Disabled Parking Bays (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
The title of this thread is "motorhomes" for the disabled I would dearly love my child to be able to walk, in this context saying "Parents should make the kids walk, they would be healthier," is very insulting to disabled children or adults.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The title of this thread is "motorhomes" for the disabled I would dearly love my child to be able to walk, in this context saying "Parents should make the kids walk, they would be healthier," is very insulting to disabled children or adults.
I'm sure the statement was aimed at non-disabled children who are driven everywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I fully support the blue badge parking options, but I don’t like it when the badge holder appears to be the driver who then stays in the vehicle while able bodied passengers go shopping from closer to the door 🤔
How would you know that it was the driver that holds the badge as they are not displayed with the photo showing? Not all disabilities are visable.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
What really winds me up is people ignoring the invalid signs and treating them a ordinary Very Good parking place.
Supermarkets are the worse because they are on private property and no one will enforce them.
It's mostly the younger idiots and and often asians that have no respect for us old dodderers.
My wife can't use regular parking bays now because she needs to be able the doors fully.
Asians are you sure? Are you monitoring and keeping records?

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I have to park my vehicle nose in so I can access the ramp to enable the wheelchair to exit/enter. The ramp often extends into the access road between parking spaces. Several times drivers have sounded their horn and shouted at me to be quicker/get out of the way/park in a far corner. None of these drivers have been Asian nor younger "idiots" but middle aged white "adults" usually in BMWs/Mercedes or Land Rover badged vehicles. These people are just ignorant self centered bullies.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Not sure what can of worms you think has been opened, are you saying disabled drivers should not be allowed to drive other people to shops and legitimately use their blue badge whilst there?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
How would you know that it was the driver that holds the badge as they are not displayed with the photo showing? Not all disabilities are visable.
I personally know somebody who does this - wife who is a carer for her husband, parks in a disabled bay, goes into the shop while he stays in the car.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Language can easily offend without intending to. I don't have any stats as to who is doing what in disabled parking bays, be careful not to fall into the blame game trap and finger point. It is not required in this thread.

The OP was curious as to parking overnight in a disabled bay out on the street, rather than parking a motorhome in a supermarket disabled bay. I have seen a nice spot at the sea front and it looks good for overnight parking. It is a designated disabled bay. Morally, is it okay to park in the bay overnight?

There are plenty of websites available giving information about the the use of the blue badge. Google it.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
I fully support the blue badge parking options, but I don’t like it when the badge holder appears to be the driver who then stays in the vehicle while able bodied passengers go shopping from closer to the door 🤔
Why? That trip out might well be the only way that person can leave their home, enjoy any sense of normality with their partner ? Lock downs taught us all that being stuck at home 24/7 is not very good for our mental health. If their only way to relieve that is by sitting in a car they’re entitled to hold a blue badge for then why are you suggesting they shouldn’t. This has the same argument as … you don’t look disabled ! Which is short sighted . Try to consider why a blue badge hold might well need to stay in the car

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why? That trip out might well be the only way that person can leave their home, enjoy any sense of normality with their partner ? Lock downs taught us all that being stuck at home 24/7 is not very good for our mental health. If their only way to relieve that is by sitting in a car they’re entitled to hold a blue badge for then why are you suggesting they shouldn’t. This has the same argument as … you don’t look disabled ! Which is short sighted . Try to consider why a blue badge hold might well need to stay in the car

I maybe didn’t name my point clearly, I think a disabled driver sitting in their car in a disabled spot while an able bodied passenger shops is selfish. Why not park in a normal space and leave the bay to be used as designed if they don’t intend getting out, allowing a disabled person easier access to the shop they are parked outside

I have just realised an obvious flaw in my grievance and will in future presume that the passenger is also disabled and the bay is being correctly used 👍

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Parents should make the kids walk, they would be healthier,

But trying to manage several under 5s in a busy car park..... putting one or two babies in a buggy and holding on to the others whist doing so is not really that realistic is it?

The parent and child s[aces are for adults with YOUNG children.

Also some children are unable to walk due to disability.

When I had my blue badge (admittedly some years ago) the main criteria was the distance one could walk unaided. Of course that may have changed and could vary from council to council - I don't know.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I need an "agree" button.

Also the people who "borrow" blue badges!!! I had to be very firm with my Mum when she wanted me to use hers when it would have been illegal (or at least inconsiderate) for me to do so.

When I took Mum and Dad to a medical appointment there were no disabled spaces so I stopped (safely) as near to the entry ramp as I could, put Dad into his wheelchair and got Mum pushing him (she can use the chair as a walker). I then moved the car and parked in a normal space with blue badge on show. I asked the traffic warden (on his rounds) if I needed a ticket, he said not. I pointed out my car and my Mum and Dad on their way down the ramp. He made haste to check the cars in the disabled spaces and started to write tickets and take photos. Plenty of space when I moved the car to pick Mum and Dad from the top of the ramp :).

