Cheap and Value for money sites................... (1 Viewer)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Following on from the most expensive sites in "campsite prices"

Where are all the cheap and value for money sites?

We all know about THS and CS/CLs but where can we get really good value for money in the UK

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Cheap and value and campsite and UK are not words that you often see in the same sentence.
However, they do exist in small numbers but of course, there's always a compromise to make.

Here's one local to me to start the list:

Mill House Caravan Park, Little Baddow, Essex
51.74645, 0.54879
Open April 1 to Sept 30
20 pitches
£11 per night per unit (up to 8m) includes 16a hook up.
Fresh water and waste facilities but no ablution facilities.

Good walking and fishing location.

http://www.millhousecaravanpark.co.uk/index.html

Oh, and no charge for dogs!;)

For anyone travelling down from "the badlands where there be dragons" - this site isn't too far off the route to Dartford Crossing which is only 29 miles further on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Cheap and value and campsite and UK are not words that you often see in the same sentence.
However, they do exist in small numbers but of course, there's always a compromise to make.
Here's one local to me to start the list:
Mill House Caravan Park, Little Baddow, Essex
;)
That avatar GW is a face with much character and wisdom is it of yourself.;)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shell Island http://www.shellisland.co.uk/ £35 per week if you are over 60. No electric, but most modern motorhomes can manage a week without hookup. Small shop and bar on site with there own harbour and slipway. Fishing from the beach if you dont own a boat. Fantastic views all around.
Morocco 012.jpg

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

We like Woodlands Grove campsite between Totnes and Dartmouth in Devon. You can get 5 nights (sunday till friday morning) for £54, including electric, awning, dog etc. This is already pretty good but in addition you get free admission every day into the theme park right next door.

Offer is available anytime outside the school holidays.

Paul

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have used Haven sites a couple of times, Not exactly our first choice, but good value for money, we are not now using any of the Club sites due to cost, we prefer CL's or wild camping when possible.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Camping n caravan club have got lots of weekend meets and holiday tepary sites 7.50 pn a lot are on farms . We stayed on a site in Cornwall with c.c.c for 8 pn and it was all singing and dancing. No EHU to join £40 but you save a lot in sites.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Camping n caravan club have got lots of weekend meets and holiday tepary sites 7.50 pn a lot are on farms . We stayed on a site in Cornwall with c.c.c for 8 pn and it was all singing and dancing. No EHU to join £40 but you save a lot in sites.
I've been lurking on all the DA websites to find a bargain that ticks all the boxes. They do look really good value, even though I'm not sure what 'pun' means - per unit/night? If their pricing bundles all 6 of us together, it makes a significant saving.
Only thing worrying me is if it's deemed bad manners to enjoy the savings by parking up and doing all the touristy things in the area, rather than making Easter bonnets etc. (I could be persuaded I guess ;)). Will the van be pelted by eggs whilst we're out? :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been lurking on all the DA websites to find a bargain that ticks all the boxes. They do look really good value, even though I'm not sure what 'pun' means - per unit/night? If their pricing bundles all 6 of us together, it makes a significant saving.
Only thing worrying me is if it's deemed bad manners to enjoy the savings by parking up and doing all the touristy things in the area, rather than making Easter bonnets etc. (I could be persuaded I guess ;)). Will the van be pelted by eggs whilst we're out? :D
We've been on several rallies with both C&CC and MCC and never felt pressured to take part in anything organised. "pun" does mean "per unit night" but I think it's normally a maximum of 2 adults (and, maybe, 2 children) with a couple of quid charged per extra adult per night.
Details on the Out & About section of the C&CC web site normally give pricing details and contact numbers for any enquiries.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
DA camping and Temporary Holiday Sites offer great value and as GJH says there is no pressure to get involved if you don't want to.
All the prices are available before you go.

This is the whole point of these DA's and THS........so you can take the whole family to different areas close to events and "touristy" areas....................so fill yer boots and enjoy.

Edit:- Pricing extras are usually for adults (over 17) with children being free.

