Cracking noises in motorhome roof (1 Viewer)

Sjsergeant

Free Member
Mar 14, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Ace Airstream
Exp
Since 2018
We have had our Ace Airstream (2008) motorhome for 3 years now and on 3 occasions heard loud cracking noises in the roof. The first time was mid morning as the sun was getting through to our van in a wooded area, so we put that down to temperature change. The second time was 3am New Years Eve when we heard it as we approached our van on the drive. And then this morning it started at 6.20 and carried on for over an hour. It sounds like fireworks sometimes then other times there just a single cracking noise. Any idea what it is or how to cure it? Thank you šŸ˜Š

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have a similar (Swift Bolero) model but have never heard anything like that. Apart from birds on the roof (I don't think so) the only thing that occurs to me is some sort of electrical short, but unless you've got anything non-standard fitted up there I've no idea what would cause it. Maybe check your skylights for something under stress, creaking acrylic might sound similar.

Sorry can't help further but I'm intrigued, do tell us if you find what it is. Meanwhile at least your post is "bumped" for a chance someone else has an idea.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The outer aluminium skin on the roof is probably not bonded to the underinsulation. This is how the roof is constructed. The aluminium skin will expand and contract at a different rate to the underskin and could account for the "cracking" noise. If you check your roof and take some photos on a hot day and again on a cool day, you will probably see some creases.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The outer aluminium skin on the roof is probably not bonded to the underinsulation. This is how the roof is constructed. The aluminium skin will expand and contract at a different rate to the underskin and could account for the "cracking" noise. If you check your roof and take some photos on a hot day and again on a cool day, you will probably see some creases.
I could almost accept that, but it's happening in wildly varying circumstances. Be interested to hear if anybody else has experienced this.

OP
OP
Sjsergeant

Sjsergeant

Free Member
Mar 14, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Ace Airstream
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for the suggestions but there doesnā€™t seem to be any pattern. First time it was getting really hot high 30ā€™s, second time 3am December donā€™t know what the temperature was but there wasnā€™t a sharp dip and then this morning it was about 14 degrees and misty. Roof lights open on 2 occasions shut on the other. It could have happened many other times when weā€™ve not been in the van.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have an ace airstream same year and donā€™t hear any noises like that.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My van bodyshell creaks when there is a change in temperature, generally morning/evening. Put it down to the teutonic German construction method ;) Think it would be difficult to allow for expansion/contraction in the build process as this could compromise the "sideways rigidity" of the box structure.

However, the greatest degree of expansion/contraction in a MH will technically occur lengthwise (along the roof/wall panels, front to back). The ends of the solid roof (front and back) normally terminate in an overlapping capping with a flexible sealant between solid roof and GRP capping. Perhaps the OP's loud cracking noises are coming from the flexing of the GRP capping ???

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My van does it when it cools down at night... as though it cracking in two. It's done it for years and no adverse effects... Burstner on a Renault base.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No... it does make funny noises driving along the road sometimes like a crack but not when itā€™s stationery.

Joe Merc

Free Member
May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Jayco
I have a Jayco motor home. The noises from the cab above is getting extremely bad, only 9 months old. It was only making noises when the van twisted on a uneven road. After picking up from the first service the noise now occurs on a smooth road. It sounds like friction between the metal roof of the van and the built on motor home luton peak construction.
Can this movement between the two be locked together again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back