Aug 31, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Considering one..
Exp
Total Newbit!
Hi all :)

I'm Ben. I've just been made redundant and am in the midst of moving my side hustle WFH business (freelance writing) to being my main business.

I'm giving some serious thought to moving out of my houseshare and going full time in a motorhome; however I'm a total newbie (never owned one before); so I'm in my research phase!

Any pointers/thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated; I'm currently reading a lot of the posts, but will probably pop up with specific questions as I learn more.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome!
Will you be full-timing alone or with others……? :unsure:

OP
OP
Ben Av

Ben Av

Free Member
Aug 31, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Considering one..
Exp
Total Newbit!
Alone most of the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Your research should help you decide on what sort of layout you (think) you might need - but get to see as many ‘vans as you can…..possibly hire one for a while…..?

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good Morning Hello GIF by LA Kings

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
HI Ben, quite a number here already do as you propose, so you are in the right place for help. Unfortunately, you have chosen a time when motorhomes are in short (ish) supply, so prices are all a bit higher than they were last year. There are still plenty for sale though. Full timers need a decent payload and a fixed bed. So make those two items your starting point (y)

Make sure you ask plenty of questions here before parting with your cash. Best of luck, and welcome to the fun (y)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I full time on my own. I do cheat though as most of the time I am parked up at a lovely spot at work, plugged in to their electric and piggy backing on their wifi so I've got it kinda easy.

Are you looking at paying for a long term pitch on a camp site or are you hoping to 'wildcamp' and stop in various different places for free?

Summer in a van is easy, it gets a bit tougher during our winters but still doable. I was surprised at how quick I took to living fulltime in my van and have absolutely no desire to start house hunting again.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Ben and welcome to the Fun!
:welcome3:

Are you planning on spending winters in the UK? If so, I’d recommend going for a fully winterised van - which generally means a German make.

If you are fulltiming alone then I don’t think a fixed bed is an essential. One that drops down over the cab in an A-class means you can have a very good living layout in a reasonably short van - I’m thinking older Hymers and Burstners here.

Budget is another consideration. You will get far more for your money (and probably better build quality) in an older used van.

Ask away with as many questions as you like. (y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
:pink:
Our fully winterised van is Italian. could do without the cooked casette in the winter though. Still I suppose it stops it freezing in icy weather. Insurance may be your biggest problem as very few will give full time cover, and know in at least one case the van has to be under a certain age.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I'm Ben. I've just been made redundant and am in the midst of moving my side hustle WFH business (freelance writing) to being my main business.

I'm giving some serious thought to moving out of my houseshare and going full time in a motorhome; however I'm a total newbie (never owned one before); so I'm in my research phase!

Any pointers/thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated; I'm currently reading a lot of the posts, but will probably pop up with specific questions as I learn more.
cheap decent one here

<Broken link removed>

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Ben, welcome to the FUN!!

We did the same as you last year. Sold our place in Surrey and bought a van that met ticked all our boxes.

Like you, we were new to this. We spent 18 months visiting dealers, visiting NEC exhibitions, looking, checking and scrutinising vans, putting a line through those that did not match what we thought we would need.

I am 6'3, so shower headroom was a must, as was permanent beds, as was thw van being fully winterised (as mentioned above it is need if spending winter in a van. We were in Cornwall for 4 months, so needed it!). We intend spending 365 days in the van for the next 5 or 6 years so had to think of everything including, payload, build quality, towing ability, ride comfort etc. these were all part of the process and consideration.

If you have a few things that you really need in or from your van, it is a good starting point. But don't rush, be studious, consider what you need as a must, extras can always be added. We have added towbar, full air suspension and auto levellers, but only after trying the van without for 11 months.

Lastly, enjoy the journey. Searching for a new home on wheels is fun, honest!

Dave

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I would suggest that insulation is a major importance and therefore a continental van with thicker insulation would be preferable.

Also decent sized waste tanks and garage storage too. A decent oven to cook proper food too.

Fixed bed as others have said.

Cheers James

OP
OP
Ben Av

Ben Av

Free Member
Aug 31, 2021
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Considering one..
Exp
Total Newbit!
Thanks all - a really heartwarming welcome :)

I think you should check out space and storage in you quest for the correct layout. Your choice will be greatly enhanced if you have a C1 license (means you can drive vehicles over 3.5 tons). This would be a huge factor for me if I was a full timer.
Phil

Thanks Phil - I think I may have this grandfathered on my license, will check.

