Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I only had the car we would go somewhere in it using my electric cool box on the rear seat to keep drinks and food cool. However I now have a gas fridge in The van but it cannot be filled too much as the air must circulate more, so I have come up with the bright idea of sticking the cool box back in the garage, to carry the vegetables etc. Only thing is that it runs all the time and I do not know the rating of the current it consumes, it doesn't say on it. Anybody got an idea as to what it runs at. obviously it does not worry me about driving but the standing overnight is when it might run down my batteries (3 X 90) The gas usage on the heating and fridge is a bit high so I might drop the temperature a bit in the fridge and need the free space around the edges to get it working better.
I used a bottle and a half of gas running the fridge and lowered heating in the van whilst in Europe last week and found very few places that sold Autogas and the price is much higher there than here as well for the ones I saw (always going the other way on a dual carriageway) Do these foreign people do the same as our motorway services and charge loads more on the Main roads, not even auto-routes? I filled diesel in a little supermarket off the beaten track for 1.22 euro and the main roads were a load more. at 1.38 or so, the Luxembourg price was 1.01 euro.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a cool box, use it to take food back and forth between house and storage. We got back to storage last month, moved car, started no trouble socket in boot is live when engine off, within a couple of minutes the car battery, reasonably new, was flat as a pancake, had to jump start car from the van. Fortunately had handbook with us to tell me how to do it safely. We had our fridge in the old van chock full beer, food, baby's bottles andit worked fine on gas, also only once had a problem filling up with LPG, in France, otherwise found it ok in France spain and Portugal favourable prices too, think you may have been unlucky.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends on the size of the cool box a small one the size of a picnic cool box approx 2 amps we have a big one thats about 3 times the size of the small ones that takes 4 amps. You could just run it during the day and turn it off at night when it's cooler.

Don't know where you have been going for your Autogas, we have filled up in Holland, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Greece, Spain & Portugal. Holland about the same price as the UK everywhere else cheaper Belgium less than 30p Lt., and that was only in September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
What about getting a decent "normal" coolbox and some ice-packs. Get two sets of ice packs so you can re-freeze one set in the motorhome fridge and then swap them over each morning. The packs don't take up much room in your freezer compartment and you won't have to worry about the electric usage on the vegetable coolbox.

If you use a smart phone, try some of the Apps for finding LPG. FindLPG and and myLPG.eu are useful but not always accurate. I tend to keep and eye on the big price boards as you approach a fuel station and if they have a price much cheaper than the others it's usually for LPG (GPL) although sometimes it's for RED Diesel but you can usually see that by the time you've slowed down a bit.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have never had a problem getting Autogas in France, and it has always been cheaper than in the UK. Many of the larger supermarket filling stations have it. The easiest one is the Carrefour filling station at Cite Europe. We always try to buy our diesel from supermarkets too. When we were in France last month we never paid more than the equivalent of £1.08 per litre for diesel, so cheaper than where we live.

I don't understand your point about the fridge. Ours works fine, especially this time of year where the weather outside is cold and it is often very full. Same with the freezer.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Sorry to tell you this but you obviously didn't know - veg does not actually need to be kept in a fridge, same as eggs don't either. In the dark, with air circulating round the veg - and NOT in polythene bags.

We do keep salady things in the fridge, but ordinary fresh veg is in a material shopping bag, in the underbed locker, nice and airy and dark. Haven't managed to poison anyone yet.

Hardly any of us would be alive now - if a fridge was essential to keep anything in ! My mom never had one until 1967!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fuel is always sky high on the French toll roads & motorways. Was around 1,45€ litre for diesel when I came back in september.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back