Corona Virus, Great Escape. Med. Spain to Green Spain (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
have never been to spain so have no idea of costs of meals there but will hazard a guess based on what you've written and say 26 euros..
is squid tender by the way or a little chewy?

The baby squid we had was sooo tender.

If cooked too long it would be like rubber.

By the way, you're way out!!!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've had my stroll, Martin's gone out with more of our King Prawns to lose. They may be cheaper to use than fishing worms or other bait, but it doesn't seem right to me šŸ¤”. Wasting good food for ... nothing šŸ˜‚

The stroll was easy once I'd climbed the wooden steps from the beach. Looking across the water I could see the lighthouse we didn't stay at a few nights ago!

DSCN3644.JPG
DSCN3646.JPG
DSCN3651.JPG

There's a renovated Casa de la Vela (Lookout House) one of a series of lookouts built to repel pirates like Francis Drake!
DSCN3653.JPG

DSCN3657.JPG

Nearby is a white cross, with no obvious access and no information.

And ... further west more beaches.
DSCN3660.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I see they do pulpo which I've never had but must try. Unlike squid I believe octopus needs long cooking to make it tender.

We've eaten it in El Berro! Gines' wife cooked it for us. She's from Galicia. It was very nice.

I've only seen it cooked once, by a Portuguese friend, at our house, it was a whole one and he cooked it for hours. Boiled with herbs and other things. It was nice but not the same as the Galician way.

We were tempted today, but went for the Chipirones instead because Martin wanted some chips! They were excellent, so tender.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We've eaten it in El Berro! Gines' wife cooked it for us. She's from Galicia. It was very nice.

I've only seen it cooked once, by a Portuguese friend, at our house, it was a whole one and he cooked it for hours. Boiled with herbs and other things. It was nice but not the same as the Galician way.

We were tempted today, but went for the Chipirones instead because Martin wanted some chips! They were excellent, so tender.
We cooked a whole one once in Portugal and followed instructions carefully but it ended up a really weird gelatinous texture - yuk! We stick to eating it in restaurants now šŸ˜Š

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hmmm. We think we're having our best holiday, ever. We've been to some lovely places. NZ (long flight), Norway (long drive and expensive), Canada (bears!) but overall these last two weeks have been brilliant. Perfect temperatures, if a tad windy sometimes, beautiful scenery and normal prices!!!

Today's bike ride was to find "the best bank in the world"!!! Translations on P4N.

I had, to be honest, found out it was a bench situated in a lovely location.

Our route was part of a Wikiloc mountain bike route. We were riding it in the opposite direction to how it was published, and we did have to push uphill on a narrow, rocky, tree lined, path for 20 metres or so. The rest was perfect riding.

The route we did was the coastal bit. We returned on minor roads, a route of our own making!

Screenshot_2020-07-17-08-16-43-641_com.android.chrome.jpg

DSCN3665.JPG

Our first wow.
DSCN3669.JPG

Looking back to our overnight area and beyond to the lighthouse from a few days ago.
DSCN3670.JPG

And then our second wow.
DSCN3674.JPG

The position of the "bank" bench.
DSCN3677.JPG
DSCN3682.JPG
DSCN3685.JPG

There are free parking areas used by motorhomes up on the tops, but it can be very windy. One Chiringuito bar is in the pines, about 150 metres from the bench. They charge ā‚¬3 to park in their sheltered spot. A 4G internet signal was available. We were going to go there, so checked it out, but on our return route the road was closed and the detour was a lovely, grassy, mountainbike track. Not for our motorhome!!!

Anyway, we rode further along.

DSCN3687.JPG

Saw another packed beach ...
DSCN3691.JPG

And then returned through villages and hamlets on minor roads.

We're now at another place for the night ...

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We left our lovely spot on the port yesterday after our bike ride and, after many changes of mind, and thinking about it being Friday night, we arrived here.

View attachment 408076

A community provided camperstop, with full facilities (even a hand cleanser dispenser next to the water taps).

I was very unsure yesterday on our approach, because we could see industry in the distance. Chimneys etc. We still don't know what they do there but, reading the signs in the town (in Gallego but still understandable) they say no industry, no future!! So our free overnight parking is more than acceptable.

Martin tried fishing, last night. He didn't catch anything, but a fellow autocaravanista (Spanish) came back in a bit of a daze with a 5 kilo fish (we're still trying to find out what it was).

Anyway. We spoke to some Brits (well the male half) in a Neismann Bischoff!! who have just been quarantined here. He gave us some good info about the area. They've been here before. And we had a morning strolling. (They were also quarantined at La Manga in early spring. Something tells me to get away from them ... pronto šŸ˜‚

But ... we're staying tonight, just to get Saturday Night Fever, out of the way.

We walked up to the lighthouse and then, Martin's knees still in agreement, we did the 2km marked, yellow route, taking in the industry, which, after a while has a strange beauty of it's own.
DSCN3703.JPG
DSCN3704.JPG
DSCN3707.JPG
DSCN3716.JPG
DSCN3719.JPG
DSCN3729.JPG
DSCN3732.JPG
DSCN3740.JPG
DSCN3758.JPG
DSCN3767.JPG
DSCN3778.JPG
DSCN3791~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
What a brilliant stretch of coast. I must bookmark that!

You really must.

I don't like recommending places sometimes, because we go for different reasons, but this coast is stunning.

We're definitely going to see "Cathedral Beach" just because...

Then, I think the coast will get busier. How busy, this year, we don't know.

We're also conscious that, once we leave this corner of Spain, the weather will get hotter.

That, we don't want. We may even find ourselves backtracking and filling bits in!!!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Loving this Judith, our first trip to that part of Spain was probably 2010 we had to move on we had never seen so much rain, šŸ™„ our second attempt was early September 2014 our memories of Fisterra was thick sea mist we parked visibility about 10m. šŸ™‚
P1040191.JPG Your view and all your photos have yet again inspired us. šŸ˜

Our third attempt was last year end of August/ September it was so busy Janie flipped a coin on a phone app in Vigo, best out of three after speaking to friends further north, saying it's not getting any better............. its heaving, šŸ˜‰ unfortunately we lost the toss and headed back to Portugal, but obviously with all that's going on you have chosen the perfect time to be there, thanks for posting. šŸ˜Ž
šŸ˜‰ One thing we have taken on board is go earlier in the year. šŸ˜ Bob.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well, the weather not always perfect in "Paradise" and it's not perfect here today. Its "mizzly" šŸ˜Š

We've moved down to Foz.

Whilst it's less than perfect weather we've still had a stroll along the "prom", listened to some Spanish music, spent a whole ā‚¬0.90 on bread and returned to our motorhome. Whilst we call it a motorhome, we feel inferior next to the Dutch "megahome" next to us, which has prompted many slow drive pasts, and walk pasts šŸ˜‚.

Are we bovvered??? Are we heck. We wouldn't have liked to have been in that in some of our situations šŸ‘

We are still intending to do "Cathedral Beach" but tomorrow is supposed to be another grey/wet day. Will that make much of a difference šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

There are, also, a lot of fish here šŸ˜‚

Screenshot_20200719-150914_Photos.jpg
IMG_20200719_131853.jpg
IMG_20200719_133215.jpg
IMG_20200719_130140.jpg

I imagine it's a whole different place in the sun, and on a normal, July, Sunday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back