Devastating news (2 Viewers)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Just heard on the news that the Spanish police are speculating that maybe Esther could be intentionally wanting to disappear? Just thought of their wild speculations regarding the McCanns.
Really hope Esther is safe somewhere.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Getting stranger by the day ,only yesterday we had a post that everything had got to be done through one company, now today we have two different versions from the mail and the police and no mention of this other firm.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Sure I posted here, anyway has her van been found?

Strange how she’s disappeared like this, hope she’s ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Getting stranger by the day ,only yesterday we had a post that everything had got to be done through one company, now today we have two different versions from the mail and the police and no mention of this other firm.
Without looking to check but I think the LBT people said Dan would be making a posting on their Facebook site next week.

I'll copy it to here when it comes on.

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Without looking to check but I think the LBT people said Dan would be making a posting on their Facebook site next week.

I'll copy it to here when it comes on.
A quick look shows this: LBT Global is managing all media on the Esther DINGLEY case. A statement from Daniel Colegate will be released through this office next week.

I presume from that that they will post on their website but will surely copy it to Facebook where a lot of their friends are waiting for news.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
nteresting that my wife had an interview with a reporter from the Guardian this afternoon for an article they are planning. They wanted to know about the friendship with Esther and my better half. Will be interesting to read and see how close it is to what was actually said.
I can answer that; after a lifetime in communications my experience is that whenever you read something in the media you are familiar with, the report is always spun or misrepresented in some way.

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I can answer that; after a lifetime in communications my experience is that whenever you read something in the media you are familiar with, the report is always spun or misrepresented in some way.
Well in this case my wife's words were as said but no idea on the rest of the article.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Send three and four pence we're going to advance.

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
LBT have just posted a very long piece on E & D's Facebook page.

I can't find a link to it on their website so I am copying it here. Sorry it is so long.

“We just want her back…” – Esther Dingley’s mum and partner speak out
The mother and partner of Esther Dingley, 37, missing in the Pyrenees since November 22nd, today speak out after days of speculation across media and social sites.
Both are being supported by LBT Global, formally the Lucie Blackman Trust, which supports British nationals in crisis overseas.
Daniel Colegate, Esther’s partner of 19 years, and her mother Ria wanted to speak out to tell the world about Esther. Ria says,
“It is utterly out of character for her to be out of contact for this length of time and we are missing her desperately. Esther values family above everything and on all her trips we are always in regular contact, sharing the day to day small details of life. We communicated several times every day.”
The pair have been deeply upset at suggestions that Esther may have simply gone off in search of a ‘new life’. Daniel says:
“We spoke every day, the time apart worked as we expected, and we were very joyful when we spoke. We were missing each other. The hike she went missing on was to be her last hike before driving back. Our last conversation was totally loving and all smiles. She was so happy, and we were excited to see each other.
“Why the police who spoke to a journalist implied “things weren’t as happy as they looked” baffles me. I have never spoken to the person quoted. All the police I have spoken to just nodded and said things like “totally normal then…”
Reports of Mr Colegate being ‘quizzed’ several times by police have also upset him:
“During the first six days I spoke every day with both police search teams to coordinate my own hiking activities and get updates. When it became a criminal case, I was then interviewed the by the Spanish criminal investigation team on Wednesday 2nd December.
“The French criminal investigation team visited me at the house on Monday 7th December. I have not been ‘quizzed’ three times. I have given a statement to all the various different units involved in this case, including conversations with UK police.
“I think people imagine there is one set of police who keep hauling me in to go over my statement again like on TV. In reality, there are just lots of different people who need to go through the motions. I have cooperated fully with each one, going through my electronic data, social media, providing bank details, passwords etc. My only goal is to help them do what they need to do as quickly as possible.”
Esther’s Mum, Ria, says her daughter openly discussed her plans and decisions with her:
“Esther is an open book. She openly shared some of the difficult decisions that she and Dan would be facing soon, primarily linked to Brexit and the impact that would have on their itinerant lifestyle, but that didn't dampen her joy for the life they both were living.”
Daniel says that contrary to some reports, they are a normal couple:
“We’ve been together for almost 19 years – a couple since February 2002. I find it frustrating to be known as “the boyfriend”. We only did not get married because I was too sick due to the same illness that catalysed our nomadic lifestyle. We had to cancel our wedding in February 2014 because I had only just got out of hospital and could not walk. 2 months later we started travelling. We are soulmates. Once on the road, having a wedding certificate no longer seemed important.
“This summer we did a 1000-mile hike together and we always planned to spend 2 weeks doing our own thing afterwards, because we knew it was good for us as individuals and for our relationship. We had just spent 80 days in the wilderness with just each other for company. I wanted to relax in a house due to my health issues, Esther wanted to take advantage of the mild autumn and do some more outdoor things.
“That was why she went touring solo; it was pre-planned and agreed upon. It was a non-event for us. We had done it before.
“She only crossed into Spain because the French announced a new lockdown a few days after she set off. Then, because the weather was so mild and she was having fun, she kept extending the trip by a few days at time. If she had come home, she would have been tied to the house as I was. Our conversations essentially boiled down to “I miss you but I’m also glad you’re having a good time”. And she knew I was happy resting in a house.”
Esther is an experienced mountain hiker. Mr Colegate is keen to point out her experience:
“Esther was not on a “month long hike” or “month long solo trip”. Her trip was ad hoc, consisting of day walks, days in the motorhome and several multiday walks. She always let me know when she was setting off and when she expected to be back.
“In this case, she spent Nov 20th in the motorhome and set out on Nov 21st. The “mystery man” who gave her a lift back to the motorhome on the 19th (after her previous hiking trip) spoke to the police already.
“Esther’s a very experienced hiker. The terrain she was on is not difficult. The weather was excellent. It does not mean she hasn’t had an accident; I just consider it unlikely. Reference to falling into the lakes, which was a story for a day, is also possible, but also highly unlikely. The paths near the lakes are wide and easy. You do not just fall ten metres sideways into a lake.
“There seems to be a perception that because it’s the mountains, because it’s nearly winter and because Esther was alone, that what she was doing was reckless and “of course” she has had an accident”.
“The situation on the ground is that the conditions were perfect, Esther had all the equipment to look after herself, and from the peak we last spoke on, she could be at a road in either France or Spain within 90 minutes – 2 hours. She was not lost in the Amazon rainforest. These are trails that families walk in summer.
"Esther specified her route from the summit we spoke on. She had two hours of daylight to reach a refuge winter room, a distance that would have taken her less than an hour. From my own visits I know she wouldn't have had a
phone signal again on Sunday afternoon/evening, but she would have had a signal very soon after setting off the next day. Because Esther is so particular about sending updates to family, if Esther did have an accident it must have been in that very small area, an area that was pored over daily until the heavy snow arrived."
Much has been made of reports of a light seen in the motorhome. LBT Global has had it confirmed this was due to police activity.
Both Mr Colegate and Ria are desperate to have her home safely. Ria says:
“We are utterly distraught not knowing where Esther is or what has happened to her and would implore anyone who may know anything, however seemingly insignificant, to come forward with that information. We are desperate to see our beloved girl again so thank you for anything you can do to help us find her”.
LBT Global has set up a hotline for information and an email address is available. There have been reports that people are worried about coming forward due to their committing a breach of lockdown rules. Chief Executive Matthew Searle MBE says:
“We are not interested in any rule breaking. If you have information please do pass it to us, anonymously if you wish, and it will be passed to investigators. Whether somebody has stepped over a border or not is immaterial, what matters is that every bit of information that could bring Esther home is provided.”
Mr Searle urges a swift end to speculation:
“There is a huge amount of interest in this case and we have had hundreds of enquiries. Our priority is supporting Esther’s loved ones through this traumatic time and it is clear they are deeply upset at some of the speculation. Please rely on facts, and please stop forensically examining Esther’s personal life on social groups. The public do not have an automatic right to know everything about her life – just that information that can help bring her home. Making assumptions and spreading unconfirmed assumptions is unhelpful and unfair, as well as deeply upsetting for those closest to Esther.”

