Corona Virus, Great Escape. Med. Spain to Green Spain (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ahh!!!, When it blows off Finistere, It Blows!
Don't it just 🌪 ... we went there with the idea of staying up near the lighthouse but in the early hours it got so bad that we moved down to the lower level and huddled in the middle of the other MHs! :giggle:

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This morning we left our, very quiet, overnight spot, after Martin had been out fishing (!!!) with the locals (the !!! are for the attempt, not the catching). Unfortunately, those photos are on my camera, whose battery is "exhausted". A good wild parking spot at the mirador, with water and a bin, I'll show you later, when the battery has come back to life.

Anyway.

We are now at the Ermita de Santo Hadrián, overlooking Malpica where we've parked up for the night.

We've been "tourist information " for people walking the "Two Lighthouse Route" 🙂🙂. Spanish, don't you know? They don't know where the route goes 👍.

The Ermita is very well preserved!

Photos may, or may not, be following ... depending on our internet capacity.

Here goes ...
IMG_20200709_133556.jpg
IMG_20200709_125741.jpg
IMG_20200709_130438.jpg
IMG_20200709_133202.jpg
IMG_20200709_133328.jpg
IMG_20200709_133359.jpg

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The harbour in Malpica is an interesting and busy place but don't do what we did and drive there. It's a dead end and there wasn't a lot of space to turn around. :LOL:

P4260117.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
For some reason, the internet is now working well. So backtracking to this morning, early.

From the village of Arou and overnight spot (impossible by us in our 6.7m van to reach the P4N recommended spots due to aforementioned reasons) we drove the 1km westerly to the "Mirador". Just why this was built ... ??? But tap and rubbish bin available and room to park a few vans.

DSCN3435.JPG

I walked downhill, whilst Martin did the necessary with the water, to another P4N spot next to the "Huts of Sinners" ? Your guess is as good as mine.

It was a small beach, with little boats, some uninhabited huts (sinners???) and very little parking.

DSCN3437.JPG
DSCN3438.JPG
DSCN3441.JPG

We retraced our tracks. Back through the streets we'd passed before (no horse in the paddock?) and ended up here ...

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On your cycle along the coast the other day did you see any of the crosses which mark shipwrecks on the Costa del Morte?

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
On your cycle along the coast the other day did you see any of the crosses which mark shipwrecks on the Costa del Morte?

We didn't notice any. But anywhere after the first 30 minutes was a fight for survival against the wind. Our legs were sandblasted and we had to wash our eyes out with saline when we returned. I'd have liked to have seen some of them.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
Are you still ‘up north’? Nasty weather here this morning in Murcia, grey and overcast, very windy and some big spots of rain. Very odd weather for July but a bit of respite from the heat.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Are you still ‘up north’? Nasty weather here this morning in Murcia, grey and overcast, very windy and some big spots of rain. Very odd weather for July but a bit of respite from the heat.

Yes we're still "ooop North". We've just been in a wifi black hole in the Fragas do Eume park. Could just about get a signal to read if I held my phone out of the roof light.

Catch up time now at Pontdeume.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thursday night the cloud closed in and on Friday morning we woke to rain. Time to drive on and to head to the Fragas do Eume natural park to visit the Monestary etc. Because of the fog and rain we used the pay motorway and just before our exit we received a phone call from Norauto to say they had our battery. We headed into Ferrol to collect it.

It took us two full circuits of the small commercial centre, with Norautos sign calling to us!!!, before we found a way in that didn't have a 2.2m barrier. Eventually the battery was exchanged and we retraced our route back to Pontedeume and into the park.

We stayed for two nights on a private camperstop/leisure park and had a walk and a bike ride from there. It was sooo windy again but not too bad in the forest.

On the walk. A 5km marked route from the camperstop. Marked with red paint splashes all the way round (there are also a blue (3km) and yellow (2km) routes similarly marked). By this time we'd left the rain behind but it obviously been wet here earlier.

Spiders web, about the size of a large dinner plate.
DSCN3457_edited.jpeg
DSCN3455.JPG
DSCN3460.JPG
DSCN3464.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yesterday (Saturday) we got the bikes out. It was windy but four Spanish guys in a hired motorhome got theirs out!!! Bikes!!! so we weren't going to be defeated. Again, once we were in the forests it wasn't so windy.

We managed to put together a good ride, taking in the switchback descent to the river and the electricity station and then on to the Monestary. (Oh for a paper map of an area). Google is all well and good but planning isn't so easy.

We stopped at a very exposed mirador overlooking the Eume river.

DSCN3473.JPG

Before our descent down to the same river. There's the remnants of an old bridge in there somewhere.
DSCN3476.JPG

Our first view of the Monestary.
DSCN3479.JPG

And a few once there (wearing the obligatory masks).
DSCN3481.JPG

DSCN3482.JPG

DSCN3488.JPG

We then cycled alongside the river to return back to base. Salmon (in season), trout and some unknown, to Martin, species abound. (He can't fish in rivers outside of the Murcia region with his licence, so no stress!).
DSCN3493.JPG

DSCN3495.JPG

DSCN3497.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Oh for a paper map of an area). Google is all well and good but planning isn't so easy.
Google maps is useless with trails & footpaths but maps. me is excellent and it all works offline.
We have a Satmap maps are very expensive even the countries we have maps for we still often use maps. me.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Google maps is useless with trails & footpaths but maps. me is excellent and it all works offline.
We have a Satmap maps are very expensive even the countries we have maps for we still often use maps. me.

The problem is everything is on a small screen so it's almost impossible to plan a long route.

