LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Assuming the steady progress continues on the C19 front and we may be released from lockdown, I was hoping to get away to a designated Dark Skies area in May sometime. Does anyone have any recommendations?

BTW this is not an invitation to moan about can't do it until ....... You won't be allowed to....... Have you thought about the risks you're facing...... You are endangering others ......

Just recommendations on Dark Skies sites please. :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Queen Elizabeth Forrest Park is near Loch Lomand, not in D&G. You probably mean Galloway Forest Park. Hopefully Forest and Land Scotland will re-run the overnight parking scheme that they did last year. There were a couple of car parks there included, one having water and CDP.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Galloway is great but a long drive if you are only coming for a short while. Given you are in Brittany (if that's up to date!) a ferry to Plymouth would get you to Bodmin or Exmoor which are designated Dark Skies areas. The Brecon Beacons also but further to drive of course.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Another new one on me "Dark Skies". Straight to Google now.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Queen Elizabeth Forrest Park is near Loch Lomand, not in D&G. You probably mean Galloway Forest Park. Hopefully Forest and Land Scotland will re-run the overnight parking scheme that they did last year. There were a couple of car parks there included, one having water and CDP.
My apologies I was talking to my brother whose wife is from that area, New Galloway in Dumfries and there is a C andCC site at Loch Ken if you want/need water etc.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
My apologies I was talking to my brother whose wife is from that area, New Galloway in Dumfries and there is a C andCC site at Loch Ken if you want/need water etc.
I stand to be corrected here.. the CCC site at Loch Ken is a only a CL at Ken Bridge.
The big site on Loch Ken Is not a CCC site but commercial.????

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Another vote for Keilder in Northumberland. There's obviously the Keilder Water with the visitor centre, the village with pub etc, the Keilder Observatory, and miles of walking and cycle tracks (and mountain bike courses) around Keilder Water. Also if you are a member of Britstops, I recall there are a couple of overnight stop locations to choose from, but you'd need to check in the 2021 book to make sure.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Galloway is great but a long drive if you are only coming for a short while. Given you are in Brittany (if that's up to date!) a ferry to Plymouth would get you to Bodmin or Exmoor which are designated Dark Skies areas. The Brecon Beacons also but further to drive of course.
Hi, yes but I'm stuck ATM in Chester. Came back for Xmas and got locked down! I am hoping to get back to Brittany soon, the garden will be going wild!! I've got Brittany Ferries booking but it depends on Boris, and Emanuel.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
On the banks of loch Doon (Ayrshire) there is a campsite slap bang in the middle of the dark skies area.
There is an observatory 5mins drive from the site & the scenery is stunning.
The whole of The Galloway Forest Park is superb for a holiday.

Try watching this wonderful BBC program & you'll see the place in all its glory.

Wherever you go, please take some photo's & let us see what you've found?

1 Loch Doon.jpg
a nice Merrick photo.jpg
Beoch Farm, loch Doon.jpg
Craigengillan.jpg
Dalmellington observatory.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
On the banks of loch Doon (Ayrshire) there is a campsite slap bang in the middle of the dark skies area.
There is an observatory 5mins drive from the site & the scenery is stunning.
The whole of The Galloway Forest Park is superb for a holiday.

Try watching this wonderful BBC program & you'll see the place in all its glory.

Wherever you go, please take some photo's & let us see what you've found?

View attachment 466286View attachment 466287View attachment 466288View attachment 466289View attachment 466290
Hoping to go there once we are allowed. Stayed there about 20 years ago, before the campsite opened. Water 50p from the cafe at the entrance.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hoping to go there once we are allowed. Stayed there about 20 years ago, before the campsite opened. Water 50p from the cafe at the entrance.
The cafe (The Round House) has grown considerably. It is owned by a friend of mine, his name is Brian & he always welcomes visitors to the area.

The caravan site is doing quite well, still no toilet block, but they are seeking finds to build one.
The pitches are large, there are services, water, waste disposal & mains hookup.
A new transmitter has also been erected on the hill opposite the site, so most phone signals are very good & 4G is also very strong.

Here's hoping that you manage to get here, fingers crossed.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Bit of a thread resurrection but rather than start a new one, has anyone a recommendation for a Dark Skies site in the South or South East please. I hear the South Downs could be worth a look but unsure on sites. Wherever, would be good to have EHU. Thinking of going end November. Thanks...

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Getting back to this and looking to go in Feb now, I thought I'd found a site but of course, it's not open until 11th March!

We'd like a long weekend in Feb - does anyone have any suggestions please; about 2 to 2.5 Hrs from Commons Wood CAMC...?

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
100 mile radius is a big area but anywhere with low population density. I would look around north Norfolk if you want dark skies. All the other directions are relatively densely populated.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Longitude 131 , they have star gazing cocktails at 7 pm each evening , awesome , give it a try you won’t be disappointed. 👍💡

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back