EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Have purchased a combined detector for our 1993 Hymer B544 as it doesn't have one fitted.

Where's the best place to fit it? Our model has a kitchen at the rear and the drop down bed at the front over the cab. I'm thinking away from the kitchen and nearer the bed end.

Thanks

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Yes that makes sense try and place on the middle of the ceiling if you can as smoke detectors are to as effective close to a wall because of the dead air there.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Near the bed would be my choice but where it actually goes will depend on the availability of space. Smoke rises so a smoke alarm can be fitted on a ceiling but this isn't the best place for a carbon monoxide detector. With a combination detector you are probably going to have to compromise, somewhere around head height will work. With separate detectors the carbon monoxide one could ideally be fitted at the same height as the bed so it is level with where you are breathing when asleep. But I don't think you need to make it over complicated. Anywhere high up, not in a corner will do. :)

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Smoke rises so a smoke alarm can be fitted on a ceiling but this isn't the best place for a carbon monoxide detector.
Don't think it will matter that much john... co been a product of combustion will rise initally with the smoke anyway.. given the risk and the nature of the space i think the ceiling of the van would do for a detector like that with dual sensors..
As the op said away from the cooker to avoid been pestered by false alarms while cooking...
I've not seen a dual detector... do they alarm differently depending on which sensor has activated ?
Andy

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Carbon Monoxide is slightly lighter than air and diffuses evenly throughout the room, according to Nest who do a combined unit (I got one free with my home insurance). They go on to say:
“Also keep in mind not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up.”

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back