Complete newbie with a couple of questions.... (1 Viewer)

baxlin

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
West Herts
Funster No
MH
Just interested
Exp
Not yet
Hi all,

I'm enjoying retirement, and am starting to think that maybe a motorhome might be a good idea, but I've just lost, through attaining age 70, driving licence groups C1 and D1. This means the max MAM weight I can drive is 3,500kg, that's all up weight, including fuel, water, passengers etc.

What would this restrict me to, please, with regard to type of motor home/camper van?

Second question, I note many vehicles are four berth, but only have two seat belted seats. What are the rules for number of passengers?

Apologies if these Q's are too basic, but thanks in anticipation.

Malcolm

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
If the MH has 2 belted seats then 2 people can travel. No extra passengers.
Our Ducato 6.3 m panel van conversion for 2 people is just below the weight limit when loaded. If you want anything bigger then you will be looking for a lightweight base such as Hymer

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
:pink:, I'm a newbie too, picked up our brand new motorhome three weeks ago. Regarding 3500 kg vehicles the important thing is payload. We have a 2 berth, 4 belted seat moho and our payload is 680kg, which is plenty for us. We actually got it weighed last week, fully loaded for a weekend away apart from food and it came in at 3220 with half a tank of fuel and half fresh water. If you search for the thread "Countdown" on here you will see that Mickey1 bought a new motorhome and found with just himself, fuel and water he was only left with 60kg payload! Don't always believe the manufacturer's payload claims.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You can reclaim the D1 if you want providing you can pass the heart stress test, 10 minutes on a treadmill basically and no history of heart problems

Peter

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
View attachment 154511
If the MH has 2 belted seats then 2 people can travel. No extra passengers.
Our Ducato 6.3 m panel van conversion for 2 people is just below the weight limit when loaded. If you want anything bigger then you will be looking for a lightweight base such as Hymer
Isn't that seat belts are only required on forward facing seats but if side or rear facing then more can travel.
The reason I'm saying this is because our style Exsis has many configurations and the ones that have forward facing seats have seat belts but rear or side facing don't

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Father in law has a Dethleffs Globetrotter 3 berth but only ever used for 2.
He is fully packed with 1/4 tank of water, Gaslow, solar, extra battery, awning, no bikes and no wife and set for 6 months away in the morning.
500kgs left ! or 335 after he has filled up with water and put the mother in law in there !

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
If you need 4 seatbelts get a van with 4 seatbelts, 3 point on forward or suitable rear facing seats. Our insurance, states we are insured to carry the number of people the van has seatbelts for. Wouldn't want my nearest and dearest travelling unsafely.
Have seen the damage that can be done in an accident where seatbelts were not worn, wouldn't wish it on anyone. The early Swift escapes had a lightweght chassis and a good payload, but you couldn't fit a towbar.
oops w2f Have fun looking and make sure you try the beds for size and the loo for comfort.

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi and welcome from Spain.

If you do decide to buy a motorhome you're in for the most exciting, interesting, confusing and frustrating time of your life. BUT once you've done it, and got it right :D you'll (hopefully) not regret it.

Upvote 0

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Welcome to Fun.

There are plenty on here without a C1 on their licence, myself included. Some on health grounds and some on age.

There are plenty of vehicles at 3.5T. We've just bought our first, a 6m PVC. We spent ages looking, weighing pros and cons of a PVC versus coach built. Our personal choice was a PVC. Check payloads, and get the right layout for you. I'm no expert but I would imagine at 3.5T, longer vehicles will generally have less payload than shorter ones. As with with many things in life, compromises will have to be made, just decide what's important to you.

Andy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back