Constant water supply (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2017
Hampshire Coast
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy
Exp
New
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but there is a lot of information to plough through.
I have a 45 litre tank which can drain quickly when used for a couple of showers. If there is a tap assigned to my pitch, is there such a thing that allows the tank to be filled automatically via a hose as the water is used?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can certainly get things like that for caravans, not sure if you can use them for MHs but I don't see why not, have a shuftie on Ebay etc.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If the van was set up for that feature it would be called something like a city water connection and RV thing I think but also on some Europeans, it just disables the pump and supplies pressure straight to the taps.

The other way would be to have a Whale water pump and aqua roll with the automatic fill option, and then control the submersible pump, ours has something similar but as we never use it I realise I don't actually know how it works:LOL:.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you have a pressure-controlled pump, you could add a mains water connector directly into the pressure side of your system with a a PRV. and isolator.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Beat me to it. A tee-piece and isolating valve would do it.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a showering technique to use less water. Soak yourself then turn off the shower. Now apply the soap and scrub then rinse off. Same applies for a shampoo but always use the minimum amount of shampoo so there isn't too much to rinse off.
The main thing is not to shower under a constantly running flow as you might at home. :)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you have a pressure-controlled pump, you could add a mains water connector directly into the pressure side of your system with a a PRV. and isolator.
By PRV do you mean Pressure Reducing Valve, hopefully as mains water could be up to 50psi or more and not sure that a lot of motorhome plumbing could take that.

Martin

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, pressure reducing valve. Mains water pressure could tax the joints otherwise. I think I've seen a kit specifically intended for this purpose. Saves messing with Aquaroll-type stuff.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Something like this would do it.

http://leisurelines.net/mains-water-fill-connection-for-4029-p.asp

Tee it into existing pipes after the non-return valve. That way it will just supply your taps, but won't fill or empty the tank. It has a pressure reducing valve.

If you want to fill the tank automatically, you'll need a level sensor and cutoff valve. It can be done, but I think most RVs with 'city water' just go for the tap supply option.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This facility is pretty much standard in American Motorhomes. Known as a "City Water" connection. When you are hooked up to city water and your waste is directed straight out its a revelation. And no pump noise, and no shouts of "OI" if the taps on longer than 4 seconds :D .

With a ten gallon water heater the showers with this setup are long and strong :)

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I have a 45 litre tank which can drain quickly when used for a couple of showers.

We use about 15liters each on the soak/soap/rinse method so a 45 litre tank would only last a day with toilet flushes and the odd kitchen tap use for drinking water and washing a spoon or two.

It’s quite a small tank that. What van is it in? We have a 75litre tank then the hot in the Truma boiler holds 10litres so 85 total and we could just about scrape 2 days normal use with that.

Can’t connect ours to a permanent feed but if on a serviced site it only takes a couple of mins to top off the tank with a hose pipe. Not really worth all the effort of building a perminant feed unit for us.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If on a serviced pitch, there are probably some showers available with unlimited water and waste.
If there is any chance of the tap being perceived as being communal, you can be pretty sure that someone will disconnect you the moment you're lathered up!
BTW: you may also need a board to alert of the trip hazard!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
15L seems a lot for a shower when you turn it on/off etc ... are you enjoying yourself in there toooooooo much???? :D

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Beat me to it. A tee-piece and isolating valve would do it.
it woiuld if you want your water heater to leak most water heater are limited to 30psi some far lower so you would need a presure reducing valve as most towns mains will exceed that especially over night

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We have a city connection on our current van and it was also on the N&B Flair we had previously. Basically connect the end of a hose into the hozelock connection and turn a handle which shut off the supply from the fresh water tank to opened the flow to the motorhome pipework via a pressure reduction valve. I think I used it once on the N&B just to give it a try. The tanks are so big on these vans their is very little need for them unless you are staying put for a long time on one pitch. It was spec'd on the Morelo for me as I would have not bothered with it.

I think a retrofit would be quite hard. I do remember seeing a plate which fitted onto the filling point which shut a valve on it when it seen a back pressure. However, most tanks have an overflow so not sure how that would work, unless you fitted a valve to close the overflow, issue then would be pulling a vacuum as you empty the tank. I'm sure there must be a way, someone will have a solution.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Had one on the RV, hose blew off!! Fortunately the RV water service bay was a stainless steel self draining affair. The current Flair has a city water connection too but putting the connection inside the service bay which has direct access to the double floor bothers me after my previous experience so I don't use it. If you do install one make the connection outside in case the hozelock or hose blow up!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back