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
All I can say is I hope Esther is safe and well and Dan and the family have my warmest wishes and hopes.

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I have read that French and Spanish police are going to have a summit to discuss Esther's disappearance.

I sadly doubt that they have any new ideas.

Esther comes into our thoughts so often during the day. We had never met her or Dan in the flesh but regularly by email when my other half was doing the illustrations for them.

As a result it feels like we were old friends.

I can't imagine how Dan and family are feeling and made a whole lot worse with it being this time of the year.

I'm not a particularly religious person but my own form of prayer goes out to all involved in this tragedy.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We DID meet them in person and cannot imagine that such an intelligent and sensible couple would “split” without a calm discussion, arriving at a mutually agreed, sensitive and amicable outcome...
Lots of love Dan and family...
Keep hoping.
Mitch.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't do gossip and really dislike it. When out the other day, I heard a couple of women talking about this case, suggesting the partner killed her and disposed of the body, before contacting the authorities to say that she was missing. Not a pleasant thought, and I pointed this out to the women in question, as no evidence and that sort of suspicion is as toxic to those concerned as losing a partner in tragic circumstances

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I don't do gossip and really dislike it. When out the other day, I heard a couple of women talking about this case, suggesting the partner killed her and disposed of the body, before contacting the authorities to say that she was missing. Not a pleasant thought, and I pointed this out to the women in question, as no evidence and that sort of suspicion is as toxic to those concerned as losing a partner in tragic circumstances
I gave you a Nice One but that's for you telling the women how disgusting their conversation was not for the women concerned.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I gave you a Nice One but that's for you telling the women how disgusting their conversation was not for the women concerned.
Same here John. Those women need to look closely at their partners.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Same here John. Those women need to look closely at their partners.
Supposedly church going Godly types, they should know better, but typical to hear nasty gossip from them and their friends. It just didn't register in their minds that their nasty suspicious minds could be hurtful. They were ashamed immediately, but I bet they carry on gossiping, it's in their DNA sadly

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a strange thing all round, doesn't seem to fit any established missing person details .
Just hope the running off to a new life is the right story, far better than the alternatives. :(

Reactions: 68c
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Anyone got any news ??
Feynman ??
Mitch.
Nothing that I have seen anywhere. Must have been the worst Christmas possible for Dan and the family.

I try and think positive but the chances of good news for me has become pretty well impossible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back