Credit/Debit card payment surcharges outlawed from Jan 2018 (1 Viewer)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Under an EU Directive, surcharges for paying via Credit or Debit card are to be banned in the UK from January next year.

Many Airlines and Ferry Companies have been amongst the worst offenders at the very sly "add-a-card-payment-surcharge-right-at-the-end-of-the-booking-process" scam.

Even if those who currently hide them instead add a little to the public up-front price from then on, at least it'll enable more transparent price comparisons between competitors.

http://news.sky.com/story/rip-off-473m-credit-and-debit-card-surcharges-will-be-banned-10953421

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't forget the hypocritical government add card fees onto their online purchases such as car tax..... then shout about unscrupulous businesses
Like it, they will have to use some of the money they have saved recently on computerization of payments.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's usually only a surcharge for credit cards because the processing fees for credit cards are a lot higher than for debit cards. I add the fee on if any of my customers want to pay by credit card and I wouldn't for one moment knock anyone else who does the same.

If this goes through then one of two things will happen:

Companies will just put prices up to cover the credit card fee regardless of how the customer is paying or alternatively they may just stop accepting credit cards completely and say cash or debit card only.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Some places do not take cards anyway. If you want a Chinese here or where my sister lives there are big signs cash only no cards etc, to busy to go to the bank.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We've never charged for card payments.... but

Payments by card do attract charges........... at a cost

Somewhere in our prices those costs have to be allowed for....

In other words every customer pays.......... the 'charges' don't just 'disappear'

If you think that those charges should be shared........... be happy........... you're still paying !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It was interesting to hear a financial guru this morning saying that the airlines like Ryanair add 1.5 to 2.5% but only pay the card companies about 0.6%
Consumers paying the correct surcharge is fine but blatant profiteering is not right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back