We've used various route planners in the past, one of the best is the German Komoot, but it relies on input from users and I dont think it's so well used here in Spain, Wikiloc seems to be the app of choice.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The problem is everything is on a small screen so it's almost impossible to plan a long route.

We've used various route planners in the past, one of the best is the German Komoot, but it relies on input from users and I dont think it's so well used here in Spain, Wikiloc seems to be the app of choice.
Planning what's that all about? :rofl:
If doing any planning tend to do it on the laptop.
If you have not used maps.me give it a try you might find it useful for walks & short rides.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Now ... we're at another paying, private camperstop. After an abortive drive out to Cbo Prioriño (where Martin thought he could fish, but on arrival found we were high above the water!) We salvaged something by having a lovely video call and then a stroll around the 16th century Battery.

DSCN3500.JPG
DSCN3509.JPG
DSCN3507.JPG

The powder storage.
DSCN3514.JPG

We then wanted to look for shade as the temperature was rising. All the free parking we could find was out in the open, and, being conscious of the "no camping" regulations we decided to open the wallet, again, and go to the private camperstop at Valdoviño. We stopped to fill up with diesel at €0.95 per litre and the guy in the car next to us handed us a leaflet for ... the camperstop at Valdoviño (the owner no less)!

So we're here for two nights. On a Premium pitch, with a view €3 extra, which we're not even looking at cos we're in the shade 😂. Heyho!!!

Bikes are off tomorrow, no matter what the knees dictate.

Our view, when we look at it 👍

DSCN3518~2.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
a stroll around the 16th century Battery.
And I thought you wanted a battery for the van. :rofl:
What's all this about shade we hate shady pitches rather roast but we wouldn't go to Spain in July.

Looks a lovely coastline we can't get away until October it will be starting to get cold up there then so may stick to South West France & maybe a bit of Spain.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
And I thought you wanted a battery for the van. :rofl:
What's all this about shade we hate shady pitches rather roast but we wouldn't go to Spain in July.

Looks a lovely coastline we can't get away until October it will be starting to get cold up there then so may stick to South West France & maybe a bit of Spain.

We wouldn't GO to Spain in July/August either, but this year ... we don't want to be too far from home.

We don't have shade here, but we can put out the canopy without breaking the rules 👍

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
Looks lovely, certainly better then the strange weather in Murcia today. Remember when you get home masks are now mandatory at all time’s in Murcia as of today (probably for the best given the rapidly increasing number of cases throughout Spain).

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The majority of people we see up here on the streets and around the shops and restaurant areas (mainly seen whilst driving through towns) are wearing masks. We are now fairly close to the quarantined areas of Galicia (80k or so away) and so will only be exploring the last bit of coast around here before changing direction.

Our next pitch neighbours on the camperstop here, came from that direction, and told us that they were prevented from straying into the areas affected, by police and road blocks. It's all being taken seriously still, by the authorities at least.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well the scenery, if it doesn't get better, it certainly doesn't get worse. I'd found a Wikiloc circular mountainbike route that we could do today. The right distance and not too much climb. Unfortunately, it turned out to be all on roads. Minor roads and through lovely scenery, so we didn't mind, but not what we were anticipating. The first half was inland and the second half was back along the coast, where we marvelled at all the beautiful beaches and bays. It can all be driven so everyone can see the same views that we did 👍 the last photos are of the modern lighthouse that we can see from here and a Google map shot of the beaches and bays we saw to give an idea of where we are.

DSCN3530.JPG
DSCN3533.JPG
DSCN3534.JPG
DSCN3537.JPG
DSCN3539.JPG
DSCN3545.JPG
DSCN3551.JPG
DSCN3553.JPG
DSCN3555.JPG
DSCN3556.JPG
DSCN3558.JPG
Screenshot_20200713-143458_Maps.jpg

Deleted User
Yesterday (Saturday) we got the bikes out. It was windy but four Spanish guys in a hired motorhome got theirs out!!! Bikes!!! so we weren't going to be defeated. Again, once we were in the forests it wasn't so windy.

We managed to put together a good ride, taking in the switchback descent to the river and the electricity station and then on to the Monestary. (Oh for a paper map of an area). Google is all well and good but planning isn't so easy.

We stopped at a very exposed mirador overlooking the Eume river.

View attachment 406451

Before our descent down to the same river. There's the remnants of an old bridge in there somewhere.
View attachment 406452

Our first view of the Monestary.
View attachment 406453

And a few once there (wearing the obligatory masks).
View attachment 406454
View attachment 406455
View attachment 406456

We then cycled alongside the river to return back to base. Salmon (in season), trout and some unknown, to Martin, species abound. (He can't fish in rivers outside of the Murcia region with his licence, so no stress!).
View attachment 406457
View attachment 406458
View attachment 406459

I had a very strong feeling of knowing that place, it must be 20 years since we visited that monastery and had completely forgotten about it We toured along that coast with an old caravan that I got off my dad in 1996, no electricity, gas lights! I have similar photo's in an album in storage at my daughters, been digital since 2002 and we got rid of the van in 2003.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Great photos.

Thanks. We were recommended this place, and so happy we were.

Unfortunately, the next place recommended, Cathedral Beach, (in English), may be within the quarantine area. We're going to check it out later today.

If it is, it's a good excuse to come back again another year.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just had a look on google maps and there’s two ways in, looks like one is a track, if you come from cariño it’s a tarmac road and there are large motorhomes In the carpark on the pictures By the lighthouse..👍🏼
looks bleak but nice in sunny weather..

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just had a look on google maps and there’s two ways in, looks like one is a track, if you come from cariño it’s a tarmac road and there are large motorhomes In the carpark on the pictures By the lighthouse..👍🏼
looks bleak but nice in sunny weather..

You're thinking my way, I like it 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back