Converting a pop up to a high top? (1 Viewer)

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has tried to convert a pop top to a permanent high top. Reanon being I've heard the insulation on the pop top is pretty much like a tent when the pop is up. Sounds pretty cold to me!
Any one got an idea of ball park figures for making the change to a toyota hiace or similar size vehicle.
Many thanks

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you don't already have one probably a lot cheaper and easier to but a high top in the first place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
If you don't already have one probably a lot cheaper and easier to but a high top in the first place
I thought that but anted to ask all the same :)
I guess I should be asking how bad is the insulation on pop tops?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I am a but confused here, does the pop top you want to convert have 2 sleeping areas, how many berths do you need?
If you want to convert it to a high top then don't elevate the pop top and it will be warmer, a pop top with the top down will be similar to a high top.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I am a but confused here, does the pop top you want to convert have 2 sleeping areas, how many berths do you need?
If you want to convert it to a high top then don't elevate the pop top and it will be warmer, a pop top with the top down will be similar to a high top.
Sorry, my bad.
I only need it for myself and my yorkie so a 2 berth would do. I can understand the pop up will be down when sleeping, just a but cautious for heating the van during the day. I've no experience with them Im afraid.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Depending on the price of the van it would be waste of money converting it, just leave it down all the time apart from summer especially as you have another sleeping area, if it doesn't leak then just leave it as it is.
Is it a warm van with the pop top down? Because if is isn't then the rest of the insulation is not very good and it would be best just swapping the van.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
One big advantage with pop tops is that you can get under most height barriers.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Search for Reimo roofs . I looked earlier this year but the cost wasn't too bad ex-factory , about 500ā‚¬ but it was the transporting it which was going to cost the most.https://www.reimo.com/en/G-campervan_conversions_shop/good-roofs_for_camper_vans/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Just wondering if you are cooking during the day, or jsut want to have a bit of space to stand up....does having the pop up seriously change the temperature in the van? Or is it barely noticeable?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Just wondering if you are cooking during the day, or jsut want to have a bit of space to stand up....does having the pop up seriously change the temperature in the van? Or is it barely noticeable?

If its cold and you have the pop top up it will seriously change the temperature, its only a bit of canvas like a tent.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi BY the pop top in your size vehicle would be a lot more desirable .......having said that you can buy fiberglass tops for around Ā£1000 ....easy enough to cut out hole and fit but again I would recommend buying a van that already has a high roof fitted

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
You don't say what vehicle you are considering converting from pop-top to high-top. If it's a VW T4, T5 or T6 with a Reimo pop-top or one with the same size roof aperture then changing to a high-top should be quite feasible. I've converted five VWs with high-tops, all but one with a Reimo roof and believe that the reinforcing frame in the aperture is the same for either styles of roof. The vehicle in my avatar is NOT a Reimo roof, it's a factory high-top LWB VW T5.

Rod

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you want a high top van, buy that in the first place. It has its advantages, so try it and see if you like it.

Don't waste a good campervan with a proper elevating roof by sticking a high top on it.

In 10 years of ownership we put the roof up when we wanted to. Only in sub-zero conditions we slept with the roof closed, and stayed warm enough with the heating off. In hot weather the canvas sides are a huge benefit and make it easier to sleep without a fan. It never leaked even in heavy rain storms.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
If you want a high top van, buy that in the first place. It has its advantages, so try it and see if you like it.

Don't waste a good campervan with a proper elevating roof by sticking a high top on it.

In 10 years of ownership we put the roof up when we wanted to. Only in sub-zero conditions we slept with the roof closed, and stayed warm enough with the heating off. In hot weather the canvas sides are a huge benefit and make it easier to sleep without a fan. It never leaked even in heavy rain storms.

Excellent post (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We found that rhe pop top was fine down to about 10C but we then bought a silver screen. Cost about Ā£150 and fixes with a bungee round the pop top. Sits inside the overhanging roof so keeps the canvas dry also if there is driving rain. This made a big difference.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back