Choices choices, what to do (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Okay, first post so be gentle. Had a previous setup on a caravan so not a complete beginner.

I already have a 90 watt panel on my 2013 Hymer Exsis, it’s connected by a morningstar (I think) PWM controller to two 105AH batteries.

I need more as we off grid a lot, so....

I have a 275 watt panel, do I do the following choices.

1, Join them together giving me 365watts then put them through a Victron MPPT to the leisure batteries with a VSR relay to the chassis battery. This means more expense as I will need the VSR relay and a more powerful Victron controller.

2, Use the 90watt panel for the chassis battery, then use a smaller MPPT off the 275watt panel just for the leisure batteries?

Pros and cons of both and any advice is very welcome.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thanks, not sure what a vsr relay is but a battery master costing around £15 will do the same job, ie top up the starter battery when the leisure batteries are charged.
On another note I thought that hymers had an electrobloc system that allowed up to a particular wattage solar setup and starter charging built in?

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thanks, not sure what a vsr relay is but a battery master costing around £15 will do the same job, ie top up the starter battery when the leisure batteries are charged.
On another note I thought that hymers had an electrobloc system that allowed up to a particular wattage solar setup and starter charging built in?

Voltage sensitive relay, opens up to charge the chassis battery when a certain voltage is reached.

No idea ref the electroblock, caravans weren’t so complicated. ?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I’d do option 1 but use a Votronic controller, negating the need for an additional vsr, unless you use the chassis battery for anything other than basic vehicle duties.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Voltage sensitive 'intelligent' relay about £15 from ebay. Your vehicle battery shouldn't need charging from solar unless you are in one spot for a very long time. All your hab electrics will be from your hab batteries.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
All good suggestions so far, like the idea of the Votronic controller. The chassis battery will be feeding the alarm and radio amongst other parasitic loads, my thoughts are I may as well use the excess when it is there to help keep it topped up.

Let’s face it, for 9 months of the year, I probably have too much solar.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
How are you connecting the two solar panels? If in parallel, they should be the same nominal voltage. Usually about 21V or 36V. If in series, they need to be the same current capacity. I'd guess that neither of those is true.

You may be better with two separate controllers, both going to the leisure battery. Maybe get a dual output controller for the large panel, to feed a trickle charge to the starter battery.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Good point!

I have no idea of the specs of the 90 watt panel as it is glued on the roof and riveted to the angle, I suppose I can try and have a look underneath with a mirror or phone camera.

I am leaning toward option 1, at least then I have two independent systems I can alter to suit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just an easy way of connecting the solar does not control any charging.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would go with both panels in parallel. If you use a Votronic control it has a separate output to charge the starter battery although only 1 amp also an AES output to control the fridge.

If you go the VSR route make it is one designed for the job either a Battery master about £60 or a CBE Solar split charge relay about £25.

I have 300 watts of panels a Votronic 350 MMP regulator. I still use a CBE Relay as I had one around and can give up to 4 amps into the starter battery. I also have the fridge wired to the AES output so when the batteries are fully charged and there is enough solar the fridge switches to 12v.
Because of the dumb firmware in the Dometic fridge I added a mains powered relay in line with the AES output otherwise stupid fridge switches to 12v when on mains if the batteries are charged.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you look at your electroblock you should be able to read the model number and can then let us know so we can check the features it has. If it's like the one in our Globecar you'll need to fit a lead from the Votronic controller direct to the cab battery positive terminal (put a 5 amp max fuse in-line) as the electroblock doesn't feed the solar input to the cab battery to trickle charge it even though it looks like it does, see my website below for photos etc of my Globecar set-up.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you can't read the panel specification, another option is to put a multimeter on the terminals where the panel is wired to the controller. Also measure (or read) the voltage of the large panel. If they are much the same, you can wire them in parallel. I'd guess that the small one is about 24v and the large one is about 36V, so it's not possible, but maybe I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
So, alas it is only 21volts on the existing 90 watt so the panels are incompatible. Therefore I believe I am stuck with the option of moving the existing setup to the chassis battery and using the new regulator and 275watt panel for the habitation batteries.
Don’t think I will be going through the electroblock as the direct connection will be easier.
Only snag I can think of is that the fridge will think the engine is on, unless it has a separate ignition fed relay rather than a voltage sensitive one which I am sure is the case.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Or as Autorouter suggests, leave the current setup but use a Votronic controller to feed the cab battery as well.
Actually, that may be the best route. A 90 watt panel to top up a cab battery seems a lot.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
I would suggest the fridge 12v feed from the starter battery is via an alternator activated relay, not voltage sensitive, so don't worry about that.

If you don't go through the electrobloc, any amp usage monitor won't give you the correct reading.

Deffo find the model of electrobloc. More modern ones will charge the starter battery as well, and you can get a cable for the Votronic MPPT solar controllers to do just that and no need for a direct battery feed, though you may need to uprate the fuse. Amp usage reading will be accurate.

Not sure about the 90w panel. Of course, if you don't care about the ammeter, suggest two solar controllers directly connected to the batteries; a decent MPPT for the 275w and charge both hab and cab batteries, and the 90w just for the hab.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I don’t believe the electroblock model I have is equipped with an ammeter. It is the one with the rotating dial and lights for the gauge levels. When on hookup though it does trickle charge the chassis battery.

I think it’s an EBL 21, or might be 29. I can check when I get home.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Shame. Our 1995 Hymer has an analogue ammeter. Nicely old school. ?

I mounted three 80w panels in parallel, through a Votronic MPPT controller, then via the special cable into the electrobloc. The 'bloc is too old to charge the cab battery from the cable, so the special output from the controller goes straight to the cab battery. The ammeter still correctly reports [dis]charge.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It’s an EBL 29 so no ammeter.
Not bothered really as long as it’s charged.
Going to go for a Votronic 350 with direct connections to batteries, fused of course.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don’t believe the electroblock model I have is equipped with an ammeter. It is the one with the rotating dial and lights for the gauge levels. When on hookup though it does trickle charge the chassis battery.

I think it’s an EBL 21, or might be 29. I can check when I get home.
That is correct it will be a EBL29.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back