LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Problem with that Martin is your lounge will not be as big as it could have been, had you been speccing it yourself from new.
We looked at one with the larger lounge and Mrs funflair didn't like it, this way we get a larger garage, the bedroom doesn't feel claustrophobic and we have a couple of bedside drawers and someplace for a cup of tea and we can have a cuddle;)

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Agreed, it's a lovely van..

But I think the Motorhoming community have gone bonkers paying so much for something so old. 13 years old and nearly 50% the price of a house in some areas that will go up where the value of this will go down... I think we have all gone crazy... stir crazy and put ourselves at the mercy of dealers.

I'm sure whoever buys it will be happy....

Yes agree, but you can't take it with you, you have just forked out the price of a house on a van as well.
For someone renting their house as a holiday home or renting long term its a nice van, nicer quality than most of today's rubbish, even late 90,s Hymers area fetching nearly 20 grand.
The price is negotiable by the way, the figure will definitely have a 4 at the start, I know that from speaking to him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We looked at one with the larger lounge and Mrs funflair didn't like it, this way we get a larger garage, the bedroom doesn't feel claustrophobic and we have a couple of bedside drawers and someplace for a cup of tea and we can have a cuddle;)

Martin

Wow, we would have liked a smaller bed on our S820, bigger lounge, more worktop, you must have some junk in the garage Martin to want one bigger than standard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think some people could be put off by the lack of UK dealer representation, and yes you might think its a lot of money for a 13 year old van but just look at the prices in Germany.

Martin

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

Martin

And that is surely the best reason I’ve read in a long time for buying what you’ve bought Martin ! (y)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yes agree, but you can't take it with you, you have just forked out the price of a house on a van as well.
For someone renting their house as a holiday home or renting long term its a nice van, nicer quality than most of today's rubbish, even late 90,s Hymers area fetching nearly 20 grand.
The price is negotiable by the way, the figure will definitely have a 4 at the start, I know that from speaking to him.

I know, and the price of that is inflated in my opinion. I wanted a Hymer s790 initially but found in my opinion a superior van 6 years newer and couldn't justify buying something older than what I already owned.

The reason this van is so pricey is because there is a clear lack of quality used vans about. I just couldn't get my head round buying something older than what I have just because it was a superior van to what I had.

Whoever buys it will be getting a cracking van.... but tell someone you can buy a 2 year old van for less or in some cases even buy a van new for the price of that one and they would think you have gone out. Quality is Quality though and I accept that.... and as you say, you can't take it with you...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Wow, we would have liked a smaller bed on our S820, bigger lounge, more worktop, you must have some junk in the garage Martin to want one bigger than standard.
Tandem, mountain bikes, scooter, table and chairs BBQ etc etc, doesn't everybody(y)

Martin

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ugly front , ridiculous windscreen , the upholsterer needs shot in the eyes for choosing that fabric. ( looks like an orange sellers waiting room)

Other than that it looks about the same space as franky, about the same miles 3 years older and I'm not that keen on the layout.

Would have to be a nah no thanks for me

But each to their own puddin

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Ugly front , ridiculous windscreen , the upholsterer needs shot in the eyes for choosing that fabric. ( looks like an orange sellers waiting room)

Other than that it looks about the same space as franky, about the same miles 3 years older and I'm not that keen on the layout.

But each to their own puddin
I hope a funster doesn’t buy it after that glowing report NR:)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

But each to their own puddin[/QUOTE

Wow, that's a bit damning Tam. Just shows that everyone is different. For a big van I can't think of a better layout for 2 people. A separate large lounge, long sofa to relax on, captains chair and table, big rear transverse bed, large garage for junk, absolutely perfect.
It is tall with a big screen I grant you, that gives it some underfloor lockers too, great storage, for living in, perfect. Upholstery can be changed but I like it, bright and colourful.
I love it.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Agreed, it's a lovely van..

But I think the Motorhoming community have gone bonkers paying so much for something so old. 13 years old and nearly 50% the price of a house in some areas that will go up where the value of this will go down... I think we have all gone crazy... stir crazy and put ourselves at the mercy of dealers.

I'm sure whoever buys it will be happy....
I agree, It will be euro 3 or 4. The upholstery is horrific, the fridge is too small for the van size and its getting to the age where it will need things at MOT.

If you want similar but in my opinion better quality there are Frankias about for £40k at the same age and newer

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I agree, It will be euro 3 or 4. The upholstery is horrific, the fridge is too small for the van size and its getting to the age where it will need things at MOT.

