Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
just been to,d by the dealer that the dash cam plugged into the 12 volt socket is adding to the poor reception of the radio in a class m/home, anybody else heard of this?

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I get exactly the same problem in my Ford Transit Custom work van.
It has improved slightly by rerouting the cable away from the radio.
Interested to hear of any fixes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
sounds like the usual rubbish aerial to me, dealer excuse, instead of rectify the problem

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That's what Becks told me last summer. Multiple cables trailing across the dash feeding the nagsat and the reversing camera. Reception ok when they were unplugged they said but I've yet to drive without my aids plugged in so don't know.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's what Becks told me last summer. Multiple cables trailing across the dash feeding the nagsat and the reversing camera. Reception ok when they were unplugged they said but I've yet to drive without my aids plugged in so don't know.
Yep hard wired dashcam ruined radio reception even after trying different solutions. Plugged it in eventually

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
well if that's what they say then why not just unplug it and show them the crap reception , or are they based near a transmitter where the signal is so strong.
either way you can test yourself just unplug the dashcam when you are getting crap reception

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They are correct, trailing cables from cig / USB sockets act as an antenna picking up interference and evident in poor radio reception.
Any device will cause it, sat nav or dash cam.
Easily demonstrated by unplugging the devices. A ferrite ring on the cable may help but in my case made no difference.
I ended up buying a hard wired cable kit for my Roadhawk which contains a box of tricks that cut out all interference.
Trouble is it makes swopping between car and motorhome impossible, unless I buy another kit I suppose ?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Happens in my works Berlingo, only in poor reception areas, unplug the dash cam and the radio instantly comes back on.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not had that one?. My Dash Cam and Sat Nav, Both sit on top of the Radio (Sony). And the Alarm and (possibly) Tracker are buried somewhere under there too I suspect!.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sometimes we have an issue with our rear view monitor plug causing interference but the sat nav/tablet plug doesn't usually cause any issues even if its in the same socket, so it is something to do with the monitor plug/wire. I bought some cab sockets that I'm going to wire away from the radio so that we don't have any problems in the future .... saying that since we took it in for some warranty work and they 'had a go' at sorting out the radio reception (not related to the above interference) it's been worse than ever even with nothing plugged in! I suspect something has a bad contact/come lose so hubby's going to take the radio out himself and check everything.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When I got the mohome in Feb, radio reception was very poor, took it back to dealer and found that power supply cable to aerial had not been connected.
On the a class Hymer roof aerial and amp are fitted but no ex factory radio and dealers radio man missed it.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
i'll have to add this to my list of jobs to do as well , as i noticed it last time we were away in the MH, but i'm unable to check it at home as the problem is not present at home due to the transmitter signal being stronger

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I had it with my Eprance dash cam, if I unplugged it from the 12v socket it instantly improved. I bought a better lead from Maplin that has helped

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It isn't as silly as it sounds! My first dashcam was fitted to my car. I bought a hard wire kit to go with it, and because it records even when not in motion, it had a fancy gizmo fitted inline to shutdown the power if the battery volts got too low.
First drive, and the bloody radio has got no signal at all! Buggar, thinks I, I've knocked out the aerial. So I pull out everything, nope everything is good. Put it all back together, as soon as I start the car, radio signal disappears. I bodged a bypass to the low battery thing, and hey presto the radio signal comes back.
Since I had proved my point, I cut out the low power thingy, and put it all back in, not had any issues since. It doesn't mean that the issue will be your dash cam, but it could be.
My money however is on the fact that your aerial wire isn't connected to an aerial, very common in motorhomes, so fitting a dashcam, which makes a bit of electrical "noise" close to it will destroy the signal, since the antenna is essentially the metal plug, about 1cm out of the back of the unit.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
They are correct, trailing cables from cig / USB sockets act as an antenna picking up interference and evident in poor radio reception.
Any device will cause it, sat nav or dash cam.
Easily demonstrated by unplugging the devices. A ferrite ring on the cable may help but in my case made no difference.
I ended up buying a hard wired cable kit for my Roadhawk which contains a box of tricks that cut out all interference.
Trouble is it makes swopping between car and motorhome impossible, unless I buy another kit I suppose ?

Just clipping a ferrite to the cable may not cure it. Try passing the coax of the radio and other wires through a ferrite rings a number of times, just once is not enough.
techtip_ferritering_2.jpg

A radio ham may be able to help you with this. Any wire can act as an antenna. You can buy split rings or clamps to make the process easier then seal the joint with superglue.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passive-components/ferrite-cores/ferrite-rings/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=ferrite+clamp

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I had the reverse hard wired mine in our VW T5.1 sportline van had nothing but bother tried all sorts magnets different wires you name it but couldn't get it sorted now it is just plugged into the accessory socket on the dash with the power cable that came with it and it works fine although it now looks naff I think the problem with the dashcams is the interference comes from the power supply stepping up from 5v to 12v had a similar problem with my dab radio in the Moho with inference it was the front DRL light power supply think they would have this sorted by know seems a common problem :cry:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I've had a problem with one of my dash-cams stopping my satnav picking up a signal.
After I swapped the dash-cam in the camper for the one in the car I had no problems

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Cheap Chinese Dash Cams .. Not fit for purpose .. I have a GoPro Hero4 mounted on top of my radio /sat nav and get no problems at all. Try another dash cam. Trip to Halfords perhaps ..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A Check of the Aerial EARTH, would be my first move. Over many years this has always been the "bugbear" of Radio reception!. BAD EARTHING, is responsible for a multitude of issues in vehicles.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My radio was crap so I replaced it. It's still crap so probably aerial but I haven't bothered to do anything about it as the only time I listen to the radio is the hour and a bit it takes to get to the tunnel. My languages aren't up to listening to foriegn stations.

Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
BlackView actually say theirs may interfere with DB Radios... it's in very small print

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Damn, wish I was more aware of the potential "trailing cables interference" justification earlier, could have added that to my SWMBO excuses for buying an expensive new Pioneer double DIN head unit to consolidate satnav, reverse screen, parrot hands free systems... ;)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Found on another Forum

Cheap USB chargers are horrendous for EMI, most Chinese ones are not certified. They basically work by switching the 12v feed from the lighter socket on and off at high frequency to give an average 5v output to the USB port. This is a very efficient way to change 12v down to 5v provided there is enough noise suppression built in to the design. Cheap chargers don't have enough and the result is spurious RF interference which messes up radio interference, or worse still is interference sent back down the power lines into the MH can effect other electrical parts.

This is probably why a hard wired system gets rid on the interference. You can get them from Amazon

Amazon product ASIN B00GXXFBC0
Built for purpose but need to be wired into MH 12v System.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back