what is the situation with the tracker that you install?

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Very good question. Just checked my insurance and it stipulates “must have a working and fully monitored tracker” In fact I had to send insurance company (Aviva) proof of tracker make, model and Thatcham classification along with paid up subscriptions covering the period of insurance. I’m no expert, but surely there can’t be much that can go wrong with a tracker. To be honest, I haven’t a clue whereabouts it’s fitted on the MH or for that matter what it looks like.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I installed a tracker with its own built in backup battery, it was monitored but was not an insurance requirement. I became aware the unit stopped responding due to a failure of the battery. So yes they can fail, mine lasted 5 years before replacement.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Without checking the details I think it may be the same re a working and set alarm system for cover for theft etc. Just like not covered for theft if spare keys left in van and they’re used to steal it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I binned the useless Scorpion tracker as it was unreliable and also (subsequently discovered) poorly installed and quite regularly gave a wrong position. I regularly check that the Vanbitz replacement is telling the truth which is easy to do on the app.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The BIG elephant in the room is that, as it is a stipulated requirement for our having motorhome insurance, if it wasn't functioning it would void part of our policy so we would NOT be covered for theft of our motorhome.
That is quite logical though.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I had a Sargent one that stopped working in UK. Rang Sargent and they said they would send a replacement - they couldn't see it on their system either. Rang insurers and they gave me a week or 10 days to get the replacement fitted before the insurance would be invalidated. Luckily it arrived within a couple of days. So they do stop working.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
My comfort insurance stipulates alarms and locked - nothing about trackers

Insurance companies can stipulate a working tracker in the policy, but if you have done everything reasonable to fit and maintain one, they couldn’t duck a payout if it had stopped working suddenly.

If it stopped and you did nothing for 3 months for example then they’d have a case. But as a policyholder, if you have taken all reasonable steps, you’d be covered.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
One of my trackers is provided by my insurers who are responsible for it and after first year I checked when renewing re battery life and they will notify me and replace tracker if there’s a problem, therefore not my responsibility.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Fit a second tracker ?

My van has two, an old one fitted by the dealers, who then stopped paying the subs, but it can be easily reactivated.
and a newer one fitted by VanBitz

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My comfort insurance stipulates alarms and locked - nothing about trackers

Insurance companies can stipulate a working tracker in the policy, but if you have done everything reasonable to fit and maintain one, they couldn’t duck a payout if it had stopped working suddenly.

If it stopped and you did nothing for 3 months for example then they’d have a case. But as a policyholder, if you have taken all reasonable steps, you’d be covered.
We are Comfort as well
For us they insisted on a tracker (and alarm and engine blocker)
It depends on perceived risk, where you store it and where you live

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have just been notified by Swift/Sargent that our Tracker subscription is due….”follow this link to your account and click Renew”.

Only problem is that there is no “Renew” button on that page! :devil:

Twos company

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2008
Boroughbridge
Funster No
MH
VW transporter
Exp
25+
Check it works abroad my out smart the
Thief isn’t working in Spain alarm is ok the the tracker won’t find my van
Duffie

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Background:

We have a Smartrack tracker installed, it was a requirement in order for us to get insurance due to the value of our MH, and we took out a lifetime subscription for the monitoring. The 'kit' is only warranted for 3 years so we've taken out a renewal warranty which covers parts & labour at a cost of £99 for 3 years, this covers us for any work necessary in the UK. It does NOT however cover any warranty work if it goes wrong abroad so we would be responsible for fixing it ourselves then with no recourse to the warranty but as they don't seem to go wrong that often it doesn't appear to be a major issue.

This begs the question of how many others have the same insurance stipulation but are oblivious to the fact that not having a working tracker could mean they won't get a pay out if it is nicked and never recovered.

Can confirm Vanbitz supplied tracker works couple of months ago, went off and within a mile of home had a call to say tracker reported no compliant device :winky: ..

My Bad QED on this occasion it worked as expected.

Might add think the alarm fob buttons are reversed and have on occasions pressed the wrong one. Woken the dead and had a message to say the same.