And then only a small charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've heard that Haven parks do some good deals.. so I had a look ..not my cup of tea but may suit some..

Not Haven but one site that we booked which seemed really good value at £9 per night was Parkdean at Mullion, Cornwall. The touring site was tucked behind acres of statics. It was very scruffy and the showers were mouldy. Only stayed one night although we had booked for three.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I've just booked Haggerston Castle (haven) 5 nights..........£47.50
Thurston Manor 2 nights...........£26.90

We'll give these a try .......all facilities included.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

When your camping with Fun things are always optional and up to the individual wether they join in or not, though meet and greet coffee/cake mornings are a good way for new members to to meet other funsters. :Smile:

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Thanks everyone - very helpful.
Not a rally, but one site we're going to try over the Easter break is Hoburne Blue Anchor. Great location on the sea front, close to West Somerset Railway, pool and hot tub, only £42 for 6 of us for 2 nights. Struggled to find a bad review, which is praise indeed going by some dreadful ones of other places nearby.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'd be interested to hear what you think of Blue Anchor after your visit.

It's one of the few sites we've decided never to return too !

Apart from the low price, I can't think of any positives for visiting - sorry !

It's very popular (our neighbours even own a static there) but for the life of me, I can't see the appeal.

Hope you have a great holiday, Minehead and the railway are certainly worth a visit (y)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've heard that Haven parks do some good deals.. so I had a look ..not my cup of tea but may suit some..

http://www.haven.com/touring-camping/offer/Special_Offers_Main.aspx

Maybe good prices off peak but we've been before in summer and not cheap!
Just used your link to book for 4 nights in August for my oldests birthday ,with discount a mere £274 !
We've paid around that before but I'm starting to realises that places like that take the piss.Our first trip to a site was to Searles at Hunstanton which has enough to do for kids indoor and outdoor pools ,fishing ,golf,seafront location. Some people think that it is expensive ,however whilst walking around one busy summers day I spotted a camping field .I enquired at reception and was told that for the 4 of us and the dog it was £18 a night including leisure passes !
That's what I call value for money so every hot weekend we get in the summer we can be found roughing it in the field or by the pool!
If only more sites offered basics instead of overcharging for pitches with all the bells and whistles that some don't need.

Vlad

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If only more sites offered basics instead of overcharging for pitches with all the bells and whistles that some don't need.
It's supply & demand. If they can sell the pitches anyway why should they reduce their prices because some of us don't want all the facilities?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Maybe good prices off peak but we've been before in summer and not cheap!
Just used your link to book for 4 nights in August for my oldests birthday ,with discount a mere £274 !

I said they did deals.. not that they were cheap at summer peak periods.. or indeed cheap at any time..

. for example..

4 nights with all facilitates £28 .. I call that cheap and a deal ..

Your holiday selections
Holiday Type
Touring & Camping

Tourer Type and Length
MOTORHOME (up to 7.0 metres)

Park
The Orchards

Duration
4 nights

Arrival date
Mon 20 Apr 2015

Pitch
Electric Grass with Awning - Approx pitch size 7.9mx5m (26ftx16ft)

2 Adults

0 Child
Inclusive Addons:

• FREE use of Entertainment & Facilities Broken Link Removed
    • Price Promise Broken Link Removed

Total holiday price including any extras
£28.00

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
It's supply & demand. If they can sell the pitches anyway why should they reduce their prices because some of us don't want all the facilities?

Likewise they could recognise the demand and make more money by offering a no frills service on a corner of grass somewhere.

Vlad

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Likewise they could recognise the demand and make more money by offering a no frills service on a corner of grass somewhere.

Vlad
But why should they sell that corner of grass cheaply if they can sell it at a higher price? How many caravan sites have licences for more pitches than they actually have, so have the option to provide extra pitches in odd corners?

One might just as well expect a Michelin starred restaurant to serve Heinz beans on Warburtons toast for a quid rather than serve their normal high priced fare.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A few years ago found a Municipal site in France that was free complete with showers. Sign at entrance "Camping gratuit sans gardien".

Anyone beat that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back