Contaminated fuel!!!! Not wrong fuel put in! Be aware!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
On friday I refilled my van with 43 litres of diesel at my local Tesco garage and drove approximately 400 mts to my home, as I arrived home the fuel filter warning light illuminated just before I turned the engine off. Yesterday I had to move the van, when I started the engine the panel warning lit up with the Fuel Filter Warning! I shut down and checked to see what was wrong - handbook said bleed fuel filter, which I did, and was presented with a bottleful of very dirty fuel! Been to the Tesco garage, and although the duty manager initially said that they had had a few complaints, and took my information, later comunication with head office denies evererything!
Today! Through my insurance company I contacted AA breakdown, they sent a man, he took a fuel sample directly from the fuel tank, declared it contaminated which could only have come from my last refuel! He personally took the sample to the Tesco garage to tell them of the problem. Tesco say there is no problem with their system! AA man's comment to me on return 'strange how many diesel pumps are locked off!'
Now my problem is to get this sorted, if I had mistakenly put the wrong fuel in the AA would have sorted it, but because I had put in contaminated diesel they could only transport my van to a garage of my choice! Can't be sorted at the roadside!! So this now leaves me with a van I can't run, a tank full - 95lts of contaminated diesel fuel £140, plus a bill of approximately £400 to sort it!
It all comes down to proof, and as far as Tesco is concerned, it has nothing to do with them!!! They know exactly where, when and how much I put in! Not the first time our local Tesco garage has had this problem!

Not a good day!:mad:
:madder:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
On friday I refilled my van with 43 litres of diesel at my local Tesco garage and drove approximately 400 mts to my home, as I arrived home the fuel filter warning light illuminated just before I turned the engine off. Yesterday I had to move the van, when I started the engine the panel warning lit up with the Fuel Filter Warning! I shut down and checked to see what was wrong - handbook said bleed fuel filter, which I did, and was presented with a bottleful of very dirty fuel! Been to the Tesco garage, and although the duty manager initially said that they had had a few complaints, and took my information, later comunication with head office denies evererything!
Today! Through my insurance company I contacted AA breakdown, they sent a man, he took a fuel sample directly from the fuel tank, declared it contaminated which could only have come from my last refuel! He personally took the sample to the Tesco garage to tell them of the problem. Tesco say there is no problem with their system! AA man's comment to me on return 'strange how many diesel pumps are locked off!'
Now my problem is to get this sorted, if I had mistakenly put the wrong fuel in the AA would have sorted it, but because I had put in contaminated diesel they could only transport my van to a garage of my choice! Can't be sorted at the roadside!! So this now leaves me with a van I can't run, a tank full - 95lts of contaminated diesel fuel £140, plus a bill of approximately £400 to sort it!
It all comes down to proof, and as far as Tesco is concerned, it has nothing to do with them!!! They know exactly where, when and how much I put in! Not the first time our local Tesco garage has had this problem!

Not a good day!:mad:
:madder:

First send a letter demanding all your losses. If no joy,

Personally I'd be optimistic on this one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If it’s a case of draining the tank off, I’d be tempted to take a Jerry can of diesel from another station with you and go disconnect the fuel line on the Tesco forecourt and then reconnect it afteremptying and fill up with your Jerry can and just say that you are giving them back their contaminated fuel.
You’d have to write off claiming your forty off quid though.

Jun 18, 2018
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600sl
Exp
since 2019
Had exactly the same issue with Tesco's fuel. Wrote a sign for letter to head office with proof of purchase, garage receipt for new filter etc. Followed up with a phone call to head of customer relations. Got fuel cost, garage bill paid and a gift token from them. Keep your cool, keep at them and they will sort it out. They hate bad publicity. Hope you get it sorted

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Photograph the closed off pumps ASAP.

Wear a disguise and go back and ask why the pumps are closed.

Make a note of which pumps are closed - ie their numbers. There will be more than one tank but only one will be contaminated which is why knowing which pumps are shut is important. During any future court case you can seek disclosure of which pumps serve what tank.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
They did exactly the same locally until the local press got involved and loads of customers got in touch. Tesco paid out without fuss then
I think this might be the Branksome Tesco, which was closed for months whilst they removed the contaminated tanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It is the same as any other fuel sold in every other fuel station in UK And you are fully aware of that.

Stop :reel:

And if the storage tank is contaminated the fuel is contaminated no matter who the retailer is.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
And if the storage tank is contaminated the fuel is contaminated no matter who the retailer is.
Unfortunately it happens. The subsequent testing made my previous employers a lot of money, especially the big one where cars broke down all over south east England. Someone in the terminal mistakenly dosed the gasoline with diesel anti foaming additive which destroyed the oxygen sensors. Didn’t matter who sold it - it came out of the same tanks as always

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The Branksome Tesco contamination did not spread to any other filling stations.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Tesco’s in Orpington bypass ( Sevenoaks way) is closed changing their tanks 😂😂

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Why is always Tesco Fuel that hits the headlines/, that last fiasco caused problems for many motorists, I think it even damaged engines if I recall correctly. I have to say I for one never forgot that issue, and have never filled up at any Tesco, Sainsburys at a push, as I haven't heard of any historic problems with their fuels.
I still wont pay BP Prices though.;)
LES

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I remember a friend who bought a petrol station and converted it to a car sales. We had a digger in to remove the old tanks, and had to dispose of many cubic meters of contaminated earth and gravel, where they had leaked. My friend sold that place within 10 years at a big profit. The new owners knocked it down to build flats. The empty site was inspected and new owners had to dig out way more from further contamination left by more tanks not on the plans. Those apparently fell to bits rather than lift out whole. Nasty stuff contaminated fuel and soil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back