Do I need breathalyzer for France (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Been told we need to buy two of those breathalyzers for France? Is that true?

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
We've never carried any. as far as i know it is no longer required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Who have you been told that by?

I presume a company selling defunct breath testers.

A typical French law that carries no penalty so ignore it.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It was a piece of legislation that was, apparently, brought in by someone who had a vested interest in the factory that produced them in France. It has since been officially decided that no action would be taken on it. So don't bother.

Wyn

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Re: French Breathalyser Law
29 July 2013, 09:31
It's a strange one because although there is a law requiring one, including motorbikes, the fine for not having a kit has been suspended indefinitely. So if you do not have a kit nothing happens.
From the AA
January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.
So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

They are still available from ferry companies if you wish to buy some along with the over-priced confectionery !

Last edited:

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Sarkozy had a mate who's company made the breathalysers and as normal with 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' he pushed through a law that nobody wanted and when he'd gone, Sarkozy that is, everyone breathed a sigh of relief and threw the breathalyser law to one side.

No, you don't need any.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Sarkozy had a mate who's company made the breathalysers and as normal with 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' he pushed through a law that nobody wanted and when he'd gone, Sarkozy that is, everyone breathed a sigh of relief and threw the breathalyser law to one side.

No, you don't need any.

Self regulation is no regulation......if that's not a saying, it should be :(

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Who have you been told that by?

I presume a company selling defunct breath testers.

A typical French law that carries no penalty so ignore it.

One of the wife's clients who works for the border agency, I thought it was wrong but decided to ask you guys. Thanks for the info.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

No, you don't need any.

I heard that it was his wife's brother-in-law's company that had sole rights to making the testers.

I was given two by a friend the "law" was first announced.

I used a slightly out of date one the morning after a very heavy night of whisky drinking and it suggested that I was fine to drive which shocked me because, based on my calculations, I wouldn't have been fit to drive until 1pm that afternoon (I didn't drive until 4pm).

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you are caught in France without at least two breathalysers, you are liable to be guillotined... or burnt at the stake in revenge for Ms Joan from Arc.

JJ :cool:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If you are caught in France without at least two breathalysers, you are liable to be guillotined... or burnt at the stake in revenge for Ms Joan from Arc.

JJ :cool:

She was on the "wacky baccy" and fell asleep on the job as I remember it?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
It was too late when Joan was very repentant .......

JOAN 2.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One of the wife's clients who works for the border agency, I thought it was wrong but decided to ask you guys. Thanks for the info.
Perhaps your wife would like to educate him/her ... (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Someone needs to inform P&O!
And Halfrauds!

Keep telling them that their display at point of sale saying they are a legal requirement in France is false.

They never change them. Last time I looked at their display at our local store they were all two years out of date.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And Halfrauds!

Keep telling them that their display at point of sale saying they are a legal requirement in France is false.

They never change them. Last time I looked at their display at our local store they were all two years out of date.
... which means that at least no-one is falling for the 'claim' and buying them ... (y)

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
And Halfrauds!

Isn't it still the case that they are a legal requirement in France, the only thing that has changed is there is now no repercussion for non-compliance. (y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
However it's pretty clear that they are not required. However, if you do have one, it must be in date. That's the usual way these EU laws (even non laws) work.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016

I don't believe that it is the law itself that has been suspended but that the enforcement and fine for non-compliance has been suspended due to numerious issues with supply and reliability of the breathalysers. Or at least that it what the AA, RAC and other driving related websites appear to be stating.

Semantics maybe, but either way it does mean you can chose not to carry one. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
There is no doubt that in our area of France local residents consider the law defunct. As @cornish boy says, semantics apart, there is no need to carry any.

Incidentally, when Halfrauds were selling them at £5 each or a pack of two for £8 they were selling at 1 euro each in France.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I've been carrying a pack around for the last 5 years. The use by date was 2014. I used one last night to check I was OK to drive after a couple of glasses of wine. Rip off merchants in the UK were selling them for £5 a pack when they were only 2 Euros in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back