Comfort renewal (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Just had my annual insurance renewal through for the motorhome.
Let me pick myself up off the floor.....£633.63 for exactly the same level of cover as last year which was £314.59

Double the premium.
No bumps, claims or endorsements to force such greed.

Appreciate that there's inflation and maybe a tax increase but that is totally excessive and a piss take in my eyes.

I've questioned this with them and they can't explain it but are looking into it and will respond as soon as.
not got that Friday feeling now :cry:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Comfort quotes seem to be going daft and been mentioned a lot on forums and facebook groups.
Waiting on my renewal from Safegurad, fingers crossed..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Let me pick myself up off the floor.....£633.63 for exactly the same level of cover as last year which was £314.59

Double the premium.

Appreciate that there's inflation and maybe a tax increase but that is totally excessive and a piss take in my eyes.

I've questioned this with them and they can't explain it but are looking into it and will respond as soon as.
... in the meantime ring Safeguard so you have something to compare it to ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Yes ring Safe Guard, this is what I intend to do when the Comfort renewal is due next year, heard this happening a lot with Comfort, seems they are not interested in client retention, even though you have not made any claims.
Maybe try and see what reducing your annual mileage offers up, we have no idea as yet as just got MH, but maybe overdid our mileage allowance at 10K per year, will have to wait and see how many miles we do.
Good luck

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Double the premium.

Blimey, that's a bit worrying! :(

We've been with Comfort for 7 years, and all has been fine - cover including continental breakdown has been similar to your existing premium. Ours isn't due for renewal until mid-summer, but interested to know the outcome for you.

Hope they come up with a sensible figure for you.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Double the premium.

They are just trying it on hoping you've forgotten how much you paid last year and simply renewing - common practise.
I'm expecting some 'discussions' when my renewal comes through as I've had a bump this year that must have cost them £5,000.
I quoted 8,000 mile last year and I'm just covered, with about 25 miles to spare. One of the first things they asked for after the accident was a photograph of the vans speedo/milage - be wary when specifying milage cover.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Renewed mine with comfort yesterday.
A whopping £5 increase over last year.
Did get a quote from safeguard but was over £200 more for similar cover!

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I'd been with Comfort non stop for 8 years and this year it increased from £360 (inc continental b/d) to almost £450. The reason? "It's a Ford Transit".

Safeguard £338 - no problem.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010

Dave is your insurance 'Full Timing'?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Renewed with Comfort back in September - renewal quote about the same as last year. Mentioned membership of a FB group and got a further 5% discount which knocked £12 off, bringing it down to £330 - very happy with that :party3:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'd been with Comfort non stop for 8 years and this year it increased from £360 (inc continental b/d) to almost £450. The reason? "It's a Ford Transit".

Safeguard £338 - no problem.

I went on their website for a quote a few days ago... Noticed it had a question. "Is the vehicle a Ford ". !!!!!!
Seems the Ford thefts may be having some effect..

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp

Our renewal with Comfort had a very similar increase - £8 over last year.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My Comfort insurance renewal for 2018 was £3.00 more than 2017. And that's for a Transit based vehicle. So I just renewed as before.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Never had any luck with Comfort with any of my vans, they have always been way above the Caravan Club. Current premium was 1100GBP more than the Caravan Club but covered that in another post. They also had this weird no claims issue which I never got my head around.

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I went on their website for a quote a few days ago... Noticed it had a question. "Is the vehicle a Ford ". !!!!!!
Seems the Ford thefts may be having some effect..

Only with Comfort. It didn't seem to be an issue with Safeguard or any of the others I went to for quotes.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I am going back with Comfort, reasonable price, SafeGaurd erm wont touch with barge pole, in fact will never contact them again, no explanation for refusal, put phone down when asked, had to phone back and ask another person why refusal, she was pleasant enough, but damage done.
However, if our happy to swop or go with SG or Cmfrt great. Maybe try Caravan Guard next year, hope there not part of Swinton's

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
interesting ... renewed with Comfort this month and the premium went down !!

happy days

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Paid £385 fully comp with comfort including breakdown cover for eu and up to 9 months travel in eu and option to drive any vehicle with 3rd party insurance so package seems reasonably priced

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I've gone with Comfort, Been with safeguard for a few year's. This year gone up £80.Asked them to match Comfort, No chance, By By Safeguard, Hello Comfort.

Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
I was with comfort and when the renewal came through it had only gone up by £5 but then was told green card was £23 a week for Morocco and £20 admin which meant the green card for 12 weeks would double the insurance price so went with Safeguard which was £100 more but included green card for a full year and breakdown cover which was compulsory and as I am with Nationwide did not really need but still worked out £200 cheaper

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
There does not seem to be any consistency in the quotation process from either company. We got a like for like quote from Comfort which was £337 and this compared with £277 which is the cost of renewal with Safeguard.

The Tincas

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I'm awaiting Comfort to call me back.
To be fair, the guy called me yesterday but I missed his call.
His message was that he had logged the complaint and would be in touch - so probably just a courtesy call.
I've been with Comfort for the past 3 years and each year, the increase has been minimal.
I've based it on 6000 miles pa and to also include legal assist and full breakdown cover - which is what I've had in previous years.
the only change ing policy was when I called them during the summer to change my address from No.4 to No.4a as we've moved house to our next door neighbours house on the same street.
they charged me £25.00 for the privilege of doing so, which was annoying at the time, but they did say that was an admin fee and would not affect the premium.
I mentioned this to Comfort yesterday morning and they said that should not be the reason for such an increase.
Will keep you all posted.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Comfort dont do no claims bonus so you cant reduce price with previously earned no claims

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
I've just had my renewal quote from Caravan Guard. £357, including European travel and breakdown etc. Up £10 from last year, which with the insurance tax increase from 10% to 12% is fine. Tried CM C, £260, plus UK breakdown £120+, plus eu breakdown, so not in the running.
2013 Bessacarr with 5000 miles pa.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Double the premium.

I thought that under the legislation that subject to the renewal circumstances being identical to the previous year with no claims , convictions, etc; then there was a finite amount that the premium couild be increased ? This is how they justify huge increases if changing mid-term

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I thought that under the legislation that subject to the renewal circumstances being identical to the previous year with no claims , convictions, etc; then there was a finite amount that the premium couild be increased ? This is how they justify huge increases if changing mid-term
That's the trouble Gus-Lopez, the change made mid term from house number 2 to 2A didn't affect the remainder of the year's price plus they confirmed at that time that it wouldn't affect the cost.
Will be interesting what excuse they come back with tomorrow - if they do that is!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back