Free Member
Feb 26, 2021
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Coacherhome
Exp
Ex Newbie
I have just purchased a 10m 37 seater coach for conversion. I have previously converted a 12m ex-National Express Coach into race car transporter and motorhome, but that was 12 years ago. When we converted it we drove to the local DVLA office where they inspected it and re-registered it and classified it and then we drove to local VOSA site for appropriate MOT... all simple.

This time, I have been emailing and calling DVSA & DVLA and both give conflicting info and advise and differing advice on every occasion, so my mind is shot.

All I want to go is re-class the Coach as a Motorhome and get a Class 4 MOT, exempt the tacho and not have speed limiter at 56mph. It will be 100% living but some how DVLA seem to think it will be a Lorry. I spoke to RV dealers and they say RV's are over 11Kgs on LPGV and Class 4 MOT and Motorhome...

Help... what should it be classed as, what MOT... as no option form from Coach to then re-register as Motorhome... surely with the upsurge in Motorhomes conversions and Staycations DLVA & DVSA can get together and sort this out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
After reclassification the tax class will be PHGV..... £165pa regardless of weight.
MOT will be class 4
Driving licence class C1 up to 7500kg gross or C (old HGV) if Heavier.
DVLA decide if its a motorhome on 2 criteria.
Internal fixtures and fittings and external appearance.
There is a pictorial list of what can and can't be converted on the gov website

OP
OP
Well Miffed

Well Miffed

Free Member
Feb 26, 2021
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Coacherhome
Exp
Ex Newbie
Hi Pappajohn, thanks for that. On the can can't converted list, it says minibus... but its a minicoach.. same thing yes :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it isn't on the list I'm afraid you bought a pup.
You can still legally convert it but it will remain classed as a coach with coach MOT and tax and of course a D class licence (bus/coach)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have just purchased a 10m 37 seater coach for conversion. I have previously converted a 12m ex-National Express Coach into race car transporter and motorhome, but that was 12 years ago. When we converted it we drove to the local DVLA office where they inspected it and re-registered it and classified it and then we drove to local VOSA site for appropriate MOT... all simple.

This time, I have been emailing and calling DVSA & DVLA and both give conflicting info and advise and differing advice on every occasion, so my mind is shot.

All I want to go is re-class the Coach as a Motorhome and get a Class 4 MOT, exempt the tacho and not have speed limiter at 56mph. It will be 100% living but some how DVLA seem to think it will be a Lorry. I spoke to RV dealers and they say RV's are over 11Kgs on LPGV and Class 4 MOT and Motorhome...

Help... what should it be classed as, what MOT... as no option form from Coach to then re-register as Motorhome... surely with the upsurge in Motorhomes conversions and Staycations DLVA & DVSA can get together and sort this out.
Take a look at other threads on here around trying to get PVC re registered as motorhome, madness, usually ends up as a Light goods with windows, cant help you with your project but good luck you obviously know what you are doing. 👏👏👏

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the classification you have needs changing to Motor Caravan not motorhome ( no motorhome class )

OP
OP
Well Miffed

Well Miffed

Free Member
Feb 26, 2021
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Coacherhome
Exp
Ex Newbie
But this is where all the complication comes it... It cant be a Motor Caravan as DVLA says its a Lorry... I have spent 5 days speaking to DVLA & DVSA and all conflicting. Once it is converted it cant be a classed as a Coach as it does not have the seats, and only have Class C licence, and MOT for Coach is nightmare, plus will need 6 weekly check.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Problem with DVLA every time you ask a question you will get a different answer, they all interpret the rules as they see them.
It was easy when they had local offices but not any more.
One member years ago wanted to uprate over 3500kg local office bod said no, you can't do that.
I told him to go back, he walked out with a new tax disc for HGV and his log book would be posted to him.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry your splitting hairs but accurate 😜
May be splitting hairs but if they ask for MH it will not be done on the other hand ask to change to MC puts a whole different light on it 👍 .If it was mine I would convert it - pics before and after, one showing front number plate down one side,another rear NP down opp side.Same pics when done then 3/4 of inside. Make sure you show all DVLA requirements.
Edit someone on here will post a link to DVLA requirements,

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
May be splitting hairs but if they ask for MH it will not be done on the other hand ask to change to MC puts a whole different light on it 👍 .If it was mine I would convert it - pics before and after, one showing front number plate down one side,another rear NP down opp side.Same pics when done then 3/4 of inside. Make sure you show all DVLA requirements.
Edit someone on here will post a link to DVLA requirements,
Problem is Terry, its not on DVLAs list of acceptable vehicles for convertion.
Minibus, yes.
Full coach, no.

Deleted User
Very difficult to get anything re-registered by the DVLA as a Motor Caravan at the moment. The problem is that in their view it has to look like a Motor Caravan when in traffic but they won't give you any examples of what it should look like, or definition or guidelines or measurement method. It seems it is simply down to the opinion of the staff member dealing with the application.
If the internal features match what is required you will get a letter from them stating that fact and pointing out it can still be used as a Motor Caravan even though the V5 has not been changed to reflect it.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You probably need to change body type to van or box first on V5 , Then do conversion to Motor caravan and send in V5 ( that has been returned to you with body type amended) with application paperwork and pics as on Gov site , to apply for motorcaravan which you probably wont get , but will get " van with windows " . The Gov website says this does not prevent you using as motor caravan and having class 4 MOT . Just be sure you don't get putting quad bikes , motorcycles etc inside as that is "living van and HGV MOT .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The coach I did was a 27 seater,and no problems registering from coach to MC --- I know they have changed over the last 2 years 😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Problem is Terry, its not on DVLAs list of acceptable vehicles for convertion.
Minibus, yes.
Full coach, no.
Correct:
1614423690094.png

