Channel Tunnel Questions (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autograph 79 4I
Hi All,

I am planning to use the train crossing on Monday 11th March with an early'ish time of around 08.00 across to France then heading down to the Costa Blanca. I have never done this and seeking some advise. I have read through various posts with different opinions and views on some of the topics.

I have a Flexi ticket and was wondering if I changed it to a day earlier (Sunday) it would help avoid any congestion? I am travelling down from the North East so would take me the best part of the day to reach Folkstone. Would It be best to get an evening crossing then pitching up in France or pitch up in or near Folkstone for and early crossing? I am also looking for advise on travelling avoiding tolls in France and noticed a few of you use the Western route. I have 3 or 4 days to cover the distance. What sort of towns / cities should I be aiming for on the route down?

TA Steve
It is generally quiet on the Autoroutes but you need to weigh up the costs. Probably better though if you are going to Spain in a limited time away.

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
AS Winchcombe
Exp
Not so new now
It is generally quiet on the Autoroutes but you need to weigh up the costs. Probably better though if you are going to Spain in a limited time away.
I agree. It’s great taking the non toll roads but zipping down the autoroute when needed is a real time saver. We used Fulli for the first time, having had emovis previously and it worked perfectly in both France and Spain.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes that has been our practice. It has worked well. If you can make Canterbury on Saturday before the car park closes you can get well on your way into France before the HGVs
Can now get into the Canterbury New Dover Road Park and Ride 24 hours a day since they started using ANPR.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Can now get into the Canterbury New Dover Road Park and Ride 24 hours a day since they started using ANPR.
and it's £4 per day, starting at midnight.
So if you arrive before midnight and leave after midnight it's £8 for the night.

For the late starters, park in the pub carpark of the Old Gate Inn next to the P&R
and then drive into the P&R at 00.01 !
You will have earned a free £4 pint!

(The Canterbury P&R has a black and gray water dump area and you can fill up with water)

GD13RUM

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic 890
Hi All,

I am planning to use the train crossing on Monday 11th March with an early'ish time of around 08.00 across to France then heading down to the Costa Blanca. I have never done this and seeking some advise. I have read through various posts with different opinions and views on some of the topics.

I have a Flexi ticket and was wondering if I changed it to a day earlier (Sunday) it would help avoid any congestion? I am travelling down from the North East so would take me the best part of the day to reach Folkstone. Would It be best to get an evening crossing then pitching up in France or pitch up in or near Folkstone for and early crossing? I am also looking for advise on travelling avoiding tolls in France and noticed a few of you use the Western route. I have 3 or 4 days to cover the distance. What sort of towns / cities should I be aiming for on the route down?

TA Steve
We left West Yorkshire three weeks ago and stopped over at the Canterbury park and ride, arrived at tunnel for 8.15 for the 9.15 train, travelling west cost of France to first camper car park at Veigné (6 1/2) hour
Left next morning and traveled to Montech camper car park, both really good
Left next morning and travelled to camping Salata northern Spain, stayed three days.
Left salata and travelled to Alcossebre
Weathers very mixed at the minute but a lot better than uk
Three weeks in and we are at Devesa gardens.

I hope you work out a good route

G

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Hi All,

TA Steve
We travelled down to the Tunnel from newcastle...384 miles about 6 hrs..
We stop off at a pub in great casterton called The Crown...lovey food and friendly people..also dog friendly..
Big car park..we parked at the back and had a quiet nights sleep..its about 3 hrs from our house then 3 hrs to the Tunnel.. its straight off the A1..👍👍

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
Hi All,

TA Steve
Have a look at the About France.com website, lots of info about routes. There is a good route combining tolls and non tolls and when using specific tolls could save you a fair amount of time
Eg use the tolls around Tours, small charge but can save you about an hour

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I tend to pay by card as it is so easy, however, I’m always concerned that I might drop it. Feeding a note into the machine was even more perilous especially if a howling wind was blowing through the toll booth , as it mostly does.

Feb 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
We recently did Dieppe, to La Jonquera (Spain) in 3 x days, via Nonancourt, Orleans, and Clermont-Ferrand. It was non toll Autoroutes/Dual N Routes most of the way. The only tolls we paid were the Millau Bridge, (shan't be doing that again at €33 a pop), and the short stretch of the A9 to avoid driving through Perpignan.

