• This is a place where you can meet someone who might lead you on a tour in your motorhome. The agreement you make with a tour leader is between you and them. You should ensure the person taking the tour is suitable and experienced enough to do so. Any monetary arrangements you make are entirely between the guides and tour members. Motorhomefun has nothing to do with the arrangements, it does not collect commisions. MotorhomeFun takes no responsibility for any aspect of the tour and only provides this forum as way of introduction. Vetting and due diligence is the responsibility of the individual. Your use of this service/forum is acknowledgement of your acceptance of this..

Tour Guide Wanted Croatia

Yorkydave

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2011
Anyone any experience of camping in Croatia? We arrived today in Umag, found a car park with a Motorhome sign and an option for 24 hours, paid the fee direct to car park warden got a ticket so though all was well. Went to tourist info and told all wild camping illegal we must use a site if we do not register on a site then we will have to pay a fine to leave the country as we have to be registered each night. Checked with warden again who says not true and we are ok. One web site appears to agree with tourist info but says it’s ok to sleep in van in car parks with designated Motorhome areas which this has. Fine apparently €400 each so would like to avoid. Help please !

Robert Clark

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 78F
Exp
Since June 2014 - learning something new all the time
Wild camping is illegal in Croatia
Best to use campsites or camperstops
Loads on Campercontact
It will be expensive to stay now as it’s high season until September

DBK

Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Take a photo of the sign and keep your ticket. According to Campercontact there are a very small number of free aires in Croatia and the ones I looked at just now are just parking areas.

OP
Y

Yorkydave

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the quick response, we sussed the expensive bit, camper contacts are showing the same type of site we are on carparks with designated Motorhome parking for 24 hours but we are being told it’s illegal to sleep in the van

Robert Clark

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 78F
Exp
Since June 2014 - learning something new all the time
Thanks for the quick response, we sussed the expensive bit, camper contacts are showing the same type of site we are on carparks with designated Motorhome parking for 24 hours but we are being told it’s illegal to sleep in the van
There are lots of small informal camperstops attached to restaurants
You’ll spot them as you’re driving along the coast

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015 and in that time I have learnt an awful lot from this site
Or if kayaking is your thing, mreznica river waterfalls, stunning location and they will let you overnight on the land opposite. The wildlife was amazing.
Marco the guide, a real character !
Even if your not kayakers I'd recommend you give it a try, great day in lovely location, and on the way to Plitvice.
There are a few wild camping places and your unlikely to be asked to move unless your very inconsiderate.
As stated campsites are expensive now.
Croatia has a beautiful coastline but not much of it is accessible outside the areas that are developed.
Many of the online places to freecamp are not really places you'd want to be, in my experience.
We spent a lot of June in Croatia but heading north now as it's getting much to hot for us !

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015 and in that time I have learnt an awful lot from this site
Yorkydave
If you go to Plitvice I'd recommend you get as soon as the gates open and have some time in relative peace and quiet.
By 1100 there will be 400 tour coaches on the carpark having brought Japanese and Chinese tourists, all waving selfie sticks and posing to photograph each other, and walking against the flow on the boardwalks.
If you get what I mean !
I should add, not just Japs and chinks but they're the worst offerders.

Great place but gets sooo busy

May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I expect the tourist info person was referring to actual wild camping, not paying to park in a designated motorhome bay. If you buy a ticket for a 24 hour stay then you clearly are allowed to sleep in the vehicle.

OP
Y

Yorkydave

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2011
That’s what I thought so checked with local police, response was no no no, after some pressing the desk copper said if we were passing through then they would turn a blind eye. In the event we stayed on the car park. No issues. I think the tourist info are very strict as the rules are set by the ministry of tourism and enforced by the police who have better things to do. They can’t be bothered filling forms in to fine English people. Every days a learning day! Many thanks for your help

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services