LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I have been to most dealers in the central belt, a few in Perth and Edinburgh. If you need any info get in touch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
I have been to most dealers in the central belt, a few in Perth and Edinburgh. If you need any info get in touch.
Many thanks, I'm calling into the 'The Motorhome Company' on Monday as my phone chat with them was very encouraging. Also, looking at Perthshire Caravans if you know them.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Many thanks, I'm calling into the 'The Motorhome Company' on Monday as my phone chat with them was very encouraging. Also, looking at Perthshire Caravans if you know them.
Perthshire Caravans quoted me £8000 more than Spinneys to change for the same van. Another funster had a rant on here about travelling all the way up from down south to get offered a poor part exchange price for his van.
If you are going to that area there are two dealers Scott are by the Mercedes garage (roundabout) on the way out of Perth on the A9
There is Dixons , from the sam roundabout head into town and they are on the righthand side.

Edit : The Motorhome Company is a "satellite of Scottmotorhomes as above, when i visited it, it was just like a compound for overspill from there Perth dealership.

There is also a small motorhome place next to it.

Last edited:

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I agree with the comment re Perthshire, never been able to work a deal with them. Never purchased from Knowpark in Livingstone but heard many good report about them. Unfortunately, I have always had to venture South to make my purchases. Makes very little difference as the last 2 vans have had to go all the way back to Germany to be fixed so dealer location in UK is irrelevant, but only for the moment. The next purchase will cut out the UK middle man completely, for all the help any of them have ever been no point including them in the deal.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I wouldn't be too phased about local dealers. For me the key is the post sales service you get. I would far rather travel, making it part of a trip and get good service, than buy local and get rubbish service.

We live in Edinburgh and ended up buying new from a dealer down south and too date haven had no issues. I have a friend who bought from the dealer on the Perth/Dundee road and has had nothing but grief. I am sure they must have many happy customers but makes you think!

Good luck with your hunting!

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
We purchased our MH from Perthshire Caravans a year ago and had absolutely no issues with them, I haggled over the price and finally settled at £2850 under the screen price. The van has been back for 2 warranty repairs and have been dealt with quickly and without question. We’re now looking at buying a new one and when I asked about a trade in price, it’s £1100 more than I paid for it (not that I reminded them what I’d paid). They also have a fantastic accessories shop with really knowledgeable, friendly and helpful staff (not owned by Perthshire Caravans, they rent the space I think)
I looked at Scotmotorhomes at Inveralmond Ind. Estate in Perth first and they were great, really helpful, not pushy and had a great range but they just didn’t have the van we were looking for or I would have bought there.
Dicksons is on ‘The motor mile’ in Perth (about 500 yards from Scotmotorhomes) but have a very limited range and their service is purported to be questionable, not that I have first hand experience, but friends have.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We went round all the dealers mentioned above with a friend who was buying a van. Scott motorhomes were the most helpful and gave straight answers about cosmetic repairs that they were prepared to do on second hand vans. Dicksons were a joke. I asked if one of the vans had a solar panel and the owner said "Don't be silly. They're just a waste of space. You don't need them because you'll always be on hook up." He also said that he would give no reduction for cash and no trade in because he could sell anything off his forecourt at full price. Good luck to him. Our friend bought from Knowepark who have given superb after sales service. I should add that Knowepark's trade in prices are pants but she was a cash purchaser and got a reduction and a solar panel. Hope that helps.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
One point to consider when buying new........will the dealer be able to do warranty work and will he do it on the manufacturers terms.

