Do I need a RCD on an inverter? (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It depends on inverter,

I can help with the Phoenix models if Ozric responds. There is a way of grounding the neutral on all phoenix, but different on ve models. Then rcd will work. As it is out the box, rcd it will not work

Reactions: DBK
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That one is probably a single pole RCD. I thought 2 pole was essential with an inverter.
Once the neutral is grounded , then becomes true neutral. The double pole is needed where the polarity can be reversed like the continental plug it can be plugged either way.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is probably no help at all but I'll give it a go as it might explain why the use of RCDs and inverters is a bit tricky.

Have a look at this diagram.

1610910288716.png

It's massively simplified but what it is showing is on the left is a circuit of transistors which are generating a low voltage AC current which is being fed into a transformer. The secondary winding on the right has more turns and this increases the voltage to around 240 volts.

The problem with using an RCD is there is no earth connection involved with the circuit in the diagram and typically an RCD senses a leakage of current (through your body!) to earth.

You can get around this by connecting one side of the output to earth, which sounds odd but this is what happens with your mains at home - neutral and earth are connected together.

Where it gets more complicated is some inverters have a centre tapping from the secondary winding and this is used as the earth. If you have one of these connecting one side to earth will short circuit that side of the winding - which isn't wise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Some inverters output out of phase 115V down both wires which ups to 230V when the two out of phase supplies meet in the device but are less dangerous individually. You therefore need 2 pole switches and devices for this type.

Ozric

Free Member
Jan 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
vw crafter
It’s brand new, so current model.

Ozric

Free Member
Jan 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
vw crafter
It depends on inverter,

I can help with the Phoenix models if Ozric responds. There is a way of grounding the neutral on all phoenix, but different on ve models. Then rcd will work. As it is out the box, rcd it will not work
Just checked and has ve direct.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Just checked and has ve direct.
Ok, for ve direct models is easy. Take cover of and move yellow wire( PE) from right to the spade connector near the yellow component, over the transformer See apendix A page 12 in the manual for the pictures and detailed explanation. Once you do that, you have neutral bonded to chassis/earth PE, and RCD will operate as intended.

Ozric

Free Member
Jan 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
vw crafter
Brilliant
Had just found this earlier and am just back after having purchased a plug in rcd. East way to make safe.
Many thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back