Different coloured EHU cables.. (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Indeed... electromagnetic induction.

No, electromagnetic induction is nothing to do with it.

The mains cable on a drum has two current-carrying wires: the flow and return currents are exactly equal and opposite, so any magnetic fields will cancel each other out completely.

This is purely to do with the resistive losses dissipated in the cable, producing heat.

Manufacturers specify cable current capacity according to the environment the cable is in. Usually the 'free air' current is quoted, and others ignored. However there are specs for a cables in a conduit occupying over 50% of the space, or buried in plaster, or surrounded by thermal insulation, and these indicate a very much reduced current.

For cable coiled on a drum the 'free air' spec is not appropriate. You should use one of the reduced values.

A cable on a drum would be fine for keeping the batteries trickle-charged in storage, or even running a fridge (about 1 amp max) but anything more and you need to start doing calculations or unwinding the drum.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi Paul,
Hope you are well.
I have a yellow cable which I have used at certain club site without issue but did I get told off for connecting 2 cables together. I mostly use an orange 10 m or 25m now which covers most scenarios in UK.
Obviously abroad the rules are no existent and anything seems to go...
Nige
All good here Nige apart from the vans in to have a leak in the roof repared (under warranty thankfully). Can't believe that a Swift leaks :Eeek::swear2:. Are you heading abroad later this year? Heading to Spain and Portugal via Bilbao end of September (y). Pass my regars to Mrs Milliemobile, hope to catch up soon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Perfectly safe to join 2 cables but standard plugs and sockets are IP44 so only slash proof, keep it away from puddles.

The things manufacturers have to make EHU cable resistant to, these days ......

Presumably if there's no WC on site, though, we do need them to do that !

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
All good here Nige apart from the vans in to have a leak in the roof repared (under warranty thankfully). Can't believe that a Swift leaks :Eeek::swear2:. Are you heading abroad later this year? Heading to Spain and Portugal via Bilbao end of September (y). Pass my regars to Mrs Milliemobile, hope to catch up soon
we are also off to Spain/Portugal in late September not planned trip yet though. Go via chunnel through France with the dogs

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
More important is you unwind your cable completely, do not leave it coiled up, unless you want a melted mess.

Whilst I accept the convention on building sites is to use yellow flex if far more importance is that the yellow plugs are for 110 & blue for 240 V ac.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back