Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
I only hope the owner of an 'A class' yesterday at about 5pm on the A339 Alton to Basingstoke road suffered as much damage to his motor home as I did to mine! On a very narrow section of the road edged with tall hedging, instead of slowing down to a reasonable speed to be able to stop if need be and pulling in as close as possible to the hedge as I attempted to do, he didn't appear to anything other than continue at perhaps 40mph, and WAVE !!! just yards before the inevitable CRASH, my mirror in untold bits with various marks along the side of the van, needless to say he didn't stop! Thanks mate.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I would advise putting it down to experience.
Mirrors on motorhomes are a semi consumable items.
On a Ducato minibus I drive round country lanes we are on our 4th offside one courtesy usually of contractors bans.

Ebay is your friend here.
A new one will cost about £75.

Your A class oncomer might find a replacement for his harder to find.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Oops. That really spoilt your day.

You should not have to swallow the cost. I hope you can trace the other driver and claim for the repair.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If drivers put concentration on driving and not on waving to drivers they do not know they may have better control over their vehicles,
Last year someone coming from the opposite direction was waving at the van traveling in front of me next thing Bang bits of mirror and glass door handle hitting the front of my van we both stopped but the Hymer that hit the van in front of us just carried on.

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Yes your right, i have had to order one off ebay for £107, just couldn't believe that he wasn't slowing but waving!

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
If drivers put concentration on driving and not on waving to drivers they do not know they may have better control over their vehicles,
Last year someone coming from the opposite direction was waving at the van traveling in front of me next thing Bang bits of mirror and glass door handle hitting the front of my van we both stopped but the Hymer that hit the van in front of us just carried on.
I’m with you 100% on this one.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes, first call to the police. If nothing else they'll probably give you his name and address.

Sorry, don't fully agree with you @Jake Royd - OPs van has further damage, probably be a lot more than £75.

That said, of course, insurers will just treat it as "knock for knock" - who's to say, even with dashcam evidence, that OP isn't equally to blame? Your only chance then would be if police decided to prosecute - best of luck with that!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I doubt the police would be interested and your insurer will almost certainly treat it "Knock for Knock".

I suspect they definitely will not give you the other parties name and address.

Data protection, you might go round his house and clout him etc....

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Not being a Pedant, but Knock for Knock agreements between insurers died out years ago.

You are probably correct.

Perhaps I should have said you would both be held responsible and have to declare the accident on every vehicle insurance policy you hold for the next five years or so.

In my case that would be the car, modern bike and classic bike insurers.

OP
OP

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
This was a Hymer I think, couldn't be the same one surely?

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I had a similar incident on the NC500 earlier this year. O/S mirror housing smashed to bits. but amazingly the mirror glass was still intact. I had the dash cam footage and was going to go to the police. But even if I won the case my insurance would have gone up as I had been involved in an accident. As I have a multi-bike insurance and two other cars then all my premiums would have gone up. So I paid out £150 on eBay and fitted it myself.

Now on narrow country lanes, I pull in my OS mirror and use my rear camera as much as possible.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I doubt the police would be interested

They always used to . (y)And yes I did.:D

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Painful and upsetting I'm sure. Had similar when a landrover discovery decided the white line should be about central to their vehicle, scaletrix style, destroying my drivers lower mirror. Lucky it wasn't worse.

Anyhow all anyone said was knock for knock and that's it I'm afraid.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Just reporting it to the insurance Co will give you the 3rd degree for the next 5 years.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Had a off side mirror smash a few months ago £380 fitted ouch .

Mirror guards help .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Eriba wing mirror (Land Rover defender) £7.25 postage paid(y)

Check for any codes on the mirror head, you might find a non MH equivalent (i.e. cheaper!!)

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
Genuine electric mirror with temp sensor on ebay £176. Fitting too me 15 minutes. Brownhill's wanted £360

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I doubt the police would be interested and your insurer will almost certainly treat it "Knock for Knock".

Think you can get it yourself from the DVLA as it is an accident.
https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would advise putting it down to experience.
Mirrors on motorhomes are a semi consumable items.
On a Ducato minibus I drive round country lanes we are on our 4th offside one courtesy usually of contractors bans.

Ebay is your friend here.
A new one will cost about £75.

Your A class oncomer might find a replacement for his harder to find.
My hymer mirror would have cost about a thousand, after breaking it on the Peage post I didn't see at Boulogne , Luckily I was able to repair it but the prices are astronomical and NO spare parts available just new unit at full whack. A good reason not to buy an A class anything.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I’m very aware of the clash of mirrors having lost one in the same circumstances a couple of years ago and I always pull over to allow for a wide motorhome or lorry to past - but finding it difficault to control my temper when I get a blast on the horn from some of the kids and others who normally drive old VW’s and Corsa’s because we are holding them up.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Put a couple of desmo plastic mirrors on from a commercial vehicle spares supplier ,universal fit brackets and get the black and decker out. Certainly work out a bit cheaper. Spafax is another brand, used on older buses ect

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We clipped someone going the other way a couple of weeks ago and got away with it I think we were both on our own sides of the road just narrow. I think the mirrors on other mhs stick out further than our transit ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back