You probably need to change body type to van or box first on V5 , Then do conversion to Motor caravan and send in V5 ( that has been returned to you with body type amended) with application paperwork and pics as on Gov site , to apply for motorcaravan which you probably wont get , but will get " van with windows " . The Gov website says this does not prevent you using as motor caravan and having class 4 MOT . Just be sure you don't get putting quad bikes , motorcycles etc inside as that is "living van and HGV MOT .
That is my take on it too ... once it's registered as one of those on the list it would then fall into the category of vehicles which the DVLA will consider changing to Motor Caravan.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I agree but did not have any problems changing it 😁
Perhaps change from coach to minibus ? Then covert?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& as I asked before if you offered up one of everything on that list converted & the dvla declined for whatever reason to change to " motor caravan"they would change it to " van with windows"
So how can a " van with windows " ,which is last on the list, be changed to a " van with windows " when it is already registered as one? It really isn't fit for purpose.

Deleted User
& as I asked before if you offered up one of everything on that list converted & the dvla declined for whatever reason to change to " motor caravan"they would change it to " van with windows"
So how can a " van with windows " ,which is last on the list, be changed to a " van with windows " when it is already registered as one? It really isn't fit for purpose.
To confuse matters even more. A Van with windows used as a commercial van has one set of speed limits and a Van with windows converted internally to Motor caravan and being used as a Motor caravan has a different set of speed limits.

Mar 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
But this is where all the complication comes it... It cant be a Motor Caravan as DVLA says its a Lorry... I have spent 5 days speaking to DVLA & DVSA and all conflicting. Once it is converted it cant be a classed as a Coach as it does not have the seats, and only have Class C licence, and MOT for Coach is nightmare, plus will need 6 weekly check.
Hi
I know i'm coming into this conversation a bit late but under the private usage you are suggesting this would be exempt from 6-12 week inspections set by the Traffic Commissioners office as you are only using it for private usage only not hire and reward that applies to a public service vehicle licence holders.
If the plated weight is 7500kgs or less then your C class driving licence shouldn't be a problem but if over this then you may have issues driving it without taking an additional test. This is why Winnebagos etc in the UK etc tend to stop at this weight.
Hope this helps.

Mar 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
The same applies for tacho usage it would be exempt under private usage but have it removed as numerous police officers are not aware of this. You will then need to complete a tacho exemption form each time you present it for MOT. The speed liniter is a seperate issue and you may have to keep that and ensure it is sealed in accordance with regs. This is part of the MOT test, even as a class 4 when fitted at this weight.

Jul 14, 2021
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Converted coach
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, this maybe a little late but, the body class will alway stay as coach / bus etc unless it is exactly the same as on the dvla list. You will need to submit a notifiable alteration to the dvsa once the conversion is done. Send the form and photos and it will be removed from the PSV jurisdiction list. It will now be a class 4 mot, Tacho and speed limiter exempt. Weigh it on a public weigh bridge, Then send the weigh bridge ticket and photos of the conversion to the dvla and change the tax class to phgv. Anything over 7.5 ton will be class 2 or class c licence.
cheers.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi, this maybe a little late but, the body class will alway stay as coach / bus etc unless it is exactly the same as on the dvla list. You will need to submit a notifiable alteration to the dvsa once the conversion is done. Send the form and photos and it will be removed from the PSV jurisdiction list. It will now be a class 4 mot, Tacho and speed limiter exempt. Weigh it on a public weigh bridge, Then send the weigh bridge ticket and photos of the conversion to the dvla and change the tax class to phgv. Anything over 7.5 ton will be class 2 or class c licence.
cheers.
Welcome to the forum. Interesting machine you have in your profile pic. What the story there? Looks like a great bit of kit.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
6 weekly check as far is only a requirement for operators licence purposes or at least on lorries it is as youf isn't on an o licence no need to do them
Have you tried talking to Northern raider he has done something similar albeit with a smaller bus

Jul 14, 2021
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Converted coach
Exp
Since 2010
Welcome to the forum. Interesting machine you have in your profile pic. What the story there? Looks like a great bit of kit.
Hi, thank you. it’s a 2001 neoplan starliner, 4 berth fixed but will sleep 8, travels 8. I’ve had 2 American rv’s in the past, I hated driving them, not because they were lh drive, they were slow, hard ride and ridiculously thirsty. So i converted the starliner, she is a 15.2 litre Mercedes twin turbo v8. 3kw solar panels and inverter, totally self sufficient.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
cheers.
Hi & welcome. Nice job you have done there.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi, thank you. it’s a 2001 neoplan starliner, 4 berth fixed but will sleep 8, travels 8. I’ve had 2 American rv’s in the past, I hated driving them, not because they were lh drive, they were slow, hard ride and ridiculously thirsty. So i converted the starliner, she is a 15.2 litre Mercedes twin turbo v8. 3kw solar panels and inverter, totally self sufficient.
Any more pics?

Jul 14, 2021
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Converted coach
Exp
Since 2010
Any more pics?
I will put some up on the introduce myself forum tomorrow, I don’t want to highjack well miffed’s thread.
It does seam confusing regarding changing the paperwork but it’s quite a simple process if you stay with the rules.
cheers.

Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Neoplan skyliner
cheers.
Hi
Is this what you had too do?What is the insurance costs and road tax?I bought a neoplan skyliner double decker and am looking to do the same any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Marc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back