I have sympathy with parents and young children as they also need extra space and to be near an entrance.
disabled spaces I would never dream of parking in, mother and child fair game at certain times like when kids should be in bed. even better a supermarket near me had some for pregnant women , at the time my daughter was pregnant looked ay me and said don't even consider it!! It is the only place I have seen them . I avoid shopping when the stores are full of kids so I refused to be disadvantaged by people who choose to breed when their brood should be tucked up in bed .
Excuse whilst I put my armour on :rofl: :rofl:

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Here is the eligibility list:-

You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you are aged 3 or over and at least one of the following applies:

• you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • you receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
  • you are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
  • you receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • you have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
  • you receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress

You may be eligible for a badge if one or more of the following applies:

• you cannot walk at all
  • you cannot walk without help from someone else or using mobility aids
  • you find walking very difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes
  • walking is dangerous to your health and safety
  • you have a terminal illness, which means you cannot walk or find walking very difficult and have a DS1500 form
  • you have a severe disability in both arms and drive regularly, but cannot operate pay-and-display parking machines
  • you have a child under the age of 3 with a medical condition that means the child always needs to be accompanied by bulky medical equipment
  • you have a child under the age of 3 with a medical condition that means the child must always be kept near a vehicle in case they need emergency medical treatment
  • you are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
  • you struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
  • you find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
  • you regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
  • you frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
Your local council will decide if you are eligible for a badge. They cannot start the assessment process until they have all the necessary evidence. It may take 12 weeks or longer to assess your application. If they decide that you are not eligible and you think that they did not take account of all the facts, you can ask them to consider your application again.

As you can see from above mental health conditions now apply (not all disabilities are visible)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
.mother and child fair game at certain times like when kids should be in bed.

One of our grandsons has severe autism and being able to take him shopping at 2 am rather than during the day is brilliant as there is less noise etc to overwhelm him and cause a melt down. We have been told by people not in the know that he should be in bed at that time but he sleeps very little and even if we do get him to sleep during the night he is usually up every couple of hours and then up for good very early - 5 am is a lie in!

Even better as far as he is concerned is that if he manages the supermarket we can go through the all night auto car wash which always calms him down.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Here is the eligibility list:-

You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you are aged 3 or over and at least one of the following applies:

• you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • you receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
  • you are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
  • you receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • you have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
  • you receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress

You may be eligible for a badge if one or more of the following applies:

• you cannot walk at all
  • you cannot walk without help from someone else or using mobility aids
  • you find walking very difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes
  • walking is dangerous to your health and safety
  • you have a terminal illness, which means you cannot walk or find walking very difficult and have a DS1500 form
  • you have a severe disability in both arms and drive regularly, but cannot operate pay-and-display parking machines
  • you have a child under the age of 3 with a medical condition that means the child always needs to be accompanied by bulky medical equipment
  • you have a child under the age of 3 with a medical condition that means the child must always be kept near a vehicle in case they need emergency medical treatment
  • you are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
  • you struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
  • you find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
  • you regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
  • you frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
Your local council will decide if you are eligible for a badge. They cannot start the assessment process until they have all the necessary evidence. It may take 12 weeks or longer to assess your application. If they decide that you are not eligible and you think that they did not take account of all the facts, you can ask them to consider your application again.

As you can see from above mental health conditions now apply (not all disabilities are visible)
One of the most ridicules things I ever heard was a school friend when she could drive , an amazing achievement, was refused the badge as she was able to walk, no consideration was made that she was a thalidomide victim and had no arms so carrying was difficult. I am pleased the rules have been changed however they are also now far easier to abuse. Disabled parking bays are there to make life easier for those who need them. Not for a a long term often free overnight with a nice view, if you are asleep do you need to park in a bay which is reserved? I am in the position to be lucky not to need the help, to my mother on bad days it was very helpful, on good days even with her badge she used regular parking, my father refused when the doctor informed him he was entitled but they both reaped the benefits of free travel over the Severn Bridge in their campervan before the tolls were lifted.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
One of our grandsons has severe autism and being able to take him shopping at 2 am rather than during the day is brilliant as there is less noise etc to overwhelm him and cause a melt down. We have been told by people not in the know that he should be in bed at that time but he sleeps very little and even if we do get him to sleep during the night he is usually up every couple of hours and then up for good very early - 5 am is a lie in!

