CBE Control Panel & CBE Distribution Unit/Fuse Box (2 Viewers)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thats the odd bit ...my relay is switched from the control panel ..and as soon as it does the control panel lights up...
Andy.
Its all black magic Andy, I have only turned ours off once and that was when I changed the batteries when I connected it back up there was a resounding kerchunk from something but I don't know where so hopefully never need to know, since then I have not dared switch it off just on case.

Martin

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Yes that's were my information above came from, the only conclusion I can see on that thread is that the OP had his panel reprogrammed but it still didn't work properly.

Martin
Yes, Martin I edited my post after looking at the outcome. You would hope that the shutdown systems would protect the electrics from an expensive, if not fully functioning, repair.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
OK different box to ours Robert, we have both B1 and B2 on the same board you have the separate SB-150 taking B1 and B2 and I assume the switching for B2 battery charging when the engine is running is inside that as well, BUT what is the bit next to it with the blue light? do you think it is the split charge relay did it have a cover on with a name?

What model number is your Distribution Box?

Martin

I was told that the SB150 was the split charge relay when I bought it but that was by a hab service organisation not a main dealer and certainly not Travelworld. He was engaged by the Agent I bought the van off to cab and hab service it ready for my use. I have now taken the cover off to show the interior which does appear to have a relay in the middle.

The model number for the distribution box is CBE DS 450 with a number underneath but the 2nd digit has been smudged and is illegible! 2?9458.

The item with the blue light - I have no idea but its like an aluminium heat sink and the black central section is that black goo that they pour in to seal the electronics inside which goes almost hard. It has never ever had a cover and it looks like there never ever has been.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
IMG_4620.jpg
IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4616.jpg
I have now taken some more photos to try and show and evidence what is going on.

The 2 photos of the volt meter are to show firstly the power at the distribution panel which was 14.32 and the battery which was also 14.32.

The inside of my SB 150 is quite different to the earlier french one that someone put up earlier.
I have also shown the front and back view of my CBE 320 main controller, which is still not working!

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I suspect the next step will be to buy one of each of the type of relays that I have and try a new one in each socket and see what happens. By all accounts once the voltage is above 13.5 or whatever the control panel is supposed to come on again automatically. I have the horrible feeling that I am going to need to buy a new distribution board on the basis that none of the other end user devices are working e.g. Satellite dish raising switch, Alde Hot Water/Heating controller, awning light and cooking hob and main CBE control panel.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
There is one relay that looks very common and that is the Zettler AZ9731-1C-1zDC2D2 NO/NC 40/30A 09X13 made in China. I have seen 6 of those so far!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
View attachment 283222 View attachment 283223 View attachment 283224 View attachment 283225 View attachment 283226 View attachment 283227 I have now taken some more photos to try and show and evidence what is going on.

The 2 photos of the volt meter are to show firstly the power at the distribution panel which was 14.32 and the battery which was also 14.32.

The inside of my SB 150 is quite different to the earlier french one that someone put up earlier.
I have also shown the front and back view of my CBE 320 main controller, which is still not working!
Hi Robert

I think the SB-150 is a different beast to the French thing, the SB-150 is the split charge where the French this is just an isolator I think. Still don't know what the thing with the blue light is but it seems to be directly inline with the 12v feed to the distribution box but you have power there so(y)

But I will be honest and say as far as fixing it I have not got a clue.

Martin

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I suspect the next step will be to buy one of each of the type of relays that I have and try a new one in each socket and see what happens. By all accounts once the voltage is above 13.5 or whatever the control panel is supposed to come on again automatically. I have the horrible feeling that I am going to need to buy a new distribution board on the basis that none of the other end user devices are working e.g. Satellite dish raising switch, Alde Hot Water/Heating controller, awning light and cooking hob and main CBE control panel.
Don’t forget the @Bobby22 post. From the link in that It appeared the fault was in the control panel not the distribution board. Possibly not an isolated incident either.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@BreweryDave had a problem with a dead controll panel.
Maybe he could comment?

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The nearest dealer who deals with anything remotely like mine are Chelston who are Carthago dealers who seem to use CBE gear. It might be worth phone call as they are only about 40 miles away at Wellington. Other than that it will finding someone with experience of CBE kit.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There's a guy in Wales who repairs them. I'll find the link and post it later. Bottom line is when they fail they're knackered. Carthago wanted over a grand for mine, but when I traded the van in and disclosed the problem the carthago dealer charged me £350 for a replacement.......... Go figure.... Same panel as yours!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Seem to have the 320pc control panel for £186 here

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not being condescending, you have pressed and held the power button for up to 30 seconds?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Robert

Quite often stuff like this is a duff battery, I can see that you've tested the batteries as a pair, have you tried disconnecting one at a time?

Jon

Btw do you have PV's?