I'm the only driver, and plated at 6850Kgs, my maximum speeds ranged from 80 to 110Kph, ( 50 - 70Mph). Had I been solo, I could easily have made Valencia in 3 x days, or Alicante in 4 x days............non toll. (y)
From Eurotunnel at Cocquelles, it's only a couple of hours more driving.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
At Millau we drove down into Millau before bridge staying at the Aire du Camping Car and exploring quaint town before driving up up other side. For less than bridge ..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
At Millau we drove down into Millau before bridge staying at the Aire du Camping Car and exploring quaint town before driving up up other side. For less than bridge ..
Yes, we have done that in the past ourselves, but chose to cross the bridge this year saving us valuable time, and getting into Spain.

We will detour through the town on the way back, as we'll be in a more leisurely mode. :)

Cheers,

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We recently did Dieppe, to La Jonquera (Spain) in 3 x days, via Nonancourt, Orleans, and Clermont-Ferrand. It was non toll Autoroutes/Dual N Routes most of the way. The only tolls we paid were the Millau Bridge, (shan't be doing that again at €33 a pop), and the short stretch of the A9 to avoid driving through Perpignan.

Cheers,

The Millau bridge was expensive JockandRita ,we paid €16 in October

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I don't think that's unusual from our past experience. They used to run 4 trains an hour now its 1 empty one. Wonder if the days of the tunnel are coming to an end as it can't be commercially viable to run it like that.
Could be the tunnel's terrific price increases, ferries still look busy.

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
We stayed in the CAM site 4miles from tunnel lovely site with a pub opp and shop It took 5mins to get the tunnel. We took the 7am crossing no congestion and a super easy process for it being our first time !
Which site is that please? We normally stay in a nearby CL but my wife has been worrying because last year it was very muddy so we're staying at the Black Horse site in a few weeks. I think that we're on a 7.20am train.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We used to set off (again from the North East), early Saturday morning for an early afternoon crossing. Recently we've tried leaving late afternoon Friday for a late night / midnight tunnel crossing, to end up in France in the early hours. Arrive at a favourite aire about an hour later. So up on Saturday morning ready for further travel to gain extra time out of our away time (leaving France sharpish and heading east/south).

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
First pay toll in Portugal the lady in the cage decided and charged us Class 4. Don't know don't care if that's right or wrong.

May 19, 2023
Cwmbran, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Looking
Hi All,

TA Steve
Hi re your travel plans. We are keen skiers and have travelled to French Alps many times. Now we have a MH I would definitely overnight at the tunnel parking areas in Folkestone. It’s quite organised and safe.

I would not set off too early through the tunnel because exiting in Calais is easier whilst you get to grips with the first few roundabouts in daylight. But 8am it will be light by the time you get there , depending on customs scans and searches.

In January. February March there is often lots of traffic heading to the Alps through central routes and especially on weekends and varying school holidays in France. Personally I’ve found the speeds to be quite challenging. But the Western route might be easier, We usually come home this route.

I also wouldn’t avoid the tolls and I would invest in a tag. It makes the whole journey much easier and less stressful.

Wishing you a smashing trip. We are doing this trip Winter 24.

OP
OP
Moto GBR
Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
Hi re your travel plans. We are keen skiers and have travelled to French Alps many times. Now we have a MH I would definitely overnight at the tunnel parking areas in Folkestone. It’s quite organised and safe.

I would not set off too early through the tunnel because exiting in Calais is easier whilst you get to grips with the first few roundabouts in daylight. But 8am it will be light by the time you get there , depending on customs scans and searches.

In January. February March there is often lots of traffic heading to the Alps through central routes and especially on weekends and varying school holidays in France. Personally I’ve found the speeds to be quite challenging. But the Western route might be easier, We usually come home this route.

I also wouldn’t avoid the tolls and I would invest in a tag. It makes the whole journey much easier and less stressful.

Wishing you a smashing trip. We are doing this trip Winter 24.
What is a Tag?

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
We have booked a ferry pitch at Black Horse Farm which is about the closest to Folkestone and you can come and go any time. So we're aiming to get there after work on a Friday night, and early train on Saturday morning.
I use the Drum Inn, although it's up to 30 quid now and I always feel obliged to eat or drink in the pub!

OP
OP
Moto GBR
Apr 12, 2021
Next to The Rusty Angel
Funster No
MH
Race Van
Thanks for all the replies,

I have drawn up an outline of the route and open to detour from it.

One final question, can I take milk , bacon, sausage across in the MH? There are conflicting reports, some say no then others say for your own consumption?

TA Steve

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The thing to consider is, if they do they will most likely say dump it in that bin before you go. Don't winge about it there or on here :LOL: :giggle:;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back