There have been some horror stories re dealers not prepared to fix a warranty issue at the rates set by the converter.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I have had dealings with the 4 main dealers around Perth, Edinburgh. Knowepark had a nice selection of vans, they buy in cheap (I witnessed them doing a part ex inspection) They wouldn’t deal on a 30k plus van even though I didn’t have a part ex?
Scot motorhomes, nice set of vans, Salesmen are great also, the only reason I didn’t buy with them was the van I liked had a electric bed problem. Great part ex price and they are willing to deal.
Perthshire Caravans. Part ex ok, Van prepared well. Warranty is insurance based, be interesting if something goes wrong. Had a warranty issue on alloys, picked up on PDI as it’s a second hand van,dealer didn’t want to know or offer any compo.
Dicksons, used to be a car dealership not motorhomes, enough said. ;)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
First van from St Andrews Motorhomes near Cupar and second from Roseisle Whitecraig. No complaint about service from either.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I should have added along with the post from Euphoney that the accessory shop at Perthshire Caravans is probably one of the best I have ever been too in the UK in terms of stock and technical support from the staff. Excellent place if you need anything.

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
I got a price from Perthshire for a Rapido but when I told them that I wanted LHD and no Oven they said that they only do RHD and with UK Pack which includes those items. Other dealers I spoke with could offer this. Also would not move on price despite me having no trade in. Shame as I'll be in Scotland and would have preferred to give local business if buying in the UK.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We went into Knowpark earlier this year.

I can't tell you what they are like to deal with, mainly because, after spending and hour or so there, checking my van out for a PX quote and discussing HP and PCP deals on two Hymers, a DuoMobil and the smaller B404.

We are still waiting for the salesman to get back to us.

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
Do not go anywhere near D******s of Perth. Once the sale is made they completely lose interest. They have no concept of what customer service means.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Judging by the address, "The Motorhome Company" used to be "Perthshire Motorhomes" (not to be confused with "Perthshire Caravans") - which is where we bought our current van two years ago. At that time they were great - good service and price. We were buying a 10 yr old van but they didn't show any hesitation in fixing every issue - even when it looked like they might have had to replace the fridge/freezer (and it's a big one!).

In fact a quick check at Companies House shows that The Motorhome Company (Perth) and Perthshire Motorhomes (now dissolved) both stem from Da Auchterarder Limited - all with the same address and directors. I'm assuming DA stems from the directors (David and Alistair) and the location (Auchterarder) and they use the other company as a more meaningful trading name.

Interestingly, Scott Motorhomes shares a director with DA/The Motorhome Company (Alistair Blyth) - but it's address is "c/o" A1 Hire (Perth) Ltd - another Alistair Blyth company, but this one has a number of outstanding charges against it. In fact Alistair Blyth seems to have a number of vehicle-related companies all trading "c/o A1 Hire". I have no idea if this is normal or not.

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Overwhelmed with response folks - very helpful information, particularly the heads-up on Dicksons!
I wouldn't be too phased about local dealers. For me the key is the post sales service you get. I would far rather travel, making it part of a trip and get good service, than buy local and get rubbish service.

We live in Edinburgh and ended up buying new from a dealer down south and too date haven had no issues. I have a friend who bought from the dealer on the Perth/Dundee road and has had nothing but grief. I am sure they must have many happy customers but makes you think!

Good luck with your hunting!
Sound advice - easy enough to incorporate warranty work etc into a trip. Who did you eventually buy from out of interest?

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We were happy with Dicksons
Had a couple of issues that got sorted ok
Only thing we found is it was best to speak to Nicky re repairs etc
We went there as they were the only place in uk that had the van we were after at the time

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
[Q
UOTE="Nevis, post: 2552903, member: 50666"]ound advice - easy enough to incorporate warranty work etc into a trip. Who did you eventually buy from out of interest?[/QUOTE]

This where it becomes interesting as I know there are some forum member who are very sanguine about the dealer I bought from, which just goes to show that it is a very personal thing. We bought a new Rapido from Wokingham and have had excellent after sales service.

They are small, if you like sharp suits probably not for you. Could they have answered emails faster - yes, did it matter no. Have they sorted warranty issues absolutely. Hopefully I will be able to recount a further postitive slant on this in the new year!

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Viewed a Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80 today. Still very impressed as it ticks most of the boxes for our needs. Liked the deep sink, rear lounge, drop-down bed, heated windshield etc., much to admire. Seemed to be well put together. The shortest van has the largest payload according to the website but it is still not generous and we will have to live within our means weight-wise. Tempted to take the plunge! Quoted late November delivery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back