Chausson said you cannot fit a 100 amp Lithium battery (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Apparently Chausson say you can only fit a only a 95 Amp battery , if you fit a 100 amp or more you will invalidate Warranty !! I don't understand why only I have been told they only fit 95 amp batteries in Europe. Any ideas ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I don't think you can make a 95Ah lithium battery. The cells only come in certain sizes. So I think that means they only fit lead acid batteries.

Does your van have a lithium mode for the chargers?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can only guess they think their electrics can't take the current a larger battery can either demand or produce. It may not be anything to do with the battery being lithium, especially as lithium batteries have a BMS which can control the input and output current.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I can only guess they think their electrics can't take the current a larger battery can either demand or produce. It may not be anything to do with the battery being lithium, especially as lithium batteries have a BMS which can control the input and output current.
Maybe. But then shouldn't they state the amp limit and that a fuse of that size must remain in place? It could be as low as 25 amps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Exisiting Wiring size ?
Probably. But just because a bigger battery could deliver a high current, it doesn't mean you'd use it. I've got 280Ah of lithium that'll pass 200A. But I've fused it so it can only take 70A or deliver 50A.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Probably. But just because a bigger battery could deliver a high current, it doesn't mean you'd use it. I've got 280Ah of lithium that'll pass 200A. But I've fused it so it can only take 70A or deliver 50A.
Have you also told your BMS to limit current to below these values?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Put the 100ah lithium battery in and if there are any warranty issues swap it for the 95amp that was originally supplied.
Just for info my original van battery was a 95amp agm , peugeot base Elddis. (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm no expert but it could be that the electrical system would struggle to cope with the rate of charge with a big lithium battery at a low state of charge if there's a solar panel does the controller have a lithium setting. If it's a bigger lead acid battery it's probably less of an issue.The warranty on the electrical system I think will be pretty short so it's either wait for the end of the warranty or do it and accept paying for anything that goes wrong.

Reactions: DBK
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Thinking about this a bit more.

Putting a bigger battery in would not matter at all to any circuits on the outputs of the batteries as all of them will draw the same load and be protected by a fuse anyway.

So all, if any, problems will be on the battery charging side. So what you would have to consider is, will the bigger battery that you propose fitting take a greater current from any or all of your charging units ?

As fitted our MH had a single 95Ah leisure battery. Without doing all the fancy calculations I looked at the size of cable going to it from the alternator and the on-board charger and they looked well thick enough to carry the current required to charge both batteries.

The solar panel is not an issue because it is limited in the current it can produce and as long as the cables from it to the batteries are heavy enough and the current output from the panel lower than the maximum charging current to the batteries then it will never exceed any safety factors.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Thinking about this a bit more.

Putting a bigger battery in would not matter at all to any circuits on the outputs of the batteries as all of them will draw the same load and be protected by a fuse anyway.

So all, if any, problems will be on the battery charging side. So what you would have to consider is, will the bigger battery that you propose fitting take a greater current from any or all of your charging units ?

As fitted our MH had a single 95Ah leisure battery. Without doing all the fancy calculations I looked at the size of cable going to it from the alternator and the on-board charger and they looked well thick enough to carry the current required to charge both batteries.

The solar panel is not an issue because it is limited in the current it can produce and as long as the cables from it to the batteries are heavy enough and the current output from the panel lower than the maximum charging current to the batteries then it will never exceed any safety factors.
I guess its also that the chargers may have to work at high output and therefore potentially be hotter for longer periods if the batteries are flat - that might shorten their lives a bit, especially in hot climates, so no worries in the UK then!

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
If as your info suggests you have a 2017 van, then its long out of warranty anyway. The only warranty you'll have left is a damp ingress warranty.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I can think of a couple of things Chausson might be worrying about. Firstly if the charging of the leisure battery goes through a relay it might not be rated high enough to cope with the demands of a bigger battery. A lithium battery is capable of hoovering up many more amps than a lead acid one and it might be more than the wiring that is under stress. Secondly did they specify a high capacity alternator on the base vehicle, if not this might also be a limiting factor.

With lithium it is best to use a B2B for charging because this will limit the power the installation is having to cope with.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If as your info suggests you have a 2017 van, then its long out of warranty anyway. The only warranty you'll have left is a damp ingress warranty.
That's what I thought, what's it got to do with them what you do with it, did you ask them or is it in the manual or what.
Folks on here are doubling up on batterys all the time , are they all against the rules?
Our ambulance came with a 90 a battery it's now got two hundred amp one's, nothing hot yet.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Moving from a 95amp Gel battery to 100amp battery , would 5amps make that much difference ? although its a Lithium.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Moving from a 95amp Gel battery to 100amp battery , would 5amps make that much difference ? although its a Lithium.
5Ah wouldn’t make a big difference but if you are going to recommend a limit I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. The internal resistance of a LiFePO4 battery is very low, meaning that it will accept a much higher charge than a Gel one which might put a bigger strain on the original components. Many Li users introduce a B2B which regulates the flow of current (Amps) and the better ones can be set to match the limitations of the existing wiring, fuses and relays.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back