Did you buy a van off eBay from a Hire Company in Cambridgeshire? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Maluisarot, i hope you sort it,so you can sleep at night,it looks like you have a young family too, my sympathy goes out to you, what should be a happy adventure is turned into a nightmare,if youve bought your van on finance you might have help from your finance company,as they have departments thar deal with this sort of thing, i know black horse (i used once to buy a van ) were very helpfull, best of luck 🤞🤞pampam🤓

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
I think some of their vans were sold legally so you may be ok if you haven't heard from a solicitor by now as they seem to have been tracking down 'illegal' owners relatively quickly. Fingers crossed you haven't bought it from someone who's been contacted by a solicitor and decided to sell on themselves to recoup their money. If you've any legal cover on a motor or home insurance policy you might want to give them a call also to see what your options are, they might also be better placed to advise if there's somewhere you can check if a chattel mortgage is outstanding rather than ploughing individually through all those lodged by them at CH.

Maluisarot

Free Member
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 25
Thanks Pampam and Ian.

Unfortunately we scrimped and saved and bought the unit outright, we bought it privately from someone so no credit protection.

It was from someone who only had it for just over a year and stored it away from their home, maybe because they didn't have room on their drive like they said, or maybe they were hiding it from being recovered?

I've managed to find a settled chattel mortgage but after hearing the BBC report, some investors have found their money was used to secure "used" MHs and some even had more than one mortgage applied, so they only way I'm going to know is if I go through every single one.

A caution to anyone else searching for their VIN on companies House, I thought was making fast progress until I realised that, although the older entries can be searched using "Ctrl. F", anything newer than around 2015 the PDF has to be scrolled through you have to look for your VIN number without the aid of any search facility

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Jim these folk at Bourn are just a few miles away from me. We used to see adverts and get flyers through the letterbox promising fantastic returns if we invest in motorhome s for them to rent out. Haha! Fortunately I’ve always followed the maxim “ If it looks too good to be true it’s because it probably is “.

Are chattels mortgages mentioned in your Buyers Guide? I’m too lazy to look. Although it’s a rare occurrence,you might think it’s a good thing to include a mention.(y)

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Thanks Pampam and Ian.

Unfortunately we scrimped and saved and bought the unit outright, we bought it privately from someone so no credit protection.

It was from someone who only had it for just over a year and stored it away from their home, maybe because they didn't have room on their drive like they said, or maybe they were hiding it from being recovered?

I've managed to find a settled chattel mortgage but after hearing the BBC report, some investors have found their money was used to secure "used" MHs and some even had more than one mortgage applied, so they only way I'm going to know is if I go through every single one.

A caution to anyone else searching for their VIN on companies House, I thought was making fast progress until I realised that, although the older entries can be searched using "Ctrl. F", anything newer than around 2015 the PDF has to be scrolled through you have to look for your VIN number without the aid of any search facility
If you found settled mortgage - think from memory there were at least 300 cleared - hopefully that’s an end of it ie. if money was then used against another MH in the investors behalf then it’s whatever happened to that MH the investor would want to know as per the conditions of their investment. In this case no news is good news. I know it’s easier to suggest than do but on the basis there’s not a lot you can do right now I’d stop worrying until I heard differently and go enjoy my MH as soon as all these restrictions lift. Fingers crossed your one of the lucky ones, I haven’t heard anywhere how things have ended for any of those being chased re ownership.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Can someone please clarify whether this is a specific problem only with ex-rental mohos? I'm a bit confused with all this discussion of investors and so on. Presumably, this is a pretty rare occurrence?

I hope it all works out OK for those who may be vicitims.

Maluisarot

Free Member
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 25
Thanks Ian, can't wait to get out in it. Currently sat with a needle and thread re-stitching one of the seat covers making sure we're fully ready to go out when we can (y)

Acropolis, there's two victims here. A company called Unbeatable Hire (who had several diffent names, I've seen a full list somewhere on here) invited people who wanted to buy a new motorhome to instead invest the money in the company on the promise the motorhome would have a chattel mortgage in their name along with a return on bookings, 10% interest and they'd get to use it a few weeks a year and they wouldn't have the hassle of storing it, taxing it, insuring or maintaining it (almost sounds too good to be true).

However, the fraud artists running the company sold on these motorhomes without declaring they didn't technically own it, the people listed on the chattel mortgages do. The VIN is listed on the mortgage also. They never mentioned the mortgages and, as they don't show up on HPI, people bought them in good faith.