If you want similar but in my opinion better quality there are Frankias about for £40k at the same age and newer
Exactly....like the one I already have.
My lounge is bigger than that ...so is my fridge. And I have all the storage you could need..to be honest the layout is pretty much the same as mine but I have 2 large sofas up front instead of the 3rd swivel and a drop down bed over the cab instead of the cupboards. I also have a full cooker instead of only 3 hobs alone a full size fridge freezer.
And incidentally I'm selling mine :p

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
£52,000 for that old relic. Some of you guys have gone mad. The interior looks like something out of the 60's (the 1860's).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I must be mad as a hatter then:LOL: I would have and "old relic" like this any day over a lot of the modern stuff. OK the upholstery isn't my choice and the fridge isn't big enough for us but it will be a quality van van for somebody and upholstery can be changed.

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I must be mad as a hatter then:LOL: I would have and "old relic" like this any day over a lot of the modern stuff. OK the upholstery isn't my choice and the fridge isn't big enough for us but it will be a quality van van for somebody and upholstery can be changed.

Martin

Yes so would I, much sooner have that than most of the modern stuff, pure quality.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We looked at a very similar model at S-M-C Newark a couple of years ago. TBH, they hadn't a clue as to what they were actually selling, ie, a top quality built german MH, which they took in on part ex for a Frankia. They answered lots of questions, but refused to let us have the previous owner's contact number. I managed to source it in the end, and it turns out that most of the answers the dealership gave, were lies. :( The previous owner who had nothing to lose, was extremely enlightning. ;)

The noisy and small compressor fridge, the need for 6 x new tyres, (but most importantly of all), the fact that it didn't have that "WOW" factor for Rita, were the reasons we didn't look into the purchase any further.

@Blue Knight. Andrew, Pheonix is a top quality German built MH. That will still be on the road when your Swifts, and Autotrails, and some European makes, etc, are all in the scrapyard. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes so would I, much sooner have that than most of the modern stuff, pure quality.
A Luxury class Frankia of t5hat age would have a full cooker, corian worktops in the kitchen and bathroom, full bonded GRP wood free body, better shower, full fridge freezer, decent upholstery and a windscreen you would be able to get a replacement for. Plus it would be £40K

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight. Andrew, Pheonix is a top quality German built MH. That will still be on the road when your Swifts, and Autotrails, and some European makes, etc, are all in the scrapyard. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

I had to read that twice Jock. I thought for a second that you were calling me a Swift or Autotrail owner. I don't mind a significant bit of abuse or banter but that would have taken things a bit too far:D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes I have to say 3 burners no oven compressor fridge plastic bathroom sink etc doesn't scream pure quality to me.
I think a lot of "pure quality " is simply attached to a name.
I've had Ford's in better condition than Mercedes I've owned etc

Its a nice van and it may well have cost £200k when new but it is still 2005 technology and I'd say my 2008 frankia has the sane quality but more modern technology.

But like everything it's each to their own.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Lots of negative comments , but I see compressor fridge/freezer as a positive , dual rear wheels , inline powertrain with rear wheel drive .
HD chassis good payload , they have a good name build wise.
In the end its what floats your boat , its a very broad church
From this
s-l225.jpg

to this
$_20.jpg

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes I have to say 3 burners no oven compressor fridge plastic bathroom sink etc doesn't scream pure quality to me.
I think a lot of "pure quality " is simply attached to a name.
I've had Ford's in better condition than Mercedes I've owned etc

Its a nice van and it may well have cost £200k when new but it is still 2005 technology and I'd say my 2008 frankia has the sane quality but more modern technology.

But like everything it's each to their own.

I too am puzzled about the 'quality' of the vehicle. I've never seen a new one - they may well cost £200K but looking at the one being discussed here I can't imagine parting with anything like £200K for it when new.

Last edited:
OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I too am puzzled about the 'quality' of the vehicle. I've never seen a new one - they may well cost £200K but looking at the one being discussed here I can't imagine parting with anything like £200K for it when new.

You have a Concorde and you even use the sole dealers name, yet you've never seen a Phoenix? Have a butchers here.

Broken Link Removed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It would have cost around £100k new so significantly more now and yes close to £200k now so a touch less than the equivalent Concorde. They are the Phoenix from an earlier falling out at Concorde, much as Morelo are from a later falling out.

Martin

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro