Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
As I have said on some of my recent posts on here we have put a deposit down on our first motorhome but I was noticed in this months MMM monthly magazine that on some of the ads state that the motorhomes come with a weigh bridge certificate and recent damp test so I contacted the dealer and asked if mine would come with these? And they have said no? The chassis weight is 4 tonne and that a damp test will be carried out? But every year I have my caravan serviced I get a damp report surely this would be the same for a motorhome??? I would be interested in your views before contact them back

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the dealer will definitely of run a damp test when buying the van into stock, simply insist that a copy is included before you make final payment on collection

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Never had a weighbridge certificate apart from one but when we weighed it ourselves it was heavier.
As far as I expect any van I buy from a dealer should have a habitation check before I buy which should include a damp check. However being a non trusting person I check the damp myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You should insist on a habitation report and a damp check, if you don't get them before you buy the van take your own damp meter and do a check yourself. Then snag the van all over, every hinge, lock, cupboard, door, electrics gas etc etc. Then if your happy pay the balance.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never had a weighbridge certificate apart from one but when we weighed it ourselves it was heavier.
As far as I expect any van I buy from a dealer should have a habitation check before I buy which should include a damp check. However being a non trusting person I check the damp myself.

I insisted on a hab check when we purchased in the summer. I wish I had also tested it myself as we have found damp below air ducting running under a cupboard. I'd say this was most definitely missed on their damp check.

So yes, take a meter and double check.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Why don’t you ask the dealer to get it taken down the weigh bridge as part of your deal?? And if they won’t do it don’t buy the van?
I did exactly that and while surprised the dealer (BCS Manchester) thought it was a brilliant idea. He said that he had no information about weights on any of his stock apart from their max weights.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
So a dealer does his own damp check and tells you it’s all fantastic, so then you are happy to buy the van?

I wouldn’t, I would want my own hab check, or to check it over myself. I wouldn’t trust the person/company selling it.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The three dealers we have bought from all provided weighbridge certificates - two when asked and one unasked. The unasked ticket also had a note saying the van was empty, all water tanks at zero and minimal fuel and weighed without driver.

A hab check report should be issued but you would probably be best to get an independent one done as well. Taking a damp meter and checking around windows and various spots at the top of walls and inside cupboards is a good idea.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Camperuk Lincoln, I have since contacted them and they have now told me that they do a full damp check and it is held on there internal PDI system but they will give me a hard copy of the service report but they dont provide a weigh bridge ticket? As he said it's a 4000kg chassis so our payload will be fine? I am probably being a bit anal but we are new to this only ever owned caravans.

Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I'm due to have my "final" warranty damp test this year... At the purchasing dealer's premises...

Last year's test was "all dry".... Which surprised me... Prior tests had shown issues - mostly on locker doors... And the service locker being reskinned - as they'd sent the wrong door....

My scepticism is tempting me to go armed with a recent independent damp check.... When I visit this year..

Just for peace of mind...

Upvote 0
May 10, 2019
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E-Line
I would defiantly want a weighbridge check, not necessarily a certificate (but most will issue one) as I have found myself trusting figures which were highly misleading. Once you know the weight of the vehicle (with extras) you can work with the quoted GVW and (using a luggage scale) for your additional contents, have a good idea of your total weight. We run with an estimate of 10% fresh water (1kg per litre) two gas bottles (with contents) and a full diesel fuel tank.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Why would you gamble £******** (***?)on the say so of a dealer? You don't buy a house. or I hope you don't buy a house without a surveyor's report do you? So why gamble your hard earned dosh on a dealers say so? Give him the option of A. You pay for an independent report re damp and if its satisfactory you stand the cost or B. If its rubbish he pays you get the cost of your survey back and he loses the sale( and you let everyone else know! It can only be a win win, yes you pay for a successful survey but the piece of mind is worth it and if they don't want to play ball you have your answer at no cost! Simples

Upvote 0
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Hi AC/DC
as a Chartered Surveyor I can tell you that many/ most people buy a house without a surveyor’s report!
At the best many rely on a mortgage valuation. I have known people reject a report and commission a second because they didn’t like what the first report said. Not because it was wrong but they didn’t want to be told some home truths!

