Disappointed in Michelin tyres (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't need two spares. You can mount one in the wrong direction. Just get it sorted when you fix the broken tyre.
No good if you want to rotate the spare, which I like to do and then change all 5.
That’s in an ideal world, honestly how many people do you know that would buy 4 new tyres and bin 2 perfectly good ones ?
My tyres are probably good for another 18 months before they will be down to 3mm just about to order 5 new tyres. Well worth it to get rid of the dreadful Michelin Agilis campers that on there at the moment.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
My last two cars came fitted as standard with winter tyres.. XC90 and Panda 4x4..
If you don't want to go full winter go for intermediates which give best of both worlds.. The much discussed Cross Climates are such a tyre.

Yes I agree with you, but finding all season tyres the load index and 15" dia, seems to be a challenge

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thought I found a new tyre ,until I saw the price . Why ? £999.99 .
7DF590EB-2094-4412-9820-FD1D0F263B24.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
2 of my new tyres arrived Friday other 3 arriving today came from Germany.
Toyo Observe Van they are a winter tyre with 121 load rating. £107 each from Tyre Leader, getting a local mobile guy to fit them for £15 each.
Why those tyres Lenny ,have you had experience of them before or is it just the price you have gone for . They are a very good price👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Why those tyres Lenny ,have you had experience of them before or is it just the price you have gone for . They are a very good price👍
Other Funsters have used Toyo tyres in the past mainly HO9's they are no longer available. They are Japans largest tyre manufacturer and have a good rep. I wanted either winter or 4 season (Alpine marked) tyres that were not directional. Most of the non-directional tyres were budget brands so the Toyo's it was. Unfortunately they are one of their newer tyres so no reviews on them but I've never seen a bad review on Toyo tyres.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
2 of my new tyres arrived Friday other 3 arriving today came from Germany.
Toyo Observe Van they are a winter tyre with 121 load rating. £107 each from Tyre Leader, getting a local mobile guy to fit them for £15 each.
Lenny HB can i ask if you intend using these all year round or changing them each summer back to summer tyre's.
Interested as what I have read so far suggests that they loose grip and stability in the warmer weather.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I am also interested in the view on the use of winter tyres in the summer as there is some really conflicting views out there!

I have been going round the loop on replacement tyres and have been following this thread with interest.

Whilst I know that continental tyres have a pressure chart for their tyres does anyone know the situation for say Toyo or Hankoook? Do people use the advice of Mytryes?

My head is really beginning to hurt! We run on 225/75/R16

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We used continental all season tyres on our flair----- alas they are now being used by new owner!!!!
Would have absolutely no doubts about using the same again.
We tried to find BFG to fit our van but no load rating to suit hence the continental!!

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I am also interested in the view on the use of winter tyres in the summer as there is some really conflicting views out there!

I have been going round the loop on replacement tyres and have been following this thread with interest.

Whilst I know that continental tyres have a pressure chart for their tyres does anyone know the situation for say Toyo or Hankoook? Do people use the advice of Mytryes?

My head is really beginning to hurt! We run on 225/75/R16

I know what you mean I feel my head going to explode 😂just when I think I have sorted it along comes another brand ,all this indecisiveness must be an age thing 😁

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I bet the van looks great with them on it 😁👍
Certainly taller, and about the same amount of noise as the mich camper tyres, We had them in black just to be different .. lol our van is 3.5 ton the wheels/tyres are rated at 1250kg per corner so well over what we needed.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Other Funsters have used Toyo tyres in the past mainly HO9's they are no longer available. They are Japans largest tyre manufacturer and have a good rep. I wanted either winter or 4 season (Alpine marked) tyres that were not directional. Most of the non-directional tyres were budget brands so the Toyo's it was. Unfortunately they are one of their newer tyres so no reviews on them but I've never seen a bad review on Toyo tyres.
Thanks Lenny ,I do like the idea of them not being directional👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny HB can i ask if you intend using these all year round or changing them each summer back to summer tyre's.
Interested as what I have read so far suggests that they loose grip and stability in the warmer weather.
I will be using them all year round, our longer trips abroad are normally Feb/March and Mid Sep/Oct/Nov.
The newer generation don't appear to lose grip in the heat like the older ones. I'm fed up with the lousy grip the Michelins have in the wet & on gravel I'll gladly suffer a bit less grip in the heat on good tarmac roads if the traction control doesn't keep cutting in like it does now.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Good afternoon ,

Do you change the tyres because of wear or age ?

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Good afternoon,

I have 4 good tyres with plenty of tread on ( conti Vanco) but am changing because of 6 years old I think Iam going for the Hancook ra 18 8 ply m&s. its all part of the mid life revamp for the van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had a mobile fitter fit the Toyo's today and I went for a good drive round after.
Well impressed, I know new tyres are always quieter than old but these are sooo quiet and the ride comfort is in a different league to the crapy Michelins. If I'd changed the tyres when the van was new I probably wouldn't have needed to spend over 7 grand on air suspension but where is the fun in that.
Chatting to the tyre fitter he was saying loads of people fit winter tyres for all year use now.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Had a mobile fitter fit the Toyo's today and I went for a good drive round after.
Well impressed, I know new tyres are always quieter than old but these are sooo quiet and the ride comfort is in a different league to the crapy Michelins. If I'd changed the tyres when the van was new I probably wouldn't have needed to spend over 7 grand on air suspension but where is the fun in that.
Chatting to the tyre fitter he was saying loads of people fit winter tyres for all year use now.
Hello Lenny , just ordered two of the Toyo’s . Great price hopefully I will be as pleased as you are 👍 . By the way what weight is your van and pressure do you run at .

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I had Michelin’s on the Duetto when we bought it. They lasted five years until we sold the van. They seemed ok and looked like would last a bit longer.
The Rienza we have now has had Continental Vanco Campers on it for five years. The o/s front has begun to show cracks in the treads. All the rest of the tyres are the same age. I checked the dates when they were fitted.
I have never been happy with the tyre pressures so I think I will find a weigh bridge and see what continental recommend. The tyre fitter said 45 psi Front, 65 Rear and the service garage always set them the same.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am looking to go down the Toyo route on the next set . so be interested in how they go.

however! having just got home after a week and a half mini break and today had the announcement of "essential travel only" in Wales as well as a local lockdown,,,,,:mad:
cant see me wearing my tyres out anytime soon...:rolleyes:

they are more likely to die of old age!!:oops:

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Lenny HB hope you don't mind the 101 questions! Our van is rated at 4250 with a maximum rear axle load of 2450kg.

Do have details of the maximum pressure the tyre can take and what sort of pressures are you using?

If I ever meet you beers on me, you provide such a lot of great advice and information. (What a sook I hear people say!)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hello Lenny , just ordered two of the Toyo’s . Great price hopefully I will be as pleased as you are 👍 . By the way what weight is your van and pressure do you run at .
Still only two?
Hi Lenny HB hope you don't mind the 101 questions! Our van is rated at 4250 with a maximum rear axle load of 2450kg.

Do have details of the maximum pressure the tyre can take and what sort of pressures are you using?

If I ever meet you beers on me, you provide such a lot of great advice and information. (What a sook I hear people say!)
Our van is 4500kg, front max 2300kg rear 2500kg running at front 1930 kg, rear 2200 kg.
To start with I've got the front at 60 psi & rear at 70 psi.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back