HI Ben, quite a number here already do as you propose, so you are in the right place for help. Unfortunately, you have chosen a time when motorhomes are in short (ish) supply, so prices are all a bit higher than they were last year. There are still plenty for sale though. Full timers need a decent payload and a fixed bed. So make those two items your starting point (y)

Make sure you ask plenty of questions here before parting with your cash. Best of luck, and welcome to the fun (y)

Thanks Jim, will do

I full time on my own. I do cheat though as most of the time I am parked up at a lovely spot at work, plugged in to their electric and piggy backing on their wifi so I've got it kinda easy.

Are you looking at paying for a long term pitch on a camp site or are you hoping to 'wildcamp' and stop in various different places for free?

Summer in a van is easy, it gets a bit tougher during our winters but still doable. I was surprised at how quick I took to living fulltime in my van and have absolutely no desire to start house hunting again.

More wildcamping; my parents are happy for me to park on their drive as and when. They also have an office/warehouse for storage space, which they're happy for me to use. So my tentative plan is to head off and pitch up elsewhere, but return to the laundry machine/house when needed.

Hi Ben and welcome to the Fun!
:welcome3:

Are you planning on spending winters in the UK? If so, I’d recommend going for a fully winterised van - which generally means a German make.

If you are fulltiming alone then I don’t think a fixed bed is an essential. One that drops down over the cab in an A-class means you can have a very good living layout in a reasonably short van - I’m thinking older Hymers and Burstners here.

Budget is another consideration. You will get far more for your money (and probably better build quality) in an older used van.

Ask away with as many questions as you like. (y)

Thanks Maz - will do :) Yes, planning on spending winters in the UK, probably more South West/Wales area (friends/family in area). Thankyou, all noted re the bed & German make.

Hi Ben, welcome to the FUN!!

We did the same as you last year. Sold our place in Surrey and bought a van that met ticked all our boxes.

Like you, we were new to this. We spent 18 months visiting dealers, visiting NEC exhibitions, looking, checking and scrutinising vans, putting a line through those that did not match what we thought we would need.

I am 6'3, so shower headroom was a must, as was permanent beds, as was thw van being fully winterised (as mentioned above it is need if spending winter in a van. We were in Cornwall for 4 months, so needed it!). We intend spending 365 days in the van for the next 5 or 6 years so had to think of everything including, payload, build quality, towing ability, ride comfort etc. these were all part of the process and consideration.

If you have a few things that you really need in or from your van, it is a good starting point. But don't rush, be studious, consider what you need as a must, extras can always be added. We have added towbar, full air suspension and auto levellers, but only after trying the van without for 11 months.

Lastly, enjoy the journey. Searching for a new home on wheels is fun, honest!

Dave

Thanks Dave - Cornwall is a strong likelihood to go to for a lot of the time (big fan of Cornwall).

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
I and welcome 😀, it's great you have options, with the family support( drive way)... Sounds exciting, lots of research, great advice as always on here, definitely will save you many pennies in the long run :clap: ::bigsmile: enjoy your search

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are fulltiming alone then I don’t think a fixed bed is an essential. One that drops down over the cab in an A-class means you can have a very good living layout in a reasonably short van

Good point. Dropdown beds fall into the "fixed bed" bracket for us. We spent the best part of a year making a bed up each and every night by rearranging seats and cushions. Not to be recommended.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Ben

Do you own a house/Flat with/without a mortgage?

If so, do not sell it, for two reasons it should give you a rental income when on the road, and secondly it would be a fall-back position if full-timing did not suit, but if you sold now getting back into the market in a year might cost you lots.

I am not full-timing in a MH, but I did leave UK full-time to live in Poland, thankfully I kept the house and it has proved financial very profitable.

Geoff

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Hi and welcome, I'm nearly 4 years into ft, love it. Insurance is a big limitation if you want to be above board. I stay in the UK and find damp the biggest problem. As to lay-out think hard about how you will spend your time, what is important to you. Be clear about the reality of UK weather, don't just have the dream image of sitting in the sun outside.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof

Absolutely ask loads of questions!!! What these people don't know isn't worth knowing. Helped me massively with my first purchase.
Welcome from Cheshire east!! 🥳🥳

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back