Crossing into Belgium from France? (1 Viewer)

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
Hello from rainy Arras!

Our maiden trip to France has evolved a little - not least because I got knocked off my bike on Thursday (6 hours in A&E, broken eyesocket and plenty of other cuts and bruises) and haven’t been in the shape to drive for too long at a time.

We’ve ended up heading East and are hoping to get to the Ardennes by the weekend. The ideal way to do this, given a few places we’d like to see on the way, crosses into Belgium (only for 80km or so) and then back.

I’d planned to keep it simple by staying in France and haven’t done any research for Belgium. How easy is it to cross the border? Are there any other complications or things I should be aware of before venturing onto Belgian roads?

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 92DF44C0-95B2-4983-9061-C8FE62717F96.jpeg
    92DF44C0-95B2-4983-9061-C8FE62717F96.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 186
Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
[QUOTE="chenderson1965, post: 3508110, member: Are there any other complications or things I should be aware of before venturing onto Belgian roads?
Thanks
Chris
[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need to put the strongest adhesive possible to your false teeth or they will be rattled out by the Belgium road surfaces.

Some other European countries have even worse surfaces but you did ask for advice.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Like your I've been a good boy badge (y) Hope your on the mend and it does not spoil your dashing good looks too much. :giggle:

I endorse what keithchesterfield2 says about the Belgium roads, they are dire.

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Wow - that must been a hell of a fall! Did you have a helmet on?
The only thing to spot when in Belgium is that the Village name boards that signify the 'built up area' 50kph limit are different colour and style. May be stating the obvious - but took a few minutes to spot that they had suddenly changed! IMHO Both the roads and the drivers were worse in Belgium than France.

xF1a.JPG.pagespeed.ic.6ZiScYojgs.jpg

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, you need to put the strongest adhesive possible to your false teeth or they will be rattled out by the Belgium road surfaces.
I endorse what @keithchesterfield2@ says about the Belgium roads, they are dire.
IMHO Both the roads and the drivers were worse in Belgium than France.
Ain’t that the truth, I think all my fillings rattled out of my skull whilst traversing Belgium!

Sorry to hear of your bike incident chenderson1965

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi I hope you recover quickly.
I note they gave you a sticker in English ;)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We crossed into Belgium heading into the French Ardennes recently. It was just the way Messrs Garmin decided to route us but I'm used to its eccentricities. The border was non-existent, not even a sign saying "Welcome to Belgium". For the first few miles I thought we had found the only smooth roads in Belgium but they didn't last.

Lot of interesting military history around the Ardennes. The US forces came through here then were counter-attacked and virtually surrounded - Battle of the Bulge. I'm sure John Wayne covered it. :) Also the Maginot Line fortifications.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hello from rainy Arras!

Our maiden trip to France has evolved a little - not least because I got knocked off my bike on Thursday (6 hours in A&E, broken eyesocket and plenty of other cuts and bruises) and haven’t been in the shape to drive for too long at a time.

We’ve ended up heading East and are hoping to get to the Ardennes by the weekend. The ideal way to do this, given a few places we’d like to see on the way, crosses into Belgium (only for 80km or so) and then back.

I’d planned to keep it simple by staying in France and haven’t done any research for Belgium. How easy is it to cross the border? Are there any other complications or things I should be aware of before venturing onto Belgian roads?

Thanks

Chris
Ouch that looks painful Chris.

The good thing about Belgium is that the fuel is cheaper. Lots of great stops on camper contact and great opportunities for cyc.......well maybe not.

Hope you're getting used to the Arto
Jon

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Only problem we had was finding fuel when running very short in the south-east, because everyone crossed the border to refuel in Luxembourg where it was cheaper. Don't know if it's the same these days.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
There’s some great places to visit in Belgium and crossing the border is easy in fact if you miss the sign you wouldn’t know you’ve crossed a border.
Hope you’re on the mend soon and just think what your injuries would have been if you hadn’t worn a cycle helmet.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The only way to be sure you are in Belgium is to order some chips. If they are really nice you are in Belgium. If they have been sliced with a blunt instrument or chopped into strange shapes you are still in France.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I second what people have said about Belgian roads, some of them are rough.

If you find yourself in southern Belgium I can recommend the aire at Arlon - free parking, water and electricity. No cassette emptying though. Luxembourg is well known for having the cheapest diesel. We passed through about 6 weeks ago and paid 108.45 cents a litre.

Oh, and enjoy Arras - aire is not pretty but a lovely, historic town.

Paul

Upvote 0

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
speed limit on motorways is only 120KPH rather than 130KPH in France for Cars, not sure for Motorhome

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I second what people have said about Belgian roads, some of them are rough.

If you find yourself in southern Belgium I can recommend the aire at Arlon - free parking, water and electricity. No cassette emptying though. Luxembourg is well known for having the cheapest diesel. We passed through about 6 weeks ago and paid 108.45 cents a litre.

Oh, and enjoy Arras - aire is not pretty but a lovely, historic town.

Paul
That just shows the difference in people's choices. We thought the aire in Arlon was pretty grim but we love the one a bit further nort at Han sur Lesse.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
That just shows the difference in people's choices. We thought the aire in Arlon was pretty grim but we love the one a bit further nort at Han sur Lesse.

Yes, Arlon aire is certainly not pretty but the town has quite a lot of shops. Being a skinflint I always appreciate something for nothing ?

Paul

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back