Even better as far as he is concerned is that if he manages the supermarket we can go through the all night auto car wash which always calms him down.
I understand I often meet regular special kids in the evening but the need for all the parking spaces reserved for kids is reduced. One little boy Michael has his 09.00pm routine to the local supermarket I think it is a Thursday I tend to meet him , he cannot rest until he has tidied the shelves, personally I think they should be paying him he does such a good job. I am not sure how he manages when they change the stock over especially at this time of year. However, surely these children are entitled to the blue badge? If not it shows how the system is lacking it is something I have never considered because is Autism recognised within the Blue badge regulation. Strangely I was having a chat with colleague this week about his son who never stops and his energy levels, and it made me think about how many people I know who have autistic children in a particular job role. Your post has brought this thought back to the forefront of my mind. One showing photos of his son , a beautiful little boy with the face of an angel, his father said don't you believe it, he can be a little ..............and then with great pride went on telling me about his sons achievements his favourite calming tool is leggo he will play with it for hours

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not sure what can of worms you think has been opened, are you saying disabled drivers should not be allowed to drive other people to shops and legitimately use their blue badge whilst there?
I think if the disabled driver is staying in the car and the people they are dropping off aren't disabled it would be very inconsiderate to take a disabled bay when someone else might need it who is going to leave their car.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
That is what it says in the information that comes with the blue badge, if the disable person is not getting out of the vehicle then it should not be used.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
That is what it says in the information that comes with the blue badge, if the disable person is not getting out of the vehicle then it should not be used.
No it doesn't it says "You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car" if they are shopping for the disabled person it is allowed.

And this applies only to public parking areas e.g. disabled parking spaces on the highway. It does not apply to supermarket disabled parking spaces as they can set their own rules.

I often do this leaving my disabled daughter in her wheelchair in the car (accompanied) whilst I shop, ever tried pushing a wheelchair and a shopping trolley at the same time................

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I often do this leaving my disabled daughter in her wheelchair in the car (accompanied) whilst I shop, ever tried pushing a wheelchair and a shopping trolley at the same time................
Yes, nightmare. Especially when every item has to be examined in minute detail before being rejected and then at the end of the aisle "Oh, actually it is probably okay"

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Yes, nightmare. Especially when every item has to be examined in minute detail before being rejected and then at the end of the aisle "Oh, actually it is probably okay"
My daughter is non verbal and cannot express verbally what she does not like, she just takes of the trolley if she can reach and throws it....... She also finds it amusing to pull items from shelves and throw them to the floor, this means I have to keep out of reach of the shelves, display hangers etc. Lots of shops pack their merchandise so tight I cannot keep her away from them, perhaps I should buy a straight jacket.

crazy-woman-wearing-a-straight-jacket-in-an-asylum-picture-id173197880

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Many years ago I had a manager who was a real character. He was a bit like marmite as far as the staff were concerned but I loved working with him even during his more "difficult" periods.

Anyway his wife had a very serious accident and was in hospital for some time so he was left to do the shopping - and the only food shop he was aware of was M&S (!!) Anyway at the end of the week he asked his secretary if it was normal to get to the checkout and find things in the trolley he had not put in there and to find items he knew he had put in were no longer there.

After a lot of laughter the staff managed to get a rota whereby one of us would shop for him as required. I always thought it was a deliberate ploy on his part :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It isn't in the spirit of the usage,nor to my knowledge is it legally allowed. There is no reason why the able bodied can't park elsewhere? Additionally if they by anything whatsoever for themselves it is not allowed.
I personally know somebody who does this - wife who is a carer for her husband, parks in a disabled bay, goes into the shop while he stays in the car.
Why doesn't he drop her near the entrance then park elsewhere? sing a bay for disabled when you aren't getting out isn't on.
No it doesn't it says "You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car" if they are shopping for the disabled person it is allowed.
No they are taking advantage. If the disabled person is not gettig out then the space should not be used. It doesn't matter where you park for the person doing the shopping if they aren't disabled. Being the carer does not give them any rights for using disabled bays.

It would never occur to me to even consider using a disabled bay, unless I was getting the disabled person out of the vehicle, when it is sensible to be as close as possible.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
It isn't in the spirit of the usage,nor to my knowledge is it legally allowed. There is no reason why the able bodied can't park elsewhere? Additionally if they by anything whatsoever for themselves it is not allowed.

Why doesn't he drop her near the entrance then park elsewhere? sing a bay for disabled when you aren't getting out isn't on.

No they are taking advantage. If the disabled person is not gettig out then the space should not be used. It doesn't matter where you park for the person doing the shopping if they aren't disabled. Being the carer does not give them any rights for using disabled bays.

It would never occur to me to even consider using a disabled bay, unless I was getting the disabled person out of the vehicle, when it is sensible to be as close as possible.

I see you live in Spain where the UK blue badge is not valid not sure why you are so upset by UK disabled drivers/passengers and use of the blue badge. The regulations quote "The badge is for your use and benefit only. It must only be displayed if you are traveling in the vehicle as a driver or passenger, or if someone is collecting you or dropping you off and needs to park at the place where you are being collected or dropped." How do you know this is not what is happening?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
But trying to manage several under 5s in a busy car park..... putting one or two babies in a buggy and holding on to the others whist doing so is not really that realistic is it?

The parent and child s[aces are for adults with YOUNG children.

Also some children are unable to walk due to disability.

When I had my blue badge (admittedly some years ago) the main criteria was the distance one could walk unaided. Of course that may have changed and could vary from council to council - I don't know.
The rules have change. There are many reasons why badges are issued including mental health disorders such as ADHD etc.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks

That’s the whole point isn’t it. Some disabilities are not visible and people should not judge by only what they see. In fact they shouldn’t judge at all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back