As late edit: Yes, tis an insurance requirement that in the aforesaid hope the thief hasn't bought a device from Ebay that nullifies any GPS/Mobile phone network-based tracker

Last edited:

BillM

Free Member
Sep 29, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
2016 Hymer, Adria
If it is an insurance requirement to have a tracker installed, it surely follows that the tracker should be working? The insurer can check with the tracker company that it was working before paying any claim....

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
If it is an insurance requirement to have a tracker installed, it surely follows that the tracker should be working? The insurer can check with the tracker company that it was working before paying any claim....
I agree, not sure I disagree with the t&c’s and would expect the policy to stipulate or assume that said tracker is functioning regardless of where you are, otherwise it’s pretty pointless them saying you have to have a tracker but not stipulating or assuming that it should be operational at all times.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Background:

Well as you've tagged me in, my take on this? Any tracking system can easily be disabled from the outside of the vehicle so is fairly pointless.

They don't tend to go wrong, sell someone a "warranty" is a bit tongue in cheek in my opinion.

I can't remember ever changing a unit as it had "failed"

As for the UK warranty not covering you abroad, I am sure that if you asked them for a European service and offered to pay for a European service that they'd come up with something, after all they have come up with the UK scheme :rofl:

As a guess I would think that "if" a tracker did fail abroad it wouldn't invalidate the insurance it would just mean complications if the motorhome was stolen abroad, which is unlikely being the steering wheel is on the wrong side and your actually in it quite a lot. I am more concerned about motorhomes on drives with owners away, rather then motorhomes away from drives with owners in them.

So would we ever charge for an extended warranty on a Thatcham tracking system? No

Would I ever pay to extend the warranty on a Thatcham tracking system? No

Do I see any of this a worry at all? No

What date did I start fitting tracking systems? 1996 L.E.O Low Earth Orbit installed at £1,499.00 What is the installed cost of our Shadow Thatcham approved tracking system in 2022? £299!

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Have the same Tracker as OP

First one failed, replacement booked but they could not do it for 2 weeks, called Insurance Company. No worries they said, call us in 3 weeks if its not working.

How an insurance company can access tracker records with GDPR etc is something I have no idea but I think if you inform the insurance as soon as you are the device is not working and get it fixed in a reasonable time you would not have any issues.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I still say if insurers want a tracker it's for their benefit, not the van owners.
If they can track and trace it they won't have to pay out as a total loss saving them thousands.
Therefore, if the insurers want a tracker they should be responsible for having one installed and maintained.
Of course, that will never happen.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I still say if insurers want a tracker it's for their benefit, not the van owners.
If they can track and trace it they won't have to pay out as a total loss saving them thousands.
Therefore, if the insurers want a tracker they should be responsible for having one installed and maintained.
Of course, that will never happen.
Best advice is get another quote!

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I think after reading this post, is that it would be a good idea to listen to experts rather than insurance companies, Eddie gives sound advice which as a layman I would prefer to listen to,,,as I know bugger all about most things👍

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think after reading this post, is that it would be a good idea to listen to experts rather than insurance companies, Eddie gives sound advice which as a layman I would prefer to listen to,,,as I know bugger all about most things👍
…..except taking out bridge protestors 😂

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As a guess I would think that "if" a tracker did fail abroad it wouldn't invalidate the insurance it would just mean complications if the motorhome was stolen abroad, which is unlikely being the steering wheel is on the wrong side and your actually in it quite a lot. I am more concerned about motorhomes on drives with owners away, rather then motorhomes away from drives with owners in them.
That's not what we've been told by our insurer, no tracker, no theft cover, end of. :oops:

I suppose having a RHD MH is a benefit to some extent ... might make those who buy LHD ones think about it though!:giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Regarding the tracker itself, I agree, however he isn't my insurer and they are the ones that are covering my MH.

It's a slim chance that we'd have any issues when abroad but 'sod' and 'law' could get together and spoil our fun.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That's not what we've been told by our insurer, no tracker, no theft cover, end of. :oops:
That is exactly what I said, it wouldn’t invalidate your insurance, just a problem in case of theft.

I really would worry about it, if a vehicle is stolen and the tracking system fails to locate everyone assumes a jammer was used anyway.

I have never come a across a failed theft insurance claim for a suspected inoperative tracking device, they are simply too easy to disable remotely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back