The investors knew nothing about this until the company went bust last year. When the investors stopped getting their interest and booking payments they wanted to collect their motorhomes only to find out they'd been sold! Were talking investments in the region of ÂŁ70k (that was supposed to be for a brand new MH but has turned out they got assigned just gone so I can sympathise with their loss and understand why they'd like what they see as "their" vehicles back.

However, the new owners who also paid fair market value of ÂŁ20/30/40/50k for the vehicle are now having them taken off them by those listed on the mortgage by complete surprise.

It's turned into a battle between the two sets of victims. Meanwhile the crooks that ran this business have already set up another one offering exactly the same scheme and, as far as anyone can tell, have kept the money from the investors and from the people they sold the MHs to yet nobody seems to be able to go after them!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I think anyone who knows addresses or info on people who have been ripping people off should share it somwhere else than on this open forum .
Jim as the the owner is the publisher of anything said on here so we have to have his back , just saying . (y)

PM each other ?

Last edited:

Maluisarot

Free Member
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 25
That's fair to point out wigster. I don't know any names or have any more info than I heard on radio 4 though. Well worth a listen to if you haven't had chance to, Winifred asked him some interesting questions

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I am not as understanding and oh well i have to give the van i paid in good faith for back to some person who says they own it type.
I would go about being reinbursed if van was taken in a less public way .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
ÄŽirectors of Vaaroom Ltd from Companies House website

View attachment 456401
I’m trying to figure out that address. My old Employers and offices were SGS “next door” at 859 London Road. Across the road was a commercial Estate agent type of place, so I guess that this is some sort of accommodation address.

Edit - now I see, having seen the Wikipedia entry below. Wyldecrest caravan parks. Some interesting reviews and a lot of obviously fake ones on Glassdoor. A bit like my most recent employers - a load of awful reviews and suddenly glowing ones written at the request of the owner (I know, because my mate was asked to write one and refused)

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If you are interested, check out the articles written in Private Eye about Mr.Best and his Park Home activities and business practices.
Has been reported on for many a year!
Just for info. Thank you.
Yes, I got a flavour of that..... the bell was rung and now I remember. Looks like that pair deserve each other

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
I think anyone who knows addresses or info on people who have been ripping people off should share it somwhere else than on this open forum .
Jim as the the owner is the publisher of anything said on here so we have to have his back , just saying . (y)

PM each other ?
Addresses and names of the people concerned freely available ion the documentation lodged with companies house, just look up Unbeatable Hire Ltd

Jonsmith55

Free Member
May 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Hi new member here.
I'm bidding on a Chausson motorhome on ebay that ends tonight and found this thread re chattel morgages.
I know the seller is based in Cambridgeshire and they seem to be refusing to share the motorhomes registration number plate number.. Suspicious??

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi new member here.
I'm bidding on a Chausson motorhome on ebay that ends tonight and found this thread re chattel morgages.
I know the seller is based in Cambridgeshire and they seem to be refusing to share the motorhomes registration number plate number.. Suspicious??
Yes, have you seen the van anyone buying a van by bidding without seeing it must be asking for horrendous trouble, even if it’s cheap

you need the registration to check MOT history too.

Mar 21, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
If you must bid then bid for their swim shorts instead - even if they don’t fit there’ll be more beneficial than the headache and regrets of the motorhome !

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hacked Ebay account? The pick up for the van is the other side of the country to the other items for sale ???
Mike

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi new member here.

<Broken link removed>
Walk away. Walk away fast.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Do not buy it. As already said, without a number, you can’t check it’s MOT history, nor do an HPI check. :gum:

Jonsmith55

Free Member
May 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Hacked Ebay account? The pick up for the van is the other side of the country to the other items for sale ???
Mike
The motorhome is located at the Vaaroom Bristol Depot, It was arranged that I was going to veiw this weekend until I realised it was a Bank Holiday.

But it was Vaaroom that bought out the company that went bust that had these chattel morgages.

Jonsmith55

Free Member
May 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
I can still bid, put a PayPal deposit of 100ÂŁ (secured by PayPal)
Go see the vehicle, get VIN and reg, get solicitor to do a search for chattel morgage..
Perhaps?

Jonsmith55

Free Member
May 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
You seem to be implying that I'm so stupid to pay 25k for a vehicle without knowing its history 🤦‍♂️

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
The motorhome is located at the Vaaroom Bristol Depot, It was arranged that I was going to veiw this weekend until I realised it was a Bank Holiday.

But it was Vaaroom that bought out the company that went bust that had these chattel morgages.
Don’t part with any money whatsoever.

Doesn’t stop you asking a few direct questions though, like can you prove there is no outstanding finance or a Chattel Mortgage on it? ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back