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Best thing to do if You are looking to buy a van is thoroughly check it over. Lift the cushions open the lockers and press the inside walls to see if they are soft. look for peeling paper, black dots, mould, staining etc. If it smells of damp it probably will have some damp. Research the van that You are considering buying. Check similar vans online. If things are different there may have been a repair carried out. A 'protimeter' damp meter is the diagnostic tool that a Habitation Technician like Myself uses. It gives readings of moisture content. I've seen lots of damp vans and lots of totally dry vans. Minor damp issues can mostly be easily and cheaply rectified. If You buy using 'finance' instead of cash it will be easier to reject the van purchased if damp is found after picking up the van.

Upvote 0

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are trying to get a damp test report out of our dealer but it's a bit like getting blood out of a stone. ?

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I insisted on a damp report before l bought the van l now own and everything was perfect, so it said.
First time away in it rain water was running down the inside under a window seal :cautious: :cautious:which reminds me.
Did l say that l would never buy anything from CAMPBELLS OF PRESTON.(y)

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2008
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 625
Exp
7 YEARS
Given the size of the £££'s investment. If I had any doubts I would arrange for an independent pre-purchase inspection (which will include a damp report) Check out the AWS website (cost circa £200) . If no faults found it's peace of mind for you. If minor problems found insist dealer fixes etc. If they say no, just walk away. Either way money well spent. Once had a dealer refuse point blank for me to arrange a pre-purchase inspection, I just walked away. A good dealer will not have an issue. Weight cert, just tell dealer it's a condition of purchase.

Upvote 0

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
As I have said on some of my recent posts on here we have put a deposit down on our first motorhome but I was noticed in this months MMM monthly magazine that on some of the ads state that the motorhomes come with a weigh bridge certificate and recent damp test so I contacted the dealer and asked if mine would come with these? And they have said no? The chassis weight is 4 tonne and that a damp test will be carried out? But every year I have my caravan serviced I get a damp report surely this would be the same for a motorhome??? I would be interested in your views before contact them back
Hi Mitchyd, I would ask the dealer if he would mind you getting your own independent damp check, there's bound to be a mobile caravan/motorhome service engineer near you who will come and do a damp check or full habitation check, for the sake of £145 or so it could save you a lot of expense and inconvenience in the future, if you get a negative response from the dealer walk away, they are quick enough to find even the minimal amount of damp when they take a van in, but when they sell it it's always got a clean bill of health, and that's regardless of the little faults that do exist, been there got the T- shirt.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Agreed, having had to sort out a little "damp issue" I couldn't imagine buying another pre-loved MoHo without taking my trusty damp meter along and having a ruddy good poke around. The bottom line is they can and very often will, leak at some point in their life, it's really a question of whose holding the parcel when the music stops?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Thanks for everyone's messages I have been back in contact with the dealer and they will provide me with a full copy of the habitation and damp inspection report I also asked for a copy of the warranty terms which they have sent and on reading them I noticed that the warranty is being taken out with the RAC but in there t&c they won't give any cover for water ingress on motorhomes over 8 years old so I have been back in contact with the dealership and they will cover it for 12 months, I would just like to add that the dealers are being fair and I'm confident they aren't trying anything wrong its just it's our first m/home dealings and we just wanted a bit of help and guidance from you all PS Ihave bought a damp meter and will be giving it a good check over thank you everyone and hopefully we will meet a few of you on the road? Fingers crossed all goes well with the rest of the transaction

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Good luck, hopefully you will have done enough up-front research and due diligence to secure yourself a good purchase. When you do get to test the interior of your intended MoHo, do expect to find some readings that generally are around the 10% mark. Check the outside joints and then see if you can measure a reading inside the van directly opposite the exterior seal. Be methodical in your approach and take your time measuring and recording the readings, especially below window openings etc. If you do get a high reading, leave it and move on, and then come back to it and explore a bit wider from the point where you obtained a higher than desired reading. Water has a habit of going where it pleases and often, it's not where you think it ought to be!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back