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Rummaging around on the Internet I came across these people who seem to be very knowledgeable with a vast amount of helpful data on their website.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk

A lot of warnings about upping battery capacity when the rest of the system might not be up to it showing burnt out boards etc. They also have some very useful sounding advice on batteries. Looks like a good resource and they might be into repairing my bits. They are not keen on B to B's and prefer uprating cables instead. I'll be giving them a call.

Based in North Wales so maybe are the firm that @BreweryDave found.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Hi Robert

Quite often stuff like this is a duff battery, I can see that you've tested the batteries as a pair, have you tried disconnecting one at a time?

Jon

Btw do you have PV's?

Jon - I have 2 battery sets. The original was a pair of 110amp Hancooks which were 4 years old and which I have yet to test but I assumed that they might have an issue especially as they were the ones that ran down when the EHU tripped and the control panel shut off to save them. They have been recharged using my CTEK 25 amp charger but I have yet to test them.

The batteries now in use to try and get the system going again are a pair of Varta LFD180's which are fully charged and are showing 14.32 volts on the CTEK charger.

Please excuse my ignorance but what are PV's?

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
not being condescending, you have pressed and held the power button for up to 30 seconds?

The instructions say to hold in for 2 seconds so I have held it in for much longer than that but probably not as long as 30 seconds so I will try that tomorrow. Thank you.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Seem to have the 320pc control panel for £186 here

Whilst that is the right standard master control panel the N + B version is customised for N + B and is not the same as the one that I have. I daresay that I will either have to get my unit repaired or by from a N + B dealer or direct from the factory to get the right one.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Jon - I have 2 battery sets. The original was a pair of 110amp Hancooks which were 4 years old and which I have yet to test but I assumed that they might have an issue especially as they were the ones that ran down when the EHU tripped and the control panel shut off to save them. They have been recharged using my CTEK 25 amp charger but I have yet to test them.

The batteries now in use to try and get the system going again are a pair of Varta LFD180's which are fully charged and are showing 14.32 volts on the CTEK charger.

Please excuse my ignorance but what are PV's?
Solar panels

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Rummaging around on the Internet I came across these people who seem to be very knowledgeable with a vast amount of helpful data on their website.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk

A lot of warnings about upping battery capacity when the rest of the system might not be up to it showing burnt out boards etc. They also have some very useful sounding advice on batteries. Looks like a good resource and they might be into repairing my bits. They are not keen on B to B's and prefer uprating cables instead. I'll be giving them a call.

Based in North Wales so maybe are the firm that @BreweryDave found.
They closed down their workshops some time ago due to health problems but Alan still does some repairs at home depending on his state of health. Worth giving him a ring a very helpful guy.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Here is another firm professing to do CBE repairs:-

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Solar panels

Hi again Jon - now I recognise the term Solar Panels!

Yes I had Vanbitz put 2 on the roof but they are wired though Victron controllers straight to the batteries and not via the N + B electrical systems.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Photo-votaics, they can have a strange effec
Hi again Jon - now I recognise the term Solar Panels!

Yes I had Vanbitz put 2 on the roof but they are wired though Victron controllers straight to the batteries and not via the N + B electrical systems.
Is it worth covering them and disconnecting just to be sure?

I'm sure they would have been fitted correctly but components can fail.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So back to the thingy with the blue light, I think it is a Victron Battery protect device (old model) most likely inherited when VB fitted solar etc, I can not find anything that tells me what status the blue light is reporting in its on state is it usually on Robert @Abacist https://victrondistributors.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Datasheet-Battery-Protect-EN.pdf

If it was mine I might be tempted to bridge it out or bypass it just to make sure it's not playing silly B's.

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Photo-votaics, they can have a strange effec

Is it worth covering them and disconnecting just to be sure?

I'm sure they would have been fitted correctly but components can fail.

Hi Jon

In changing the batteries over I had to disconnect the solar and that is easy the way VanBitz do it as they provide inline fuses that you can just remove to stop the power flowing.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
So back to the thingy with the blue light, I think it is a Victron Battery protect device (old model) most likely inherited when VB fitted solar etc, I can not find anything that tells me what status the blue light is reporting in its on state is it usually on Robert @Abacist https://victrondistributors.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Datasheet-Battery-Protect-EN.pdf

If it was mine I might be tempted to bridge it out or bypass it just to make sure it's not playing silly B's.

Martin

Well discovered! You did very well to find that - like a needle in a haystack!

That was there when I bought it so I imagine that its original N + B fitment. It is certainly nothing that VB added. The previous owners were the sort never to touch anything! The blue light is always on when there is a charged battery connected and off when the battery is disconnected.

However your idea is a good one as there is a little black wire that goes off into the distribution box so is connected to part of the brain of the thing and may well be affecting the coming back to life!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Martin
We’ve got a similar one in our van, with a flashing blue light.
Disconnects the load from the leisure batteries if the voltage gets too low.
Should automatically reconnect when the voltage increases.
We’ve akso got a separate switch which throws a relay which also disconnects all the loads from the battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back