Dash cams .. doing another order if enough folk interested (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Mine was waiting for me when I got home as well. Looks good.

Again a question ...... how long does each size card record? I'd like to record our trip to The Western Isles with our friend and either give him the cards or drop the recordings onto a DVD.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Mine was waiting for me when I got home as well. Looks good.

Again a question ...... how long does each size card record? I'd like to record our trip to The Western Isles with our friend and either give him the cards or drop the recordings onto a DVD.

As a very rough estimate calculated on the back of a fag packet I reckon mine is using around 30-35mb per minute of recording.
So, if you use the maximum card size supported (32gb) that would give around 900 minutes of recording.
As an example, Govan in Glasgow to Tebay Services on M74 \ M6 was around 4200mb in a time of around 140 minutes.
I think!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
As a very rough estimate calculated on the back of a fag packet I reckon mine is using around 30-35mb per minute of recording.
So, if you use the maximum card size supported (32gb) that would give around 900 minutes of recording.
As an example, Govan in Glasgow to Tebay Services on M74 \ M6 was around 4200mb in a time of around 140 minutes.
I think!

So if I get three cards that should be plenty - especially if I drop each day onto a DVD :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
A DVD holds roughly 4.5gb of footage so you would need a minimum 7 - 8 per card giving you a minimum total of, say 24.
As the camera records in slugs based on your stops (camera off) you will end up with varying sizes of files some of which will be much less and others much more than a single DVD capacity.
Given this, the time taken to author the files \ burn to DVD and the cost of discs you might be better buying a 128gb usb stick which you can get for around £30 and give that to your friends to watch on a pc? Alternatively, buy six micro sd cards and copy each of your originals to the "duplicates" and give them an exact replica of the original footage.
Quantity required, obviously, is how long will your total travel \ recording time be! The big imponderable, probably!
If you've got a laptop could you take it with you and download the data off the card each day and store on that. You could then subsequently chose what you burn \ copy to DVD, SD or USB.
Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

PAT N PAUL

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
well ive been using my dash cam now for a couple of days, 2 questions, my GPS signal only comes on intermitently (when it wants) and when its on how do i change to MPH ? any idea's
regards

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Still on the reserve list as guess that no pm means reserve. Will pay by PayPal when my turn comes!
Kath

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Hi, had one delivered a few days ago, got a 16 gb card for it and now find a big problem as I have a MacBook Air and it doesn't like it.....so if anyone would like it at cost complete with free card let me know....
Chris.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Camera received today thanks for all your time and effort. Regards Hilary

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Can I pay by PayPal?

They have now all gone mate.. I will be starting a NEW thread after the Thetford Bash to see if there are enough people wanting one to get another 50.

Sorry to those who missed out..
For something that was meant to be a one off this has certainly turned in to a bit of a marathon !

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Hi Jaws,

Perhaps you might mention to buyers that the cameras don't talk to Apple Mac computers!

Cheers,

Chris.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Jaws,

Perhaps you might mention to buyers that the cameras don't talk to Apple Mac computers!

Cheers,

Chris.
It has been mentioned several times Chris.. and also solutions have been given mate

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
I guess as a relative newbie I haven't seen much of the dashcam forum......so what in everybodies opinion is the solution to this Mac problem, without getting a professional electronics whizz on the job who will charge per hour more than I paid for the camera ?......I did notice that every time I selected English to be used it always decided that I really meant Chinese!!
Anyway I guess I better trawl through the forum to see if I can glean some help that I can, as a numpty , use to get it working before it gets used as target practice on the range!!
Keep smiling,
Chris.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The interface with the PC is "interesting" but if you have some experience with computers you can work round it.

It is a great bit of kit and the play back quality on mine was fabulous.

Just have to find the best place to put the GPS unit on the van. One thing I did notice when watching the playback and playing with the controls was that it sometimes the GPS link was spot on and next time I played it back it thought I'd been in China! Probably an IDtenT operator error but strange...... As I plan to give a series of cards to a friend who is coming on holiday with us as a memento of his trip I'll need to write out simple idiot-proof instructions for the playback. Nice to have a map so he can link the scenery with the place :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As mentioned Sylvester, I am afraid they are all gone mate..
However, ad the interest is still very much alive I will start a whole new thread after the Thetford Bash and if enough folk still want one I shall get another load ordered for you :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
...... As I plan to give a series of cards to a friend who is coming on holiday with us as a memento of his trip I'll need to write out simple idiot-proof instructions for the playback. Nice to have a map so he can link the scenery with the place :)
You may know this but you can copy and save the files in a "standard" format that plays on a computer media player (eg Windows Media, VLC, etc) or even a compatible DVD player.
Don't know how this would work with Google Maps though?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks Gellyneck, I did that when I saved the files onto my hard drive. I don't think the map data came across through...... if it did it doesn't show with the windows media player playback :) The quality of the video is impressive with the .avi file playback though.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Gellyneck, I did that when I saved the files onto my hard drive. I don't think the map data came across through...... if it did it doesn't show with the windows media player playback :) The quality of the video is impressive with the .avi file playback though.

Hi PD
Found your post in the other thread on this subject later on so apologies for teaching granny how tae sook eggs!:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Not at all.... I just made a few notes as I played with it and have only just scratched the surface. I am no expert and I am sure someone else can do a MUCH better job than me.

My friend is tech-challenged so I need to make things as easy as possible for him which is why I am going to give him the cards so all he has to do is plug and play :) I would put it onto DVD for him but would need a stack of DVDs so not really practical.

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Help and SOS....does anybody know how to get my Mac book Air to behave when I plug the Micro SD card into the card reader and then into the usual USB slot.....comes up on the screen as..''Mac OS X can't repair the disc 'DR_DISK'
All contributions gratefully received..........Chris.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I wish I could help but in all the years I worked in IT I avoided having anything to do with Macs..They always feel so alien to me somehow..
But if you search back on this thread the matter has been addressed a couple of times so you should get the answer :)

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Hi Jaws........have trawled back to the start of your thread, but nothing of interest has come up !
Surely I can't be the only Mac man on here, maybe if there are other dash cams that aren't so picky about sharing their contents with a Mac?. I suppose I could try and find a cheap PC laptop that would work, but that only adds one more item to clutter up my wagon!....It's odd that all my other camcorders and stills cameras don't have a prob with my Mac. Strangely enough the manual does say it will work with MAC OS x above 10.3.6 !
